On 02 May 2012 ACCORD hosted an EXCOM and a full Board of Trustees meetings in Gauteng. These were the first meetings for both EXCOM and the Board for 2012. The second meetings for the year for both forums will take place in the last quarter of the year.
ACCORD has hosted a two day public consultation on the draft 2012 South African Defence Review in South Africa. The consultations aimed to enrich the current work of the Defence Review Committee (DRC) on South Africa's defence policy by including perspectives from non-state-actors based in Kwazulu-Natal.
ACCCORD senior researcher, Dr. Martha Mutisi, has delivered a paper on the role of the media in democratisation and peacebuilding at the International Studies Association's (ISA) Annual Convention on "Power, Principles and Participation in the Global Information Age." An influential and highly respected organisation, the ISA is at the forefront of bringing together scholarly thought on international affairs, and ACCORD's involvement in this platform further enhances our drive towards influencing debate and policy development on global peace, security and development issues.
The Training for Peace Programme (TfP) at ACCORD, in collaboration with the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (UN DPKO), has published and launched a UN Civil Affairs Handbook. The handbook serves as a reference guide for both newly recruited and experienced Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs), by providing clearer guidance on their role, functions, and the implementation of their daily tasks in the field.
Towards empowering women to participate more actively in peace processes on a community level, ACCORD has conducted a mediation training for members of the Progressive Women's Movement South Africa (PWMSA). The development of skilled female mediators who take an active role in their respective communities, is a vital component of addressing conflict within South Africa societies. ACCORD is pleased to play an ongoing role in establishing and enhancing such skills at a local level.
South Africa has done exceptionally well, as a fledgling democracy, to inculcate values of tolerance and coexistence, thereby earning herself the popular title of "rainbow nation". To reflect on developments since 1994, ACCORD's Knowledge Production Department hosted an Internal Staff Seminar on 4 April 2012 with an internationally recognised academic Professor John Daniel, former Professor of Political Science at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
ACCCORD's Manager for the Interventions Department, Dr. Martha Mutisi, has represented the institution at the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Stakeholders' Roundtable on Gender and Development. As one of the few civil society organisations represented, ACCORD is well placed to continue to influence the development of the SADC Gender Unit and contribute to regional initiatives towards gender equity and parity in peace and development processes.
ACCORD's Peacebuilding Unit, through its African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP), has conducted a national training in Monrovia, Liberia, to strengthen local peacebuilding capacity as the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL) winds down. The training focused on the role of justice and security in peacebuilding as a means of equipping government and civil society sectors with a full understanding of the Liberia Peacebuilding Programme (LPP), which is seen as crucial to ensuring sustainable peace in Liberia.
On 10 April, ACCORD was pleased to host Dr Alejandro Bendana for a stimulating discussion on the current situation in Somalia. Dr Bendana holds an extraordinary political and academic background as a Harvard graduate, former Secretary General of the Nicaraguan Foreign Ministry and Ambassador to the UN, founder of the Centre for International Studies in Managua, and now the Programme Manager for the Rule of Law and Security within UNDP Somalia. As a professional in the field with such extensive experience, Dr Bendana offered a valuable external perspective on methods of conflict management to the staff of ACCORD. His recent work in Somalia provided the basis for his presentation entitled, "Which Way to Peace with Justice in Somalia?"
Through its Conflict Transformation Initiative and in seeking to mitigate violent conflict and insecurity, and supporting peace for the people of South Sudan, ACCORD hosted a Dialogue Forum in Malakal, Upper Nile State of South Sudan from the 11-13 April 2012. The forum brought together thirty eight participants representing government, civil society, youth organisations, women groups, traditional leaders, academia and United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) personnel. The forum was tailored to engage participants at grassroots level, while allowing for the dissemination of critical peace-building skills to the different levels (regional, sub-national and national).
ACCORD Trustee, H.E. Ambassador Billy Modise, has been awarded the Great Cross of the Order of Bernadro O'Higgins by the Government of Republic of Chile. The presentation will be made by the Ambassador of the Republic of Chile, H.E. Ambassador Franciso Marambio, at a reception to be hosted in Pretoria, South Africa, this evening. The Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, will be attending the ceremony.
- ACCORD hosts 4th phase of International Training Programme on Peace and Security
- ACCORD meets AU and UNOA officials to strengthen partnerships around the continental security architecture
- Ndinga-Muvumba at Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation 50th Anniversary Roundtable
- ACCORD working to enhance civilian capacities in the aftermath of conflicts
- Ndinga-Muvumba presents at US State Department conference on the AU
- ACCORD implements major new long-term international training programme to strengthen peace and security architecture in Africa
- ACCORD TfP Programme supports strengthening of UNMISS Civil Affairs
- Enhancing the nexus between peacekeeping and peacebuilding: an overview of ACCORD’s 2011 activities
- ACCORD recognised for second year running as 5th most influential Think Tank in Sub-Sahara Africa
- Cedric de Coning appointed to United Nations Peacebuilding Fund’s Advisory Board
- Panel Discussion on Climate Change Adaptation, Conflict and Cooperation during COP17
- ACCORD hosts authors' roundtable on 'Women, Peace and Security'
- ACCORD represented at ICGLR conference on sexual and gender-based violence
- ACCORD enhances French mediation capacity in Africa
- ACCORD provides high level conflict management training for Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Plight of child soldiers under spotlight
- New thrust from SA for global ban on child soldiers
- Extraordinary 11 year-old Andrew Adansi Bonnah visits South Africa to address leaders on child soldiers
- ACCORD supports AU's 'Conduct and Discipline Guidelines' development process
- ACCORD chairs session on food security at international conference on climate diplomacy