In view of the upcoming 2015 elections in Burundi, and as continuation of the country's commitment to ensuring peaceful elections, ACCORD's Burundi Initiative and Training Unit has delivered two training workshops on the management of elections-related disputes for youth wings leaders of all registered political parties in Burundi's towns of Gitega and Ngozi.
In collaboration with ACCORD's Burundi office, the organisation's Peacebuilding Unit organized a 3-day peacebuilding workshop for Burundi Intervention office staff, to enhance the staff's skills and understanding of peacebuilding challenges in Burundi. The workshop also looked at identifying possible engagements to enhance sustainable peacebuilding in Burundi.
With the aim to reflect upon and identify appropriate responses to peacebuilding issues in Burundi and the Great Lakes region, ACCORD organised a 4-day workshop in Bujumbura, Burundi. The peacebuilding workshop, organised by the Burundi Intervention Office and in collaboration with the Peacebuilding Unit, was held from 10-13 July in Bujumbura, Burundi. The workshop brought together stakeholders representing government, civil society organisations, non-governmental organisations, as well as representatives from youth groups, media, international and regional organisations, experts in Peacebuilding, transitional justice and elections and academia.
The ACCORD Bujumbura office joined Peace day celebrations to applaud Burundi’s success in finding peace and to affirm the need to continue with ongoing efforts to ensure that sustainable peace prevails in the country.
With the aim of strengthening the conflict management capacity in Burundi, ACCORD conducted a one day training session for twenty-two trainers of the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) in Bujumbura on 17 May 2010. The session focused on conflict management analysis, effective communication skills, and an overview of the importance and conduct of mediation.
In preparation for elections starting 21 May, the ACCORD Burundi Intervention Unit will hold a conflict management training and dialogue session for youth leaders and security forces from the Western provinces of Burundi from 10 -13 May 2010 in Bujumbura, Burundi.
On 18 June 2012, ACCORD's Burundi Office hosted a roundtable discussion, focused on key peacebuilding issues for Burundi and the Great Lakes region. The discussion facilitated ACCORD's ongoing contribution towards building a sustainable peace in Burundi.
A sharp increase in numbers of repatriated refugees entering Western Burundi from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has led ACCORD to open a new field office in Bubanza province, as part of its Legal Aid Clinic Project (LACP). Funded primarily by The United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), the LACP accommodates the growing need for land mediation work, following the UNHCR’s decision to repatriate 15,000 refugees from the DRC.
The ACCORD Burundi Intervention is bringing together peacebuilding agents at the end of August to assess and monitor progress in the project titled “Post-Conflict Peacebuilding in Burundi: Promoting Peace, Reconciliation and effective Governance.”
ACCORD brought youth leaders and security forces together in Bujumbura on 10-13 May 2010 to formulate violence prevention strategies in their communities in preparation for the 2010 local and national elections.
ACCORD'S Burundi Intervention Unit facilitated a three-day dialogue session for local civil society leaders, army and police commanders in Gitega, Burundi, from 29-31 March, in preparation for the country's 2010 local and national elections.
- ACCORD to conduct dialogue session in preparation for Burundi elections
- ACCORD conducts election-focused conflict management training for Burundi youth
- ACCORD to conduct conflict management training for youth leaders in Burundi
- Conflict Management Training for Norwegian Refugee Council in Bujumbura
- ACCORD conduct election observation and mediation training in Bujumbura
- Strategic Planning Session for Office for Strategic Studies and Development in Bujumbura
- ACCORD Conducts Election-Related Conflict Management Training in Bujumbura
- ACCORD signs MoU with Government of Burundi
- Burundi work featured in Guardian newspaper
- Gounden Presents ACCORD at Norwegian Embassy
- Conflict Management Training for Civil Society Women Leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD to train women leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD trains Burundian civil society in conflict management
- Basic Conflict Management Training for media in Burundi
- Coordinator of ACCORD Rumonge office interviewed on Burundi radio
- Gounden visits ACCORD's Burundi operations
- CNTB Commissioners trained in mediation and land law by ACCORD Burundi
- ACCORD to train the Commission Nationale Terre Et Autres Biens in Burundi
- ACCORD Burundi conducts training for youth
- ACCORD Burundi participates in ‘Walk for Refugees’