The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) was recently represented at a Consultative Meeting on UN Women South Africa Multi-Country Office's Draft Strategic Plan (2014-17) which aimed to obtain stakeholder feedback and contributions to allow for finalisation of the plan. ACCORD's participation helped to ensure that women, peace, security and conflict resolution objectives and planned activities were strengthened. Deliberations during the meeting aimed to obtain the input of South African partners, although discussions at times took a regional focus.
Speaking at a side event held during the Special Event of the President of the United Nations General Assembly on the Follow-Up Efforts Made Towards Achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on 26 September 2013 in New York, Mr Vasu Gounden, Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, called to make the post-2015 development agenda one that transforms the 21st century into a 'century of peace.'
In consistency with its objectives to contribute to the strengthening of national infrastructures for peace in Africa, ACCORD has delivered training on advance mediation and dialogue skills to participants drawn from the Ecumenical Church Leaders Forum (ECLF) in Zimbabwe. The training took place in Bulawayo in Zimbabwe from 26-31 August 2013.
ACCORD South Sudan Initiative (SSI) conducted the first ever joint training on Conflict Analysis and Mediation (CAM) for the South Sudan Peace and Reconciliation Commission (SS PRC) and the Special Parliamentary Committee on Peace and Reconciliation (SS SPCRC). The three-day training effectively contributes to SSI's main objective of contributing to building and enhancing the capacity of government institutions in South Sudan in conflict management, negotiation and mediation. The training provided the ideal platform for dialogue between the two entities that are mandated to advise both the executive and legislative arms of government on peace and reconciliation matters.
The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) have jointly signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) wherein both parties agreed to the cooperation and provision of services that support the mission in the achievement of its mandate.
From 26-27 June 2013, ACCORD's peacebuilding Unit, through its main programmatic engagement the African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) attended the Oxfam two day Roundtable in Nairobi, Kenya on Gender, Conflict and Masculinities: Understanding the Impact of War on Men and Gender Relations in South Sudan, Somalia and DRC.
Country-specific information and reports shared by participants at the annual meeting of the Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC) Southern Africa Regional Steering Committee indicated that the key issues threatening stability and human security across the region include a democratic deficit, pre- and post-electoral tensions and violence, and challenges around disarmament and reintegration of former combatants.
ACCORD's provided support to the development of peacebuilding projects with 18 represented participants from four focus countries- Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia and South Sudan- through a 5-day training held in Bujumbura, Burundi from 2-6 September 2013. This was the second training of a three-part training series under the African Peacebuilding Coordination Network's (APCN) aiding participants in the development and utilisation of peacebuilding planning skills which will be used in the development of peacebuilding projects.
Eight years after the official end of Sudan's civil war and two years into the birth of the Republic of South Sudan, though strides have been made towards institution building, the nation is faced with increasingly violent communal conflicts, says Nhial Gogok, intern in ACCORD's South Sudan Initiative. Gogok gave a presentation during an Internal Staff Seminar on 05 July 2013 at ACCORD House in Durban, prompting lively discussions among staff and enhancing their understanding and analysis of the context, dynamics and nuances of communal conflict in South Sudan.
ACCORD has organised a briefing session entitled "Somalia Briefing: Perspectives from the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM)" - led by Ambassador Mahamat Saleh Annadif, the Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission (SRCC) for Somalia and Head of Mission. The briefing session included reflections on AMISOM's work thus far in Somalia, highlighted the areas of priority assistance to the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), and provided insights on the political and security situation in the country.
ACCORD Senior Researcher, Professor Jannie Malan, has had his presentation on religion, conflict and peace extremely well received at the Oxford Round Table Conference on Religion held between 28 July and 1 August 2013 at Brasenose College in the University of Oxford, UK. The presentation, based on Malan's current research focus on the reasons why religious people cause conflict and how they can prevent and resolve the same.
- ACCORD and UN co-host first Peacebuilding Fund Workshop
- Report from inaugural High Level Retreat of the AU Panel of the Wise
- ACCORD hosts academic writing skills workshop for staff
- ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit conducts a mediation training for AU and RECs
- TfP/ACCORD attends UN Training of Trainers Course for Protection of Civilians
- ACCORD attends Civilian Capacity Network workshop on government-provided personnel in the rule of law domain
- TfP/ACCORD hosts UNMISS Civil Affairs collaborative conflict management advanced mediation retreat
- ACCORD participates in AUC-RECs-UNDP consultation on strengthening linkages in conflict prevention and mediation
- ACCORD supports strengthening of peacebuilding planning capacity via training in Liberia
- ACCORD pushes the envelope in "work integrated learning" curriculum development
- TfP-ACCORD takes part in AFDEM strategic planning workshop
- ACCORD co-hosts 6th Annual ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- ACCORD hosts TfP partners to examine communication strategy
- TfP Research Network meet in Oslo
- ACCORD focus on role of Nigerian youth in peacebuilding
- ACCORD, NPI-A and GPPAC collaborate on implementation of Great Lakes Project
- Third phase of PASA international training programme begins
- Internal staff seminar unpacks peace infrastructures
- ACCORD holds expert review of new Peacebuilding Handbook
- SSR strategies within Regional and sub-Regional Organisations key theme at ASSET 2013 AGM