ACCORD hosted the Minister of Communication and Reconciliation from the Central African Republic (CAR), H.E. Madam Antoinette Montaigne Moussa, from 30th May-2nd June, in Durban, South Africa. The visit was intended to explore possible collaborative activities and partnership between the Ministry and ACCORD in the areas of reconciliation and nation-building in CAR.
ACCORD Founder and Executive Director, Vasu Gounden, has addressed the 10th anniversary of the AU Peace and Security Council, in the Nelson Mandela Hall at the AU Headquarters in Addis Ababa.
On 05-07 December 2012 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Centre for Global Pluralism to be their keynote speaker at their second Pluralism Forum held on 06 December 2012. The Forum is a new series of moderated dialogues with leading international authorities on the various policies and practices that broadly support pluralism.
On the 4th and 5th of September 2011, ACCORD co-hosted a 'High Level Retreat of Envoys for Peace in Africa' in partnership with the African Union (AU) and Humanitarian Dialogue (HD), in Cairo. ACCORD's Executive Director was one of the resource persons at the retreat.
ACCORD teamed-up with WhizzKids United for an International Peace Day Celebration on 21st September. In support of the UN 2010 theme of 'Peace, Youth and Development', ACCORD staff joined 150 Grade 5 learners who competed in a “World Cup” Tournament to graduate from a year-long 'On the Ball' WhizzKids United programme at Clarence Primary School in Greyville, South Africa.
On 13 February 2010 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the South African Minister of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, The Honourable Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, to attend the opening of Parliament dinner hosted in honour of the Diplomatic Corps. On the 17th of February Mr. Gounden was invited by the new South African Minister of Finance, The Honourable Mr. Pravin Gordhan, to attend the presentation of his first National Budget Speech in Parliament.
Speaking at a side event held during the Special Event of the President of the United Nations General Assembly on the Follow-Up Efforts Made Towards Achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on 26 September 2013 in New York, Mr Vasu Gounden, Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, called to make the post-2015 development agenda one that transforms the 21st century into a 'century of peace.'
The Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at an 'Increase Peace through Mediation' Ministerial Breakfast Meeting in New York, by the Government of Finland, who currently funds ACCORD's Mediation Capacity Building Programme for the African Union. The Ministerial Breakfast Meeting was hosted by the Permanent Mission of Turkey to the United Nations on 20 September 2011. This is the second meeting to be held, following a first meeting that was held in 2010.
On 17 – 19 May 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at an "Integration as a factor for Africa's Renaissance" International Symposium in Lome, Togo, hosted by PAX Africana. Pax Africana was established by H.E. Mr. Edem Kodjo, the former Secretary-General of the then Organisation of African Unity (OAU), now the AU, and the former Prime Minister of the Republic of Togo. The aim of Pax Africana is to contribute towards the emergence of a better world, including Africa, with the objectives of guaranteeing peace in Africa by a proactive assessment of conflicts and their prevention through negotiation, mediation and the fostering of an environment to enhance development.
On Monday, 01 March 2010, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, met with Philippe Orliange, the Deputy Head of Mission from the French Embassy in Pretoria. This is the first official visit to ACCORD House by a representative from the French Embassy. Mr. Orliange’s visit was to learn more about ACCORD and its activities.
On 30 January 2010 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, participated in the immersing of the last known remaining portion of Mahatma Gandhi’s ashes into the sea. Mahatma Gandhi died in 1948. The ashes were immersed just outside of the entrance to the Durban harbour.
- Gounden attends first IAC meeting for 2010 as ICCO board member
- Gounden meets with Special Representative of Finnish Minister of Foreign Affairs
- ACCORD hosts farewell dinner for outgoing Indian Consul General
- Gounden responds to address by Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- ACCORD addresses EU Development Councilors
- South African DIRCO’s diplomatic Training, Research and Analysis Conference
- Exploratory Dialogue Forum for Northern Sudanese Civil Society Organisations
- ACCORD meets United States Peace Corps Director
- 'Towards a More Strategic Approach in Enhancing the AU’s Capacity in Mediation' Seminar, Ethiopia
- Mediation, Conflict Resolution, and International Politics Seminar, Finland
- ACCORD meets former DIFID Southern Africa conflict advisor
- Gounden invited to ICCO International Conference in The Netherlands
- Gounden resource person at Heinrich Böll Stiftung conference
- ACCORD executive in New York & Washington
- Gounden attends ICCO advisory board meeting
- ACCORD at 7th Oslo Forum
- Gounden at Cape Town WEF
- Gouden resource person at EU "Making a Difference" conference
- Vasu Gounden invited to 2009 African Mediators Retreat
- Gounden poem included in Footprint series book