The TfP programme at ACCORD is assisting the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) with the development of a Civil Affairs Handbook. Civil Affairs is one of the largest civilian components in UN peacekeeping, with around 500 staff members currently deployed in the field to facilitate the implementation of peacekeeping mandates at the sub-national level.
TfP/ACCORD participated in the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Standby Force (SSF) Field Training Exercise (FTX) After Action Review (AAR) Workshop hosted by the SADC Regional Peacekeeping Training Centre (RPTC) from 11-14 October 2009 at the centre in Harare, Zimbabwe. The AAR aimed to take stock of the whole exercise to identify challenges experienced and lessons learned to inform the ongoing development of the SSF.
ACCORD’s Burundi Intervention conducted a capacity building training in Conflict Management skills from 29 September - 1 October 2009 in Bujumbura, Burundi for twenty-three staff members of the Information, Counseling, Legal Assistance (ICLA) Programme of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Burundi.
Tor Sellström, Senior Advisor to ACCORD, was invited to speak at the celebrations for the International Day of Peace (21 September 2009) at the Luthuli Museum in Groutville, KwaZulu Natal.
On the 14th and 15th of September 2009, ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department (KPD) hosted a peace agreements workshop at the Royal Palm Conference Centre in Durban. The aim of the workshop was to examine the democratization and developmental components of African peace agreements in the light of objectives for durable peace.
On 09 September 2009 ACCORD held its sixth Trustee EXCOM Meeting at ACCORD House. This was the second meeting for 2009. The next EXCOM meeting will be held in April 2010.
On 07 October 2009 ACCORD's Executive Director, Vasu Gounden, met with Jeremy Astill-Brown, the former DIFID Southern Africa conflict advisor. Mr. Astill-Brown interviewed Mr. Gounden as part of a study that he was undertaking for DFID to help them identify if a development programme like DFID South Africa should have a peace and security dimension and if so why and how.
TfP/ACCORD Participated in the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Standby Force (SSF) Field Training Exercise (FTX) code-named Exercise Goldfinho which was hosted by South Africa from 1-26 September 2009 at the South Africa National Defence Force (SANDF) Combat Training Centre (CTC) in Lohatla, Northern Province.
In late 2008 Vasu Gounden, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, was appointed onto the ICCO’s International Advisory Council. He was therefore invited to participate in an International Working Conference hosted by ICCO from 14 to 18 September 2009. The purpose of the conference was to finalize and conclude the process of dialogue of the key stakeholders regarding the preparation of ICCO’s strategic plan for 2011- 2015. The conference was find out whether there was common ground to make a shift to decentralised cooperation with Southern partners and how this transition process should be planned, taking into account that co-responsibility should be one of the key elements of the new organisation.
On 07 September 2009 Mr. Aziz Pahad visited ACCORD House where he shared his views on the current environment on the Continent with ACCORD’s Programme Staff. He also shared some of his experiences during his time as Deputy Foreign Minister.
TFP/ACCORD participated in the African Union (AU) African Standby Force (ASF) Map Exercise (MAPEX) that was conducted in Addis Abba, Ethiopia from 31 August - 4 September 2009. This is the first major practical exercise of the AMANI AFRICA Cycle. The exercise was comprised of a series of studies, discussions and exercises to practice all aspects of the deployment of an integrated AU mission.
- ACCORD conducts second conflict management training for UNAMID
- ACCORD conduct election observation and mediation training in Bujumbura
- ACCORD run civilian peacebuilding training in Monrovia
- Gounden resource person at Heinrich Böll Stiftung conference
- ACCORD/SADC RPTC conducts Integrated Course for SADC Standby Force
- Filmmaker Nandita Das visits ACCORD
- ACCORD participates in ASF Evaluation Concept Workshop
- Strategic Planning Session for Office for Strategic Studies and Development in Bujumbura
- ACCORD hosts Aung San Suu Kyi delegation
- ACCORD executive in New York & Washington
- AU endorsement of Staffing Training & Rostering (STR) workshop report
- ACCORD Conducts Election-Related Conflict Management Training in Bujumbura
- ACCORD hosts peacebuilding training in collaboration with the Liberia Peacebuilding Office in Monrovia
- AU PSOD/ACCORD conducts ASF Civilian Dimension technical rostering workshop
- Gounden attends ICCO advisory board meeting
- ACCORD at 7th Oslo Forum
- ACCORD signs MoU with Government of Burundi
- First ACCORD board meeting for 2009
- Uppsala University visits ACCORD
- ACCORD participate in Cape Town Book Fair