As a partner institution of the Civilian Capacity (CIVCAP) Network which represents South Africa (SA), the Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) and SA government officials attended a workshop on Government Provided Personnel (GPP) in the Rule of Law area. The workshop aimed at enhancing the knowledge and understanding of the CIVCAP Network partner countries on the GPP modalities for the deployment of CIVCAP within the Rule of Law area. In addition, it also aimed to inform CivCap Network partners about the substantive gaps where the United Nations (UN) needs civilian capacities.
As part of its Collaborative Conflict Management (CCM) training package developed for Civil Affairs Officers within United Nations (UN) missions, TfP/ACCORD conducted an Advanced Mediation Training Retreat for Senior Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs) of the United Nations Missions in South Sudan (UNMISS). The Advanced Mediation Retreat aims to provided 14 senior/experienced UNMISS Civil Affairs staff, with advanced techniques and approaches on mediation, and traditional conflict resolution mechanisms suitable for the South Sudan context.
The African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP), flagship programme of ACCORD's Peacebuilding Unit, recently held the first of three African Peacebuilding Coordination Network (APCN) capacity building trainings in Liberia, from 24-28 June 2013. This training was attended by 20 participants representing government, academia and civil society from Liberia, Burundi, DRC, and South Sudan. The aim of this ongoing capacity building is to contribute towards the development of skills in strategic peacebuilding and towards locally owned peacebuilding processes within participating countries.
TfP/ACCORD has participated in the African Civilian Response Capacity for Peace Operations (AFDEM) strategic planning workshop. The workshop aims to develop a consolidated strategic direction of AFDEM, which will take into account the expectations of all stakeholders. The engagement presents an opportunity to discuss and agree on expectations, create solutions, formulate collaborations, define objectives and also roles and responsibilities.
ACCORD, under the auspices of the Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme, hosted a Communication Package workshop which commenced from 18th-19th June 2013. The workshop was attended by international representatives from the TfP partners. As the focal point of the workshop, ACCORD was designated with the responsibility to redesign and rebuild the TfP Communication Package strategy to enhance the branding of the TfP Programme and also improve coordination and collaboration between the partners.
There is overwhelming literature on the extensive involvement of children and youth in conflict and warfare in Africa and beyond. Literature addressing the positive contributions of young people when they are included in a nation's peacebuilding interventions post-conflict, however, is not as easy to come by. The latest Conference Paper published by ACCORD aims to contribute to the available body of knowledge regarding the benefits and importance of incorporating young people in peacebuilding processes to facilitate the achievement of sustainable peace.
In fulfilling its objective of providing support to national, regional and continental frameworks as well as initiatives aimed at conflict prevention and mediation, ACCORD participated in continental consultations aimed at strengthening Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and African Union Commission (AUC) capacities and collaboration at regional level with civil society and member states in conflict prevention and mediation. These consultations took place at the AUC Headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from 24 – 25 June 2013.
For the second time in 2 years, ACCORD participated at an educational conference, this time in Barcelona during the EDULearn 2013 conference. Pushing for new learning, training and knowledge-sharing methods, Dr. da Rocha, Training Unit Coordinator, presented a learning and training model based on Blended and Mixed Method Learning, thus contributing to ACCORD's advanced training methodology.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has co-hosted the 6thAnnual African Standby Force (ASF) Training Implementation Workshop organised by the African Union (AU) Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD), in Pretoria, South Africa from 5th - 7th June 2013. The workshop was attended by approximately 50 participants, drawn from the African Union Commission (AUC), Regional Economic Communities/ Regional Mechanisms (RECs/RMs), The African Peace Support Trainers' Association (APSTA), Training Centers of Excellence, United Nations Office to African Union (UNOAU), South African government and Partners.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD has participated in a TfP Research Network Meeting organized by the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), with the aim to discuss on police related research, and to reflect on the recommendations of the review of the TfP police dimension, with regards to the role of police in peace operations. The meeting facilitated joint discussion and strategizes the need to focus more work on the police dimension of peacekeeping, to help reform the police component in peace operations worldwide.
As part of its initiatives in the Great Lakes Region, ACCORD together with partnering organisations met to discuss on further planning in the implementation of activities on the Great Lakes Project that is to take place over the course of the next three years.
- Third phase of PASA international training programme begins
- Internal staff seminar unpacks peace infrastructures
- ACCORD holds expert review of new Peacebuilding Handbook
- SSR strategies within Regional and sub-Regional Organisations key theme at ASSET 2013 AGM
- Outcome Statement: The Southern African Women Mediators Seminar
- Report examines approaches to strengthening partnerships for civilian capacities in the atermath of conflict
- ACCORD publishes first edition of ACCORD Peacebuilding Handbook
- ACCORD participates in youth forum in celebration of 50 years AU/OAU
- Global conference examines protection of civilians under international humanitarian law
- ACCORD supports the strengthening of fragile countries
- Alliance for Peacebuilding annual conference targets creative innovation in local initiatives
- Civilian Capacities Roundtable examines South Africa’s civilian roles in the aftermath of conflict
- TfP/ACCORD takes part in ISS Seminar on "Future African Peace Operations: From Scenarios to Force Preparations"
- ACCORD trains SADC police officers in mediation
- ACCORD trains South Sudan negotiators in mediation and negotiation
- ACCORD attends African Solidarity Initiative planning
- ACCORD hosts Governor of Khartoum
- ACCORD starts online mentoring for UNMISS Civil Affairs Officers in South Sudan
- TfP AGM and UN Meetings 2013
- ACCORD elected Civilian Chair for 19th IAPTC Annual Conference