ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department (KPD) recently hosted an internal staff seminar with Dr William Tsuma, the Programme Manager of Action Learning from the Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC) in The Hague. Dr Tsuma gave a talk on preventive action, focusing on bridging the gap between early warning and response.
Dorcas Ettang, ACCORD Peacebuilding Unit Analyst and Security Sector Reform (SSR) specialist, represented the organisation at the 3rd Annual General Meeting of the Association for Security Sector Reform Training and Education (ASSET) in Antigua, Guatemala from 7-9 March, 2011. The meeting served to understand and analyse the regional dimensions of SSR with the main purpose of informing the other participants of developments in the various regions with regard to SSR, and the evolving strategic and policy frameworks.
Professor Jannie Malan, senior researcher at ACCORD and co-editor of the African Journal on Conflict Resolution, has contributed an article to The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace, a four-volume scholarly reference designated the CRS Book of the Year 2010 by the Council of the Conflict Research Society (CRS).
In February 2011, ACCORD was invited to contribute conflict management expertise to the process of developing new curricula in natural resource management for agro-forestry tertiary education institutions across the continent of Africa. The control and management of natural resources is seen as a major future driver of conflict, and ACCORD was delighted to play a role in preparing the leaders of tomorrow to play an effective role in conflict mitigation and resolution.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD was recently invited by the British Peace Support Team (BPST) to deliver training modules for a Peace Support Operations Staff Officer’s course at the Malawian Armed Forces College (MAFCO). The two-week integrated (Civilian, Police, and Military personnel) Staff Officer’s course was for Officers that will be deployed to African Union (AU) or United Nations (UN) Peace Support Operations (PSO) on the continent.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD, in partnership with the African Union (AU) and United Nations (UN), held a consultation on the Review of Civilian Capacities for Peace Operations in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 08 December 2010.
ACCORD’s Deputy Director, Jerome Sachane cemented the organisation’s relationship with the Government of Sierra Leone by visiting with government officials and influential members of the peacebuilding environment in Freetown from 21-25 February. The visit comes a year after ACCORD signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of Sierra Leone in April 2010, following the country’s acceptance of ACCORD’s 2010 Africa Peace Award.
ACCORD recently hosted a two-day workshop to enhance the writing skills of staff and encourage their contribution to academic and popular debates on African peace and conflict issues.
ACCORD has been recognized as the 5th most influential Think Tank in Sub-Saharan Africa and amongst the top 75 worldwide in an influential annual survey.
ACCORD presented the preliminary findings of research on climate related conflicts in Sudan to a conference on environmental change and migration. The conference shed light on the complex dynamics of environmentally induced migration and the related impact on communities.
As part of efforts to strengthen the mediation support capacity of the African Union (AU), the ACCORD Peacemaking Unit conducted Advanced Training in Mediation for AU staff from 24-26 November 2010 in Durban, South Africa. Participants represented the AU headquarters in Addis Ababa, as well as a variety of liaison offices including those in Western Sahara, the Central African Republic, Sudan, Chad, Kenya and the Ivory Coast.
- ACCORD praised for contribution to Review of UN Peacebuilding Architecture
- M&G article: Women 'not worth a dead rat'
- ACCORD presents African vision on UNSCR 1325 to the UN
- ACCORD advisor honored with prestigious Doctorate
- ACCORD to host Mano River Regional Peacebuilding Workshop in Liberia
- ACCORD conducts peacebuilding training in Bujumbura
- ACCORD trains Darfuri women in conflict management, negotiation and facilitation
- Renewed vision for women in peace and security in Africa
- ACCORD conducts advanced training in mediation
- ACCORD Burundi marks Peace Day
- ACCORD supports the AU in charting the future of the ASF Civilian Dimension
- ACCORD presents assessment findings to UNMIS/CAD on International Peace Day
- ACCORD celebrates World Peace Day with youth
- TfP/ACCORD helps develop Senior Peacekeeping Mission Leaders for SADC
- ACCORD Burundi to review peacebuilding progress
- ACCORD researches threat of climate related conflicts in Africa
- ACCORD building peace in the DRC
- ACCORD assists development of SADC Civilian training courses
- ACCORD hosts study tour and conflict resolution training for Sudan CSOs
- ACCORD ramps up peacebuilding efforts