A delegation of Darfuri Women are now more prepared to address conflict challenges during the Doha peace process, having completed conflict resolution, negotiation and facilitation training conducted by the ACCORD Peacemaking Unit in partnership with the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) Sudan, and the African Union/United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNIMAD).
A High Level seminar on the role of women, peace and security in Africa has proposed measures to accelerate the implementation of Security Council Resolution 1325 in the context of the African Union (AU) Year of Peace and Security (YoPS), and the launch of the decade of the African Women 2010-2020. The Seminar brought together eminent practitioners, academics and policy makers from around the globe to advance an Africa-wide strategy for women in Peace and Security for the next decade (2010-2020).
The ACCORD Bujumbura office joined Peace day celebrations to applaud Burundi’s success in finding peace and to affirm the need to continue with ongoing efforts to ensure that sustainable peace prevails in the country.
ACCORD presented the preliminary findings of an assessment of the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) Civil Affairs Division (CAD) conflict management initiatives in South Sudan at a UNMIS planning workshop in Juba from 20-21 September 2010.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD facilitated a session on the Civilian Dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF) at the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Senior Mission Leaders Course (SML) to expose participants to critical aspects in the planning, management and conduct of contemporary multidimensional and integrated peace operations.
ACCORD has conducted field research in Sudan to investigate the increasing threat of climate related conflicts in Africa. The research findings will inform the work of policy makers and the NGO sector to deal with and prevent climate related conflicts.
ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit conducted Advanced Training in Mediation to advance the skills of Mediation Process Experts (MPE) and building a core mediation team that can advise mediation processes on the continent.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace Programme recently hosted an African Union (AU) Technical Workshop for the Heads and Civilian Dimension Focal Points of the African Standby Force (ASF).
ACCORD teamed-up with WhizzKids United for an International Peace Day Celebration on 21st September. In support of the UN 2010 theme of 'Peace, Youth and Development', ACCORD staff joined 150 Grade 5 learners who competed in a “World Cup” Tournament to graduate from a year-long 'On the Ball' WhizzKids United programme at Clarence Primary School in Greyville, South Africa.
The ACCORD Burundi Intervention is bringing together peacebuilding agents at the end of August to assess and monitor progress in the project titled “Post-Conflict Peacebuilding in Burundi: Promoting Peace, Reconciliation and effective Governance.”
Following the changed mandate of the UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), ACCORD has recently engaged with key peacebuilding stakeholders to consolidate sustainable peace efforts in the country.
- ACCORD assists development of SADC Civilian training courses
- ACCORD hosts study tour and conflict resolution training for Sudan CSOs
- ACCORD ramps up peacebuilding efforts
- ACCORD commemorates 150 years of the Indian Diaspora
- ACCORD conducts field research in Africa
- ACCORD introduces Academic Writing Workshops
- ACCORD conducts Conflict Management training for UNMIS
- ACCORD attends UN debate in New York
- ACCORD presents draft Civil Affairs Handbook in New York
- ACCORD plans Phase Four of the TfP Programme
- ACCORD papers published in online journals
- ACCORD supports UN Mission Strategies on Protection of Civilians
- ACCORD provides technical assistance to IFES
- ACCORD creates dialogue between Youth Leaders and Security Forces in Burundi
- ACCORD co-hosts Africa-Wide Dialogue for United Nations Peacebuilding Commission
- Africa Peace Award 2010 Photographic Gallery
- ACCORD signs MoU with government of Sierra Leone
- AU Chair Dr Jean Ping opens new ACCORD Offices
- ACCORD holds Conflict Management Course for UNAMID Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders
- The Nation of Sierra Leone shines at ACCORD 2010 Africa Peace Award