In late July 2011, ACCORD is to hold the second in a series of trainings on collaborative negotiation for agro-forestry education institutions in Francophone Africa. Given that natural resource conflicts have emerged as a key issue challenging local, regional, national and global security, ACCORD values the opportunity to bring our conflict management expertise and experience to this vital area.
From 11 - 14 April 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Mr. Vasu Gounden led an ACCORD delegation to Juba, South Sudan, to conduct high-level consultative meetings on the peace process in that country.
Peacekeeping analyst Gustavo de Carvalho represented TfP/ACCORD in a panel discussion on "Reflection from the Training Community" at the Training & Rostering Community Consultation on the United Nations (UN) Report of the Independent Review of Civilian Capacity in the Aftermath of Conflict. The Consultation was aimed at providing a forum for the civilian training and rostering community to consider and comment on the above-mentioned UN report, and to agree on steps to implement aspects of the report that may address training and rostering related issues.
On Thursday, 9 June, ACCORD Senior Research Fellow Angela Ndinga-Muvumba served as a discussant at Sida's launch of the 2011 World Bank Development Report. As the report focuses on the broad themes of conflict, security and development, Ndinga-Muvumba represented and promoted ACCORD's philosophy and work on conflict resolution to a broad constituency of international stakeholders.
ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department is currently recruiting a Research Intern with experience in environment, climate change and conflict. The applicant should have completed, or working towards the completion of, a post-graduate degree in a relative field to environment and climate.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD recently supported the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) Peacekeeping Best Practices Section (PBPS) in the implementation of their civil affairs skills training methodology by conducting a training-of-trainers course in Liberia, and a civil-affairs course specifically, for UNMIL. The training courses were aimed at ensuring Civil Affairs Officers are equipped with the required skills, and to develop a pool of trainers that can implement the DPKO's 'Civil Affairs Skills Training Methodology'.
On 04 and 05 July 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at 'Strengthening Preventive Diplomacy and Mediation' Retreat hosted by the Permanent Mission of Turkey to the United Nations (UN) for the UN Security Council, in Istanbul. The Retreat brought together members of the UN Security Council at ambassadorial level, as well as other stakeholders, to discuss ways to strengthen preventive diplomacy and mediation.
Between 10 and 17 June 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Mr. Vasu Gounden, accompanied by ACCORD's Senior Political Advisor, Mr. Aziz Pahad, and ACCORD's General Manager of Corporate Affairs, Mr. Hayden Allen, visited Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
ACCORD, under its Sudan Conflict Transformation Initiative, held a five-day conflict management training course from 23-27 May 2011 in Durban, South Africa, for key personnel from South Sudan’s Ministry of Peace and CPA implementation. This initiative falls under the Memorandum of Understanding signed between ACCORD and the Ministry of Peace and CPA Implementation in April 2011, and aims to contribute to the achievement of positive peace in South Sudan.
On 25 May 2011 ACCORD was invited to be a partner in the hosting of the Africa 11 vs World 11 International Peace Day Soccer Match hosted by the African Union and the Michael Essien Foundation. In 2010 the AU declared 2010 the Year of Peace and Security. Michael Essien, an international soccer player and a Ghanaian national, is an AU Peace Ambassador. The soccer match was a commitment made in 2010, to be held on Africa Day in 2011.
On 14 and 15 May 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the African Union (AU) to be one of two external experts invited to attend the strategy session for the AU's Peace and Security Department. ACCORD has a long history of working with the AU, through its various Units. More recently ACCORD has undertaken a programme aimed at building mediation capacity on the Continent for the AU to respond to conflicts. ACCORD also has two staff seconded to the AU.
- ACCORD hosts training in North Sudan for Diplomatic Studies
- Gounden contributes to PAX Africa symposium on integration
- ACCORD hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in Sierra Leone
- ACCORD hosts Peace Agreements Authors’ Workshop
- ACCORD Supports Local Government Election Debate in KZN
- ACCORD remembers Rwandan genocide on 17 year anniversary
- ACCORD hosts the Anointed Spiritual Leader of the African Hebrew Israelites of Jerusalem
- ACCORD to hold 'Peace Agreement and Durable Peace in Africa' workshop
- ACCORD co-hosts 'Protection of Civilians' training feedback session for UN peacekeepers
- ACCORD advisor examines whether peacebuilders can work together
- ACCORD Legal Aid Clinic Project opens field office in Bubanza Province
- ACCORD hosts internal staff seminar on preventive action
- Developing strategy for security sector reform
- ACCORD meets with Sierra Leone Government
- ACCORD senior researcher Prof Jannie Malan contributes to The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace
- ACCORD hosts second writing skills workshop
- ACCORD contributes conflict management skills to curricula development in natural resource management
- ACCORD rated one of top think tanks in Sub-Saharan Africa
- ACCORD prepares SADC Officers for Peace Support Operations
- ACCORD presents on climate related conflicts in Sudan