ACCORD has been recognized as the 5th most influential Think Tank in Sub-Saharan Africa and amongst the top 75 worldwide in an influential annual survey.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD was recently invited by the British Peace Support Team (BPST) to deliver training modules for a Peace Support Operations Staff Officer’s course at the Malawian Armed Forces College (MAFCO). The two-week integrated (Civilian, Police, and Military personnel) Staff Officer’s course was for Officers that will be deployed to African Union (AU) or United Nations (UN) Peace Support Operations (PSO) on the continent.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD, in partnership with the African Union (AU) and United Nations (UN), held a consultation on the Review of Civilian Capacities for Peace Operations in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 08 December 2010.
The United Nations General Assembly and the Security Council simultaneously adopted Resolution 1947 on the “Review of the Peacebuilding Architecture” on 29 October 2010.
The Resolutions call on “all relevant UN actors to take forward, within their mandates and as appropriate, the recommendations of the report with the main aim of further improving the effectiveness of the Peacebuilding Commission” and also “recognizes that the peacebuilding work of the United Nations requires sustained and adequate resources to meet the challenges”.
ACCORD recently joined the United Nations (UN) to celebrate the 10th anniversary of UN Security Council Resolution 1325 (UNSCR 1325) on women in peace and security. The event provided an opportune moment for the promotion of the Durban Statement arising from the High Level Seminar on ‘UNSCR 1325 in 2020: Looking Forward…Looking Back’ hosted by ACCORD from 8-9 October 2010.
The success of peacebuilding in many countries is largely dependent on regional peace and stability. In collaboration with the Nairobi Peace Initiative-Africa (NPI) and the West African Network for Peace (WANEP), ACCORD will conduct a high-level, regional peacebuilding workshop from 27-29 October 2010 in Monrovia, Liberia. The workshop will bring together key stakeholders from the countries of Guinea-Conakry, Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone to create a clearer understanding of regional dynamics in the Mano River Region.
ACCORD presented the preliminary findings of research on climate related conflicts in Sudan to a conference on environmental change and migration. The conference shed light on the complex dynamics of environmentally induced migration and the related impact on communities.
As part of efforts to strengthen the mediation support capacity of the African Union (AU), the ACCORD Peacemaking Unit conducted Advanced Training in Mediation for AU staff from 24-26 November 2010 in Durban, South Africa. Participants represented the AU headquarters in Addis Ababa, as well as a variety of liaison offices including those in Western Sahara, the Central African Republic, Sudan, Chad, Kenya and the Ivory Coast.
Nikiwe Bikitsha, who was at the ACCORD 1325 seminar in Durban, reports in the Mail & Guardian on the state of women and Resolution 1325 on the continent of Africa...
Tor Sellström, a former Senior Advisor at ACCORD, has been awarded an honorary doctorate in Peace and Conflict Research by the University of Uppsala, Sweden.
In October, ACCORD held a training course in Burundi for a wide range of peacebuilding stakeholders. Participants at the training included representatives from the United Nations Integrated Mission in Burundi (BINUB), United Nations Country Team (UNCT), African Union (AU), Government and civil society in Burundi - all integral to the success of ongoing peacebuilding efforts in the country.
- ACCORD trains Darfuri women in conflict management, negotiation and facilitation
- Renewed vision for women in peace and security in Africa
- ACCORD conducts advanced training in mediation
- ACCORD Burundi marks Peace Day
- ACCORD supports the AU in charting the future of the ASF Civilian Dimension
- ACCORD presents assessment findings to UNMIS/CAD on International Peace Day
- ACCORD celebrates World Peace Day with youth
- TfP/ACCORD helps develop Senior Peacekeeping Mission Leaders for SADC
- ACCORD Burundi to review peacebuilding progress
- ACCORD researches threat of climate related conflicts in Africa
- ACCORD building peace in the DRC
- ACCORD assists development of SADC Civilian training courses
- ACCORD hosts study tour and conflict resolution training for Sudan CSOs
- ACCORD ramps up peacebuilding efforts
- ACCORD commemorates 150 years of the Indian Diaspora
- ACCORD conducts field research in Africa
- ACCORD introduces Academic Writing Workshops
- ACCORD conducts Conflict Management training for UNMIS
- ACCORD attends UN debate in New York
- ACCORD presents draft Civil Affairs Handbook in New York