With the aim of strengthening the conflict management capacity in Burundi, ACCORD conducted a one day training session for twenty-two trainers of the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) in Bujumbura on 17 May 2010. The session focused on conflict management analysis, effective communication skills, and an overview of the importance and conduct of mediation.
ACCORD brought youth leaders and security forces together in Bujumbura on 10-13 May 2010 to formulate violence prevention strategies in their communities in preparation for the 2010 local and national elections.
View a selection of photogaphs from the 2010 Africa Peace Award ceremony, on 30 April 2010, at Durban's International Convention Centre. The award was presented to the President Ernest Bai Koroma on behalf of the Nation of Sierra Leone.
Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Dr Jean Ping, officially opened a new wing of ACCORD offices on Friday 30 April 2010. Dr Ping was visiting Durban as the Keynote speaker at the Africa-Dialogue review of the UN Peace building Commission hosted by ACCORD. He later addressed the gala ceremony to honor Sierra Leone with the 2010 Africa Peace Award.
President Ernest Bai Koroma and the people of Sierra Leone were honored at the 7th Africa Peace Award celebration hosted by the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) in Durban, South Africa, on 30 April.
View a selection of pictures from the recent ACCORD training for civilian peacekeepers: the Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
Concrete steps must be taken to strengthen the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission (PBC) ability to help countries emerging from conflict, with the aim of not only maintaining peace but promoting economic recovery and sustainable development. President Ernest Bai Koroma of Sierra Leone made this call at the closing of the high-level two-day seminar in Durban recently.
ACCORD, in its 18 years of finding African solutions to African challenges has moved from experience to excellence in being one of the first Non-Government Organisations to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of Sierra Leone.
ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme (TfP) Programme conducted a three day Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the African Union / United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID) from 26 – 28 April 2010 in Kampala, Uganda.
In preparation for elections starting 21 May, the ACCORD Burundi Intervention Unit will hold a conflict management training and dialogue session for youth leaders and security forces from the Western provinces of Burundi from 10 -13 May 2010 in Bujumbura, Burundi.
The 2010 Africa Peace Award will be presented to Sierra Leone in Durban, South Africa on the 30th of April at a gala awards ceremony hosted by the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD). President Ernest Bai Koroma will receive the award on behalf of his country at the prestigious event, which will be attended by South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma.
- ACCORD hosts Curriculum Development Workshop and Training Support Group Meeting on behalf of AU CMD
- ACCORD hosts project management and joint steering committee meetings for its African Union Mediation Support Project
- ACCORD brings Burundian civil society and security forces together for dialogue
- ACCORD equips UN trainers with conflict management skills
- SIDA website showcases ACCORD
- ACCORD & DIRCO to host review of UN Peacebuilding Commission
- ACCORD seconds Peacekeeping Co-ordinator to the African Union
- ACCORD to conduct dialogue session in preparation for Burundi elections
- ACCORD visit Luthuli museum
- International Women Day celebration
- ACCORD hosts peacebuilding workshop in Monrovia
- ACCORD conducts election-focused conflict management training for Burundi youth
- Deputy Head of Mission from French Embassy visits ACCORD
- Gounden attends opening of Parliament dinner
- ACCORD participate in scattering of last remaining ashes of Mahatma Gandhi
- Gounden attends first IAC meeting for 2010 as ICCO board member
- ACCORD supports pre-deployment Training for Malawi Armed Forces
- ACCORD conducts consultative field mission to Sudan
- TfP hosts 7th APSTA Annual General Meeting
- ACCORD to conduct conflict management training for youth leaders in Burundi