On 08-09 October 2015 ACCORD's Founder and Executive Director, Mr Vasu Gounden, addressed a High Level Seminar on "Peace, Security and Sustainable Development: The Role of African and European Parliaments in Tackling the Root causes and Consequences of Violent Extremism and Terrorism". The Seminar was hosted by the Association of European Parliamentarians with Africa (AWEPA), and held at the Belgian Senate in Brussels.
On 05 October 2015 ACCORD's Founder and Executive Director, Mr Vasu Gounden, participated in the German Federal Foreign Office's Mediation Expert Meeting 2015, which was held in Berlin, Germany. The meeting focused on "Identifying Mediation Entry Points", and looked at political and methodological entry points, with a focus on Sudan as a case study of how conflict analysis could be applied to identify potential for mediation.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, has been appointed by the Government of South Africa to serve on the South African Council on International Relations (SACOIR). ACCORD congratulates former Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Aziz Pahad, on his appointment as Chair of SAICOR. Mr Pahad has for some years acted as ACCORD's senior political advisor. The Council was officially launched in Pretoria by the South African Minister of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO), Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane.
ACCORD hosted the Minister of Communication and Reconciliation from the Central African Republic (CAR), H.E. Madam Antoinette Montaigne Moussa, from 30th May-2nd June, in Durban, South Africa. The visit was intended to explore possible collaborative activities and partnership between the Ministry and ACCORD in the areas of reconciliation and nation-building in CAR.
Speaking at a side event held during the Special Event of the President of the United Nations General Assembly on the Follow-Up Efforts Made Towards Achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on 26 September 2013 in New York, Mr Vasu Gounden, Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, called to make the post-2015 development agenda one that transforms the 21st century into a 'century of peace.'
The Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at an 'Increase Peace through Mediation' Ministerial Breakfast Meeting in New York, by the Government of Finland, who currently funds ACCORD's Mediation Capacity Building Programme for the African Union. The Ministerial Breakfast Meeting was hosted by the Permanent Mission of Turkey to the United Nations on 20 September 2011. This is the second meeting to be held, following a first meeting that was held in 2010.
Mr Vasu Gounden, Executive Director of ACCORD, gave a presentation at TEDx Stellenbosch 2015 on 5 September 2015, entitled 'The Possibility of Global Peace in the 21st Century'. A TEDx event is an independent TED event, where a curated live lineup of speakers and storytellers from diverse disciplines aim to inspire an audience of between 450 and 550.
Increasing recognition of the relationships and dynamics between state fragility, conflict and violence now positions these issues amongst the central foci of conflict and development practitioners worldwide. It is in this light that ACCORD's Founder and Executive Director participated in the World Bank Group's Fragility, Conflict and Violence Forum in Washington DC, USA on 11-13 February 2015. Convened by Ms Betty Bigombe, the World Bank Group's Senior Director of its Fragility, Conflict and Violence Cross-Cutting Solutions Area, the Forum strived to unite political leaders, policymakers, academics, activists, and civil society organisations towards strengthening their responses and supporting countries mired by fragility, conflict, and violence.
ACCORD Founder and Executive Director, Vasu Gounden, has addressed the 10th anniversary of the AU Peace and Security Council, in the Nelson Mandela Hall at the AU Headquarters in Addis Ababa.
On 05-07 December 2012 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Centre for Global Pluralism to be their keynote speaker at their second Pluralism Forum held on 06 December 2012. The Forum is a new series of moderated dialogues with leading international authorities on the various policies and practices that broadly support pluralism.
On the 4th and 5th of September 2011, ACCORD co-hosted a 'High Level Retreat of Envoys for Peace in Africa' in partnership with the African Union (AU) and Humanitarian Dialogue (HD), in Cairo. ACCORD's Executive Director was one of the resource persons at the retreat.
- Gounden contributes to PAX Africa symposium on integration
- ACCORD celebrates World Peace Day with youth
- Deputy Head of Mission from French Embassy visits ACCORD
- Gounden attends opening of Parliament dinner
- ACCORD participate in scattering of last remaining ashes of Mahatma Gandhi
- Gounden attends first IAC meeting for 2010 as ICCO board member
- Gounden meets with Special Representative of Finnish Minister of Foreign Affairs
- ACCORD hosts farewell dinner for outgoing Indian Consul General
- Gounden responds to address by Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- ACCORD addresses EU Development Councilors
- South African DIRCO’s diplomatic Training, Research and Analysis Conference
- Exploratory Dialogue Forum for Northern Sudanese Civil Society Organisations
- ACCORD meets United States Peace Corps Director
- 'Towards a More Strategic Approach in Enhancing the AU’s Capacity in Mediation' Seminar, Ethiopia
- Mediation, Conflict Resolution, and International Politics Seminar, Finland
- ACCORD meets former DIFID Southern Africa conflict advisor
- Gounden invited to ICCO International Conference in The Netherlands
- Gounden resource person at Heinrich Böll Stiftung conference
- ACCORD executive in New York & Washington
- Gounden attends ICCO advisory board meeting