On 05-07 December 2012 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Centre for Global Pluralism to be their keynote speaker at their second Pluralism Forum held on 06 December 2012. The Forum is a new series of moderated dialogues with leading international authorities on the various policies and practices that broadly support pluralism.
In line with its mandate to support the efforts of the African Union to promote peace and stability in Africa, ACCORD participated in the Third AU High Level Retreat of Special Envoys and Mediators, which took place in Cairo from 5-6 November 2012, centering on the theme: Transforming the African Peace and Security Context in the Next Decade: Appraisal and Opportunities.
An ACCORD Delegation led by Mr Vasu Gounden, Founder and Executive Director, visited Khartoum in 7-10 November 2012, to open lines for fruitful engagement with actors from various levels and backgrounds in Sudan. Additionally, the Khartoum visit provided an opportunity to understand the current situation on the ground, especially following the 27 September agreements with South Sudan, and thereby consider options for responsive programme design for ACCORD's initiatives in Sudan.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has contributed to training courses conducted by the International Peace Support Training Centre (IPSTC) on the Protection of Civilians (PoC). The courses aimed to enhance participants' capacities to plan, implement and PoC activities in Peacekeeping operations.
ACCORD extends it condolences to the Gerwel family on the death of Professor Jakes Gerwel. Professor Jakes Gerwel passed away this morning after undergoing a triple heart by-pass about a week ago. He suffered a stroke on Thursday. Professor Gerwel was one of the five founding Trustees of ACCORD. He will be sadly missed by the Trustees and Staff of ACCORD.
In an ongoing quest to support mediation activities by the African Union and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in Africa, ACCORD has participated in the 7th bi-annual Mediation Support Network (MSN) Meeting, which served as a platform for promoting exchange about planned and on-going activities in mediation on the continent of Africa. The meeting took place from 10-11 October in Accra, Ghana.
Promoting women's capacity to participate in peace processes is crucial for the advancement of women in peace, development and security. This is reflected by the international and regional efforts in the operationalisation of the UNSCR 1325 and other African Union and regional frameworks. Despite the number of declarations, most mediation processes have not offered enough scope that encourages the voices and representation of women.
ACCORD was represented by its Peacebuilding and Peacemaking Units at the Global Thematic Consultation on Conflict and Fragility and the Post-2015 Development Agenda (Monrovia Consultation) from 29-20 November 2012. The Monrovia Consultation, which was co-organized by the Governments of Liberia and Finland, was initiated to solicit diverse and multi-sectoral inputs on issues relating to conflict, disasters and security.
The Republic of South Sudan's Peace Commission and the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for partnership in peace building in South Sudan. Peace Commission chairperson, Chuol Rambang and ACCORD chairperson Vasu Gounden, sign MoU in the presence of VP Riek Machar in Juba on 28 Nov. 2012 (ST)
As a means of creating an effective platform for comprehensive dialogue to tackle regional and global challenges, and to actively shape global agendas, in October the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO), in partnership with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) hosted a' Training Programme on Managing Regional and Global Governance' (MRGG) together with other leading institutions in South Africa.
ACCORD Trustee, Professor Wiseman Nkuhlu, has been appointed as a Trustee of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) Foundation for a three year period starting on 1 January 2013.
- ACCORD hosts staff seminar on changing perspectives of India's engagements in Africa
- TfP/ACCORD delivers mission-specific training for UNMISS Civil Affairs Officers
- ACCORD internal seminar interrogates influence of crude oil on foreign policy and investment in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Delegates at GPPAC Southern Africa network meeting agree on regional conflict prevention priority areas
- ACCORD engages with stakeholders for sustainable peacebuilding in the DRC
- ACCORD Supports AMISOM’s security and contingency plans for civilian and police personnel
- ACCORD facilitates Africa Regional Consultation on “Strengthening Partnerships for Civilian Capacities in the Aftermath of Conflict”
- ACCORD Burundi hosts roundtable on peacebuilding in Burundi and the Great Lakes
- ACCORD analyses peacebuilding architecture in Burundi and region
- ACCORD contributes to mobilisation of civilian capacity for peace operations in the global south
- ACCORD facilitates ongoing international training programme to develop African peace and security architecture
- TfP/ACCORD supports AMISOM to mainstream protection of civilians in its operations
- ACCORD participates in GPPAC Asia-Africa Learning Exchange on gender-sensitive conflict analysis
- ACCORD addresses growing role of civilians in sustaining peace at African Regional Peace Support Operations course
- ACCORD provides expert training in conflict resolution, climate change and environment
- ACCORD convenes African women mediators
- ACCORD participates in International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations
- ACCORD presents USAID with citation of appreciation for support over 20 years
- ACCORD Trustee and EXCOM Meetings
- ACCORD supports South Africa’s Defence Review Committee with public engagement on defence and security issues