On 05-07 December 2012 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Centre for Global Pluralism to be their keynote speaker at their second Pluralism Forum held on 06 December 2012. The Forum is a new series of moderated dialogues with leading international authorities on the various policies and practices that broadly support pluralism.
The Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at an 'Increase Peace through Mediation' Ministerial Breakfast Meeting in New York, by the Government of Finland, who currently funds ACCORD's Mediation Capacity Building Programme for the African Union. The Ministerial Breakfast Meeting was hosted by the Permanent Mission of Turkey to the United Nations on 20 September 2011. This is the second meeting to be held, following a first meeting that was held in 2010.
On 17 – 19 May 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at an "Integration as a factor for Africa's Renaissance" International Symposium in Lome, Togo, hosted by PAX Africana. Pax Africana was established by H.E. Mr. Edem Kodjo, the former Secretary-General of the then Organisation of African Unity (OAU), now the AU, and the former Prime Minister of the Republic of Togo. The aim of Pax Africana is to contribute towards the emergence of a better world, including Africa, with the objectives of guaranteeing peace in Africa by a proactive assessment of conflicts and their prevention through negotiation, mediation and the fostering of an environment to enhance development.
On Monday, 01 March 2010, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, met with Philippe Orliange, the Deputy Head of Mission from the French Embassy in Pretoria. This is the first official visit to ACCORD House by a representative from the French Embassy. Mr. Orliange’s visit was to learn more about ACCORD and its activities.
On 30 January 2010 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, participated in the immersing of the last known remaining portion of Mahatma Gandhi’s ashes into the sea. Mahatma Gandhi died in 1948. The ashes were immersed just outside of the entrance to the Durban harbour.
On 05 February 2010 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by H.E. Ambassador Myllyntausta, the Finnish Ambassador to South Africa, to meet with H.E. Ambassador Pasi Patokallio, the Special Representative of the Finnish Minister of Foreign Affairs.
On the 4th and 5th of September 2011, ACCORD co-hosted a 'High Level Retreat of Envoys for Peace in Africa' in partnership with the African Union (AU) and Humanitarian Dialogue (HD), in Cairo. ACCORD's Executive Director was one of the resource persons at the retreat.
ACCORD teamed-up with WhizzKids United for an International Peace Day Celebration on 21st September. In support of the UN 2010 theme of 'Peace, Youth and Development', ACCORD staff joined 150 Grade 5 learners who competed in a “World Cup” Tournament to graduate from a year-long 'On the Ball' WhizzKids United programme at Clarence Primary School in Greyville, South Africa.
On 13 February 2010 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the South African Minister of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, The Honourable Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, to attend the opening of Parliament dinner hosted in honour of the Diplomatic Corps. On the 17th of February Mr. Gounden was invited by the new South African Minister of Finance, The Honourable Mr. Pravin Gordhan, to attend the presentation of his first National Budget Speech in Parliament.
ACCORD's Executive Director was appointed to the ICCO board in late 2008 after attending their regional meeting that was held in Madagascar and which aimed to investigate how to implement their new innovation process in the Southern Africa region. He was therefore invited to participate in the first IAC meeting for 2010 which was held in Woudschoten, Zeist on 25 and 26 February 2010.
On 30 November 2009 ACCORD, in partnership with the Gandhi Development Trust, hosted a farewell dinner for the outgoing Indian Consul General in Durban, Mr. Harsh Vardhan Shringla. Mr. Shringla was a keen supporter of ACCORD’s work and visited ACCORD on many occasions bringing with him a variety of high profile guests.
- Gounden responds to address by Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- ACCORD addresses EU Development Councilors
- South African DIRCO’s diplomatic Training, Research and Analysis Conference
- Exploratory Dialogue Forum for Northern Sudanese Civil Society Organisations
- ACCORD meets United States Peace Corps Director
- 'Towards a More Strategic Approach in Enhancing the AU’s Capacity in Mediation' Seminar, Ethiopia
- Mediation, Conflict Resolution, and International Politics Seminar, Finland
- ACCORD meets former DIFID Southern Africa conflict advisor
- Gounden invited to ICCO International Conference in The Netherlands
- Gounden resource person at Heinrich Böll Stiftung conference
- ACCORD executive in New York & Washington
- Gounden attends ICCO advisory board meeting
- ACCORD at 7th Oslo Forum
- Gounden at Cape Town WEF
- Gouden resource person at EU "Making a Difference" conference
- Vasu Gounden invited to 2009 African Mediators Retreat
- Gounden poem included in Footprint series book
- ACCORD and Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs host mediation seminar in Addis Ababa
- Gounden invited to US Consulate panel discussion on race
- Hon. Commissioner Nancy Boxill visits ACCORD