ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will host a Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) in Pretoria, South Africa, from 21-25 May. The course will involve approximately 25 participants selected from across the continent, and is a key component of the TfP. It aims to prepare experienced civilians, working in various relevant fields of expertise in Africa, for service in peacekeeping and peace building missions.
On 8 May 2007, Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, will deliver a presentation on “the Future of Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy’s New Issues in Security Course (NISC).
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme has been assisting the African Union Peace Support Operations Division (AU PSOD) with the development of the civilian dimension of the AU African Standby Force (ASF). Specifically the programme has assisted with the formulation of the project document entitled, ‘Draft Policy Framework of the Civilian Dimension of the ASF’.
Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, will brief the G8+ Africa Clearing House meeting on 21 March in Berlin, Germany, on the Civilian Dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF) project. The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD is supporting the AU Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD) with the development of the civilian dimension of the African Standby Force. This project is now in its fourth phase. The project is funded by the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, has been invited to address a select group of officers from the South African Army on “Preparing the South African Army Future Peace Missions” on 16 March in Tswane, South Africa. The briefing has been arranged in the context of the Army’s Vision 2020 project.
ACCORD’s Peace and Security Unit Programme Manager, Karishma Rajoo, will represent ACCORD at a UN workshop entitled, “Peacekeeping-Peacebuilding Interface: Core Tasks, Objectives and Emerging Doctrine for UN Peace Operations - With Special Reference to Lessons Learned in Africa.” The workshop will be held in Accra, Ghana from 15-17 March 2007, and is coordinated by the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO), the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC) and the Centre for International Peace Operations (ZIF).
Ms. Yvonne Kasumba, Senior Programme Officer for ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme, will participate in a “Peacekeeping Training Support and Coordination” workshop in Addis Ababa from 24-26 April, hosted by the African Peace Support Training Association (APSTA).
Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellowwith ACCORD's Peace Operations Unit, will participate in a workshop on 'Coordinated Approaches to Security, Development and Peacemaking: Lessons Learned from Afghanistan and Liberia', hosted by the Centre for Military and Strategic Studies of the University of Calgary and the Washington D.C.-based Institute of World Affairs, from 30-31 March in Calgary, Canada.
Mr Kwezi Mngqibisa, Manager of Country Programmes and Interventions at ACCORD, will be attending a seminar on the “Challenges of Peacekeeping Training in Africa” organised by the Africa Institute of South Africa, from 14-16 March. The seminar will explore the various peacekeeping training institutions and mechanisms on the continent, from regional organisations and RECs, to regional peacekeeping training centres and NGOs in the field.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme Senior Programme Officer, Yvonne Kasumba, will be attending the Executive Committee Meeting for the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers (IAPTC), from 12-14 March 2007. The meeting will be hosted by the Folke Bernadotte Academy in Stockholm, Sweden.
Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, will chair the 2nd Annual Peacekeeping, Stability and Developmental Operations Africa 2007 Conference on Monday 12 March. He will deliver an opening address on “The Future of Peacekeeping: Challenges and Opportunities Over the Next Decade” and will contribute to the conference later in the day with a presentation on “Discussing the Development and Security Interface”.
- Conflict management for peacekeepers
- ACCORD participates in Swedish security sector reform meeting
- Peace Operations in Africa
- AU PSOD Task Team Meeting in Ethiopia
- ACCORD's Cedric de Coning writes in 'International Peacekeeping'
- ACCORD conducts training for SADC RPTC
- Oslo seminar on good governance in the Horn and South Africa
- Lecture on 'The Dynamics of Conflict and Peace Systems in Africa'
- ACCORD participates in executive course in management of multinational peace missions
- “Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy
- ‘The Future of Peacekeeping in Africa’ at the 8th Annual Seminar on Military Power
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres conference
- ACCORD conducts DDR Specialisation course
- The civilian dimension of the African Standby Force: Technical Experts Workshop
- ACCORD conducts civilian peacekeeping and peacebuilding mission preparedness course
- ACCORD TfP Programme conducts conflict management training for KPSTC
- ACCORD participates in DPKO gender training development workshop
- “Peacekeeping - Peacebuilding: Preparing for the Future” conference
- Privatized military operations study
- ACCORD joins international disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration training group