ACCORD’s Peacekeeping Analyst, Gustavo de Carvalho, recently joined Chiefs of Civil Affairs from UN field missions to discuss and coordinate efforts aimed at improving their work at a meeting in New York.
ACCORD staff recently flew to Oslo, Norway, to participate in planning the fourth phase of the Training for Peace Programme (TfP) in conjunction with our TfP partners. The meeting from 9-11 June was arranged by the Royal Norwegian Ministry for Foreign Affairs to discuss an updated strategy for the TfP Programme.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD and the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) supported the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) in a Workshop on Mission-Wide Protection Strategies on the Protection of Civilians in UN Peacekeeping Operations from 31 May – 01 June 2010 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
ACCORD brought youth leaders and security forces together in Bujumbura on 10-13 May 2010 to formulate violence prevention strategies in their communities in preparation for the 2010 local and national elections.
View a selection of photogaphs from the 2010 Africa Peace Award ceremony, on 30 April 2010, at Durban's International Convention Centre. The award was presented to the President Ernest Bai Koroma on behalf of the Nation of Sierra Leone.
Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Dr Jean Ping, officially opened a new wing of ACCORD offices on Friday 30 April 2010. Dr Ping was visiting Durban as the Keynote speaker at the Africa-Dialogue review of the UN Peace building Commission hosted by ACCORD. He later addressed the gala ceremony to honor Sierra Leone with the 2010 Africa Peace Award.
Senior Trainer and Advisor to ACCORD, Mr Cedric de Coning. has published two new research papers exploring different aspects of peace operations. In the online journal, Global Governance, Cedric focuses on the role of the special representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) in the context of UN integrated missions. This special edition of Global Governance focuses on mediation in post-conflict peace operations and we encourage everyone to read this edition of the journal.
With the aim of strengthening the conflict management capacity in Burundi, ACCORD conducted a one day training session for twenty-two trainers of the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) in Bujumbura on 17 May 2010. The session focused on conflict management analysis, effective communication skills, and an overview of the importance and conduct of mediation.
Concrete steps must be taken to strengthen the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission (PBC) ability to help countries emerging from conflict, with the aim of not only maintaining peace but promoting economic recovery and sustainable development. President Ernest Bai Koroma of Sierra Leone made this call at the closing of the high-level two-day seminar in Durban recently.
ACCORD, in its 18 years of finding African solutions to African challenges has moved from experience to excellence in being one of the first Non-Government Organisations to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of Sierra Leone.
ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme (TfP) Programme conducted a three day Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the African Union / United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID) from 26 – 28 April 2010 in Kampala, Uganda.
- The Nation of Sierra Leone shines at ACCORD 2010 Africa Peace Award
- ACCORD to unite youth leaders and security forces in Burundi
- Image gallery from UN ToT
- ACCORD awards 2010 Africa Peace Award to the Nation of Sierra Leone
- ACCORD hosts Curriculum Development Workshop and Training Support Group Meeting on behalf of AU CMD
- ACCORD hosts project management and joint steering committee meetings for its African Union Mediation Support Project
- ACCORD brings Burundian civil society and security forces together for dialogue
- ACCORD equips UN trainers with conflict management skills
- SIDA website showcases ACCORD
- ACCORD & DIRCO to host review of UN Peacebuilding Commission
- ACCORD seconds Peacekeeping Co-ordinator to the African Union
- ACCORD to conduct dialogue session in preparation for Burundi elections
- ACCORD visit Luthuli museum
- International Women Day celebration
- ACCORD hosts peacebuilding workshop in Monrovia
- ACCORD conducts election-focused conflict management training for Burundi youth
- Deputy Head of Mission from French Embassy visits ACCORD
- Gounden attends opening of Parliament dinner
- ACCORD participate in scattering of last remaining ashes of Mahatma Gandhi
- Gounden attends first IAC meeting for 2010 as ICCO board member