As a member institution of the African Peace Support Trainers' Association (APSTA), the Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has participated in the 11th Annual General Meeting, themed "Working together to improve the capacity for peace support operations in Africa: the role, contribution and opportunities for APSTA in supporting African Union (AU) responsibility in maintaining peace and security".
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) in collaboration with the African Union Peace Support Operations Division (AU PSOD) hosted the Fourth Annual African Standby Force (ASF) Civilian Focal Points Planning Meeting. The workshop provided a platform for the civilian focal points and planning personnel from the AU PSOD and the Regional Economic Communities/ Regional Mechanisms (RECs/RMs) to review the progress attained, identify common areas of concern, and develop joint annual work plans which identify key priorities for the operationalisation of the civilian dimension of the ASF.
The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) have jointly signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) wherein both parties agreed to the cooperation and provision of services that support the mission in the achievement of its mandate.
The Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) was requested by the Integrated Training Service (ITS), Division of Policy Evaluation and Training (DPET) of the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) and Department of Field Support (DFS) to attend the United Nations (UN) Training of Trainers (ToT) Course for Protection of Civilians (PoC). TfP/ACCORD's engagement on PoC pre-deployment training follows from the Programme's wider contribution to the development of the UN PoC Strategic Framework, the Draft African Union (AU) PoC Guidelines, and the mainstreaming of these guidelines into current AU and UN operations on the continent respectively.
As part of its Collaborative Conflict Management (CCM) training package developed for Civil Affairs Officers within United Nations (UN) missions, TfP/ACCORD conducted an Advanced Mediation Training Retreat for Senior Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs) of the United Nations Missions in South Sudan (UNMISS). The Advanced Mediation Retreat aims to provided 14 senior/experienced UNMISS Civil Affairs staff, with advanced techniques and approaches on mediation, and traditional conflict resolution mechanisms suitable for the South Sudan context.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has co-hosted the 6thAnnual African Standby Force (ASF) Training Implementation Workshop organised by the African Union (AU) Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD), in Pretoria, South Africa from 5th - 7th June 2013. The workshop was attended by approximately 50 participants, drawn from the African Union Commission (AUC), Regional Economic Communities/ Regional Mechanisms (RECs/RMs), The African Peace Support Trainers' Association (APSTA), Training Centers of Excellence, United Nations Office to African Union (UNOAU), South African government and Partners.
In line with keeping to the United Nations (UN) Civilian Capacities processes and developments for enhancing the civilian element for peace operations within the African continent, the Training for Peace and Africa Peacebuilding Coordination Programmes (TfP and APCP) at ACCORD under the Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Units, attended the Civilian Capacities (CivCap) Network's Annual Partners Meeting. The CivCap Network was established in 2012 by ACCORD along with other partner institutions, with the objective to contribute to the mobilization of civilian technical expertise to assist in post-conflict reconstruction, and to be a resource of knowledge for the Global South.
ACCORD has organised a briefing session entitled "Somalia Briefing: Perspectives from the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM)" - led by Ambassador Mahamat Saleh Annadif, the Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission (SRCC) for Somalia and Head of Mission. The briefing session included reflections on AMISOM's work thus far in Somalia, highlighted the areas of priority assistance to the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), and provided insights on the political and security situation in the country.
As a partner institution of the Civilian Capacity (CIVCAP) Network which represents South Africa (SA), the Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) and SA government officials attended a workshop on Government Provided Personnel (GPP) in the Rule of Law area. The workshop aimed at enhancing the knowledge and understanding of the CIVCAP Network partner countries on the GPP modalities for the deployment of CIVCAP within the Rule of Law area. In addition, it also aimed to inform CivCap Network partners about the substantive gaps where the United Nations (UN) needs civilian capacities.
TfP/ACCORD has participated in the African Civilian Response Capacity for Peace Operations (AFDEM) strategic planning workshop. The workshop aims to develop a consolidated strategic direction of AFDEM, which will take into account the expectations of all stakeholders. The engagement presents an opportunity to discuss and agree on expectations, create solutions, formulate collaborations, define objectives and also roles and responsibilities.
ACCORD, under the auspices of the Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme, hosted a Communication Package workshop which commenced from 18th-19th June 2013. The workshop was attended by international representatives from the TfP partners. As the focal point of the workshop, ACCORD was designated with the responsibility to redesign and rebuild the TfP Communication Package strategy to enhance the branding of the TfP Programme and also improve coordination and collaboration between the partners.
- TfP Research Network meet in Oslo
- Global conference examines protection of civilians under international humanitarian law
- Civilian Capacities Roundtable examines South Africa’s civilian roles in the aftermath of conflict
- TfP/ACCORD takes part in ISS Seminar on "Future African Peace Operations: From Scenarios to Force Preparations"
- ACCORD starts online mentoring for UNMISS Civil Affairs Officers in South Sudan
- TfP AGM and UN Meetings 2013
- ACCORD elected Civilian Chair for 19th IAPTC Annual Conference
- TfP/ACCORD consults AU on peace support operations
- TfP attends workshop on understanding and integrating local perceptions in multidimensional UN Peacekeeping Operations
- APSTA colloquium examines peace support operations
- TfP/ACCORD Supports key regional training centres of excellence on protection of civilians training
- TfP/ACCORD delivers mission-specific training for UNMISS Civil Affairs Officers
- ACCORD Supports AMISOM’s security and contingency plans for civilian and police personnel
- ACCORD contributes to mobilisation of civilian capacity for peace operations in the global south
- TfP/ACCORD supports AMISOM to mainstream protection of civilians in its operations
- ACCORD addresses growing role of civilians in sustaining peace at African Regional Peace Support Operations course
- ACCORD participates in International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations
- ACCORD supports South Africa’s Defence Review Committee with public engagement on defence and security issues
- ACCORD launches UN Civil Affairs Handbook in collaboration with UN DPKO
- ACCORD meets AU and UNOA officials to strengthen partnerships around the continental security architecture