ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme Senior Programme Officer, Yvonne Kasumba, will be attending the Executive Committee Meeting for the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers (IAPTC), from 12-14 March 2007. The meeting will be hosted by the Folke Bernadotte Academy in Stockholm, Sweden.
ACCORD’s Peace and Security Unit Programme Manager, Karishma Rajoo, will represent ACCORD at a UN workshop entitled, “Peacekeeping-Peacebuilding Interface: Core Tasks, Objectives and Emerging Doctrine for UN Peace Operations - With Special Reference to Lessons Learned in Africa.” The workshop will be held in Accra, Ghana from 15-17 March 2007, and is coordinated by the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO), the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC) and the Centre for International Peace Operations (ZIF).
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme is in the final stages of the development of its “Conflict Management for Peacekeepers” handbook. The handbook serves as a practical guide to managing conflict in contemporary complex peace operations, and provides a broad introduction to all aspects of conflict management.
On 1 March 2007, Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, delivered a paper on “Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy’s European Training Course in Security Policy.
The latest edition of International Peacekeeping: The Yearbook of International Peace Operations (Vol II, 2007, Koninklijke Brill N.V.) contains a chapter by Cedric de Coning, ACCORD Research Fellow, on ‘Civil-Military Coordination and UN Peacebuilding Operations’.
On 18 November 2006, Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow in ACCORD's Peace and Security Unit, delivered two presentations on "Complex Peace Building Systems" and "South Africa: Challenges Ahead," respectively, at a seminar on Good Governance in the Horn and South Africa, organised by the Labour Party of the Greater Oslo Area. The seminar took place at Martymer in Oslo, Norway.
Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, will chair the 2nd Annual Peacekeeping, Stability and Developmental Operations Africa 2007 Conference on Monday 12 March. He will deliver an opening address on “The Future of Peacekeeping: Challenges and Opportunities Over the Next Decade” and will contribute to the conference later in the day with a presentation on “Discussing the Development and Security Interface”.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, has been invited by the Embassy of Sweden in Pretoria to participate in an exploratory Security Sector Reform (SSR) meeting at the embassy on 5 March. The meeting is a pre-meeting to a bilateral seminar to be hosted by the Swedish National Defence College (SNDC) in Stockholm in June 2007.
Between January and June 2006, ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme assisted the Peace Support Operations Division of the African Union (AU-PSOD) in formulating a project document entitled a ‘Draft Framework for the Civilian Dimensions of the African Standby Force (ASF)’.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will provide training support to the Peace Support Operations (PSO) Course coordinated by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Regional Peace Training Centre (RPTC). The course is scheduled from 13-24 November 2006 at the SADC RPTC in Harare, Zimbabwe.
On 17 November 2006, Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow in ACCORD's Peace and Security Unit, delivered a lecture on “The Dynamics of Conflict and Peace Systems in Africa” at Bjørknes College in Oslo, Norway. The lecture was part of the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) and University of Stellenbosch’s joint masters degree programme in International Studies.
- ACCORD participates in executive course in management of multinational peace missions
- “Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy
- ‘The Future of Peacekeeping in Africa’ at the 8th Annual Seminar on Military Power
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres conference
- ACCORD conducts DDR Specialisation course
- The civilian dimension of the African Standby Force: Technical Experts Workshop
- ACCORD conducts civilian peacekeeping and peacebuilding mission preparedness course
- ACCORD TfP Programme conducts conflict management training for KPSTC
- ACCORD participates in DPKO gender training development workshop
- “Peacekeeping - Peacebuilding: Preparing for the Future” conference
- Privatized military operations study
- ACCORD joins international disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration training group
- ACCORD participates in UPEACE conflict prevention, management & resolution course
- ACCORD trains military observers in Kenya
- ACCORD conducts training for SANDF troops to be deployed to Cote d’Ivoire
- ACCORD hosts DDR curriculum development workshop
- AU seminar on the role of civilian components in peace support operations
- ECOWAS/KAIPTC/TfP Policy Development Workshop