ACCORD, through its Training for Peace in Africa (TfP) Programme, has addressed participants at the Southern African Development Community's (SADC) Regional Peacekeeping Training Centre (RPTC) on the important role of civilians in peace support operations.
ACCORD Senior Trainer Pascal da Rocha has run an experiential and interactive training on methods and tools of conflict resolution for tackling environmental issues of climate change, and river basin management in particular. Based on ACCORD's work on climate change, this training cements ACCORD's expertise in providing tailored and customised training solutions, but also furthens ACCORD impact as a center of excellence in the critical areas of climate change and security.
ACCORD, through its Training for Peace in Africa (TfP) Programme, attended and participated in the International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations, held in Geneva earlier this year. The forum brought the international community of leading policymakers, practitioners and academics in peace operations together in a dynamic, strategic and broad-based platform to discuss and provide insight on the many challenges in modern multidimensional peace operations.
On 02 May 2012 ACCORD hosted an EXCOM and a full Board of Trustees meetings in Gauteng. These were the first meetings for both EXCOM and the Board for 2012. The second meetings for the year for both forums will take place in the last quarter of the year.
ACCCORD's Manager for the Interventions Department, Dr. Martha Mutisi, has represented the institution at the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Stakeholders' Roundtable on Gender and Development. As one of the few civil society organisations represented, ACCORD is well placed to continue to influence the development of the SADC Gender Unit and contribute to regional initiatives towards gender equity and parity in peace and development processes.
ACCORD's Peacebuilding Unit, through its African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP), has conducted a national training in Monrovia, Liberia, to strengthen local peacebuilding capacity as the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL) winds down. The training focused on the role of justice and security in peacebuilding as a means of equipping government and civil society sectors with a full understanding of the Liberia Peacebuilding Programme (LPP), which is seen as crucial to ensuring sustainable peace in Liberia.
The need for including women in peace processes is widely acknowledged, yet, most mediation processes have nonetheless not offered enough scope to encourage the voices and representation of women. In response to this challenge, ACCORD, under its Peacemaking Unit's African Union (AU) Mediation Support Capacity Project and in collaboration with the AU Peace and Security Department, convened an African Women Mediators Seminar in Johannesburg, South Africa from 2 - 3 May 2012.
On 10 May 2012, at a ceremony at USAID's Ronald Reagan Building in Washington D.C, ACCORD presented a citation of appreciation to USAID in recognition of support that ACCORD has received over its twenty years of existence. The citation was received on behalf of USAID by Mr. Earl Gast, the Assistant Administrator for the Africa Bureau. The citation was awarded by ACCORD in recognition of USAID's twenty year partnership with ACCORD in pursuance of ACCORD's mission "to encourage and promote the constructive resolution of disputes by the peoples of Africa and so assist in achieving political stability, economic recovery and peaceful co-existence within just and democratic societies".
ACCORD has hosted a two day public consultation on the draft 2012 South African Defence Review in South Africa. The consultations aimed to enrich the current work of the Defence Review Committee (DRC) on South Africa's defence policy by including perspectives from non-state-actors based in Kwazulu-Natal.
ACCCORD senior researcher, Dr. Martha Mutisi, has delivered a paper on the role of the media in democratisation and peacebuilding at the International Studies Association's (ISA) Annual Convention on "Power, Principles and Participation in the Global Information Age." An influential and highly respected organisation, the ISA is at the forefront of bringing together scholarly thought on international affairs, and ACCORD's involvement in this platform further enhances our drive towards influencing debate and policy development on global peace, security and development issues.
The Training for Peace Programme (TfP) at ACCORD, in collaboration with the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (UN DPKO), has published and launched a UN Civil Affairs Handbook. The handbook serves as a reference guide for both newly recruited and experienced Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs), by providing clearer guidance on their role, functions, and the implementation of their daily tasks in the field.
- Dr Alejandro Bendana examines road to peace in Somalia at ACCORD seminar
- ACCORD builds localised women’s mediation capacity in South Africa
- ACCORD conducts peace building forum on addressing Insecurity in South Sudan
- ACCORD internal staff seminar looks at justice, reconciliation and reconstruction in post-apartheid South Africa
- ACCORD Trustee awarded the Great Cross of the Order of Bernadro O'Higgins
- ACCORD hosts 4th phase of International Training Programme on Peace and Security
- ACCORD meets AU and UNOA officials to strengthen partnerships around the continental security architecture
- Ndinga-Muvumba at Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation 50th Anniversary Roundtable
- ACCORD working to enhance civilian capacities in the aftermath of conflicts
- Ndinga-Muvumba presents at US State Department conference on the AU
- ACCORD implements major new long-term international training programme to strengthen peace and security architecture in Africa
- ACCORD TfP Programme supports strengthening of UNMISS Civil Affairs
- Enhancing the nexus between peacekeeping and peacebuilding: an overview of ACCORD’s 2011 activities
- ACCORD recognised for second year running as 5th most influential Think Tank in Sub-Sahara Africa
- Cedric de Coning appointed to United Nations Peacebuilding Fund’s Advisory Board
- Panel Discussion on Climate Change Adaptation, Conflict and Cooperation during COP17
- ACCORD hosts authors' roundtable on 'Women, Peace and Security'
- ACCORD represented at ICGLR conference on sexual and gender-based violence
- ACCORD enhances French mediation capacity in Africa
- ACCORD provides high level conflict management training for Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs