Between 10 and 17 June 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Mr. Vasu Gounden, accompanied by ACCORD's Senior Political Advisor, Mr. Aziz Pahad, and ACCORD's General Manager of Corporate Affairs, Mr. Hayden Allen, visited Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
On Thursday, 9 June, ACCORD Senior Research Fellow Angela Ndinga-Muvumba served as a discussant at Sida's launch of the 2011 World Bank Development Report. As the report focuses on the broad themes of conflict, security and development, Ndinga-Muvumba represented and promoted ACCORD's philosophy and work on conflict resolution to a broad constituency of international stakeholders.
ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department is currently recruiting a Research Intern with experience in environment, climate change and conflict. The applicant should have completed, or working towards the completion of, a post-graduate degree in a relative field to environment and climate.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD recently supported the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) Peacekeeping Best Practices Section (PBPS) in the implementation of their civil affairs skills training methodology by conducting a training-of-trainers course in Liberia, and a civil-affairs course specifically, for UNMIL. The training courses were aimed at ensuring Civil Affairs Officers are equipped with the required skills, and to develop a pool of trainers that can implement the DPKO's 'Civil Affairs Skills Training Methodology'.
On 16 May 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, opened a training that ACCORD was hosting in North Sudan for the National Centre for Diplomatic Studies. The training was conducted as one of the activities under the MoU that ACCORD signed with the Government of North Sudan in September 2010.
On 21 April 2011 ACCORD hosted a workshop in Freetown, Sierra Leone, which brought together key stakeholders to discuss strategies for ensuring sustainable locally-owned peacebuilding initiatives in Sierra Leone.
ACCORD, under its Sudan Conflict Transformation Initiative, held a five-day conflict management training course from 23-27 May 2011 in Durban, South Africa, for key personnel from South Sudan’s Ministry of Peace and CPA implementation. This initiative falls under the Memorandum of Understanding signed between ACCORD and the Ministry of Peace and CPA Implementation in April 2011, and aims to contribute to the achievement of positive peace in South Sudan.
On 25 May 2011 ACCORD was invited to be a partner in the hosting of the Africa 11 vs World 11 International Peace Day Soccer Match hosted by the African Union and the Michael Essien Foundation. In 2010 the AU declared 2010 the Year of Peace and Security. Michael Essien, an international soccer player and a Ghanaian national, is an AU Peace Ambassador. The soccer match was a commitment made in 2010, to be held on Africa Day in 2011.
On 14 and 15 May 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the African Union (AU) to be one of two external experts invited to attend the strategy session for the AU's Peace and Security Department. ACCORD has a long history of working with the AU, through its various Units. More recently ACCORD has undertaken a programme aimed at building mediation capacity on the Continent for the AU to respond to conflicts. ACCORD also has two staff seconded to the AU.
On 17 – 19 May 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at an "Integration as a factor for Africa's Renaissance" International Symposium in Lome, Togo, hosted by PAX Africana. Pax Africana was established by H.E. Mr. Edem Kodjo, the former Secretary-General of the then Organisation of African Unity (OAU), now the AU, and the former Prime Minister of the Republic of Togo. The aim of Pax Africana is to contribute towards the emergence of a better world, including Africa, with the objectives of guaranteeing peace in Africa by a proactive assessment of conflicts and their prevention through negotiation, mediation and the fostering of an environment to enhance development.
From 11-12 April 2011, ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department (KPD), in partnership with Uppsala University, hosted an authors’ workshop entitled Peace Agreements and Durable Peace in Africa in Durban, South Africa. The workshop brought together 10 authors from around Africa who are contributing chapters to a book co-edited by Dr. Grace Maina, Manager: Knowledge Production Department, ACCORD, and Erik Melander, a Professor from the Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University.
- ACCORD Supports Local Government Election Debate in KZN
- ACCORD remembers Rwandan genocide on 17 year anniversary
- ACCORD hosts the Anointed Spiritual Leader of the African Hebrew Israelites of Jerusalem
- ACCORD to hold 'Peace Agreement and Durable Peace in Africa' workshop
- ACCORD co-hosts 'Protection of Civilians' training feedback session for UN peacekeepers
- ACCORD advisor examines whether peacebuilders can work together
- ACCORD Legal Aid Clinic Project opens field office in Bubanza Province
- ACCORD hosts internal staff seminar on preventive action
- Developing strategy for security sector reform
- ACCORD meets with Sierra Leone Government
- ACCORD senior researcher Prof Jannie Malan contributes to The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace
- ACCORD hosts second writing skills workshop
- ACCORD contributes conflict management skills to curricula development in natural resource management
- ACCORD rated one of top think tanks in Sub-Saharan Africa
- ACCORD prepares SADC Officers for Peace Support Operations
- ACCORD presents on climate related conflicts in Sudan
- ACCORD reviews International Civilian Capacity for Peace Operations
- ACCORD conducts advanced training in mediation for the African Union
- ACCORD praised for contribution to Review of UN Peacebuilding Architecture
- M&G article: Women 'not worth a dead rat'