ACCORD, under its Sudan Conflict Transformation Initiative, held a three-day Peacebuilding Forum in Juba, South Sudan from 10-12 August, 2011. The Forum sought to provide a platform for sharing on current and emerging issues in South Sudan, to explore avenues for coherence and collaboration amongst the various peacebuilding stakeholders, and to make recommendations on the way forward for South Sudan.
In early August, TfP/ACCORD participated in an African Standby Force (ASF) Civilian Focal Points Planning Workshop aimed at reviewing progress achieved thus far on the development of the ASF civilian dimension at the continental and regional levels and to develop a joint ASF work plan for the upcoming year. This is part of a deliberate effort, supported by TfP/ACCORD and following the continental exercise – Amani Africa I in 2010 – that tested the ASF and its components, to better improve on the civilian and multidimensional aspects of the ASF during this third phase of its development.
The International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) Executive Secretary, Ambassador Liberata Mulamula and the Founder and Executive Director of the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (Accord), Mr Vasu Gounden, signed this 11 August in Bujumbura a Memorendum of understanding between their two organizations, whereby the two parties are to work together to support common objectives.
ACCORD held an interactive training course for key peacebuilding actors in the DRC from 25-29 July, 2011 in Lubumbashi. The aim was to enhance understanding on the Presidential elections to be held in November 2011, to enable stakeholders to play a role in preventing and mitigating electoral violence.
On 18 July 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at a seminar on South Africa's membership of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the period 2011-2012, hosted by the South African Department for International Relations and Co-operation (DIRCO). Gounden was asked to provide an assessment of solutions to conflicts in Africa.
From 11 - 14 April 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Mr. Vasu Gounden led an ACCORD delegation to Juba, South Sudan, to conduct high-level consultative meetings on the peace process in that country.
Under its African Peacebuilding Co-ordination Programme (APCP), ACCORD is holding a Joint Peacebuilding Training and Study Tour in Durban and Johannesburg between 22 August and 2 September 2011. The training event will bring together high-level peacebuilding stakeholders from Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Liberia, Sudan and South Sudan to share their experiences and gain new insights into best practices and lessons learnt regarding the topic of "Elections, Governance and Conflict".
The Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at the 'Second Africa Governance, Leadership and Management Convention', hosted by the Kenya Institute of Management and the Africa Leadership Forum from 2-5 August 2011 in Mombasa, Kenya.
Mr Zinurine Alghali, Peacekeeping Unit Senior Programme Officer, represented TfP/ACCORD at the Joint African Union (AU) /European Union (EU) Experts Workshop and contributed to the review of activities undertaken so far with regards to the implementation of the EU support programme to African Training Centres; for the African Standby Force (ASF).
In late July 2011, ACCORD is to hold the second in a series of trainings on collaborative negotiation for agro-forestry education institutions in Francophone Africa. Given that natural resource conflicts have emerged as a key issue challenging local, regional, national and global security, ACCORD values the opportunity to bring our conflict management expertise and experience to this vital area.
On 04 and 05 July 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at 'Strengthening Preventive Diplomacy and Mediation' Retreat hosted by the Permanent Mission of Turkey to the United Nations (UN) for the UN Security Council, in Istanbul. The Retreat brought together members of the UN Security Council at ambassadorial level, as well as other stakeholders, to discuss ways to strengthen preventive diplomacy and mediation.
- TfP/ACCORD contributes to consultation on UN Report of the Independent Review of Civilian Capacity in the Aftermath of Conflict
- ACCORD conducts tour of Nordic countries
- Senior Research Fellow Angela Ndinga-Muvumba discusses 2011 World Bank Development Report
- South Sudan: Turning hope into reality
- ACCORD recruiting for an Environment & Conflict Research Intern
- ACCORD partners in soccer for peace
- TfP/ACCORD helps UN DPKO implement civil affairs training
- ACCORD helps AU develop strategic plan for Peace and Security Department
- ACCORD hosts training in North Sudan for Diplomatic Studies
- Gounden contributes to PAX Africa symposium on integration
- ACCORD hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in Sierra Leone
- ACCORD hosts Peace Agreements Authors’ Workshop
- ACCORD Supports Local Government Election Debate in KZN
- ACCORD remembers Rwandan genocide on 17 year anniversary
- ACCORD hosts the Anointed Spiritual Leader of the African Hebrew Israelites of Jerusalem
- ACCORD to hold 'Peace Agreement and Durable Peace in Africa' workshop
- ACCORD co-hosts 'Protection of Civilians' training feedback session for UN peacekeepers
- ACCORD advisor examines whether peacebuilders can work together
- ACCORD Legal Aid Clinic Project opens field office in Bubanza Province
- ACCORD hosts internal staff seminar on preventive action