The ACCORD Peacemaking Unit hosted a curriculum development workshop and training support group meeting in Durban from 23 - 25 March 2010. Present at the activities were representatives from the African Union Conflict Management Division (AU CMD), Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), the Folke Bernadotte Academy and ACCORD.
The ACCORD Peacemaking Unit hosted project management and joint steering committee meetings for its African Union (AU) Mediation Support Project, in Durban on 26 and 30 March 2010 respectively.
Present at the meetings were representatives from the African Union Conflict Management Division (AU CMD), the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), and ACCORD. Representatives of the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who fund the AU Mediation Support Project, attended the joint steering committee meeting.
To meet the increased demand for training civilian peacekeepers, ACCORD, through its Peacekeeping Unit, recently hosted a Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
In recognition of South Africa’s role as co-facilitator in the review of the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission (PBC), the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) and ACCORD will be jointly hosting an Africa-wide Dialogue to review the progress of the PBC since its establishment in 2005.
ACCORD's Burundi Intervention will conduct a dialogue session for local civil society organizations and security forces as part of a series of initiatives to contribute to peace efforts in Burundi before, during and after the May to September 2010 elections.
In celebration of International Women Day the 8th March, the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) Ms Maite Nkoana-Mashabane hosted a Banquet Dinner at the Presidential Guest house and seminar at DIRCO
ACCORD'S Burundi Intervention Unit facilitated a three-day dialogue session for local civil society leaders, army and police commanders in Gitega, Burundi, from 29-31 March, in preparation for the country's 2010 local and national elections.
The Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) English website has highlighted the work of ACCORD in a feature article entitled, 'Peace Organization Emerges from the Shadow of Mandela'.
ACCORD’s Peacekeeping Co-ordinator, Yvonne Kasumba will take-up a six month secondment to the African Union (AU) as the Civilian Liason Officer in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from the 1st April 2010.
ACCORD's Knowledge Production Department together with staff from the Interventions Department, paid a visit to the Luthuli Museum in Groutville on 12 March. The visit was as part of ACCORD’s mandate to build Fellows’ networks and capacity under the organisation’s Junior Fellowship Programme.
The ACCORD Peacebuilding Unit’s African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) recently organized and conducted a Peacebuilding Workshop in collaboration with the Liberia Peacebuilding Office under the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Liberia. The activity took place from 1-5 March 2010 and brought together a cross section of 26 participants from key regions in Liberia.
- ACCORD conducts election-focused conflict management training for Burundi youth
- Deputy Head of Mission from French Embassy visits ACCORD
- Gounden attends opening of Parliament dinner
- ACCORD participate in scattering of last remaining ashes of Mahatma Gandhi
- Gounden attends first IAC meeting for 2010 as ICCO board member
- ACCORD supports pre-deployment Training for Malawi Armed Forces
- ACCORD conducts consultative field mission to Sudan
- TfP hosts 7th APSTA Annual General Meeting
- ACCORD to conduct conflict management training for youth leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD hosts Sudanese Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Ambassador Ali Al Shariff
- ACCORD at ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- Gounden meets with Special Representative of Finnish Minister of Foreign Affairs
- AMISOM Visits ACCORD's Durban Offices
- Gounden acts as resource person ISLP international trade negotiation training
- Seasons Greetings!
- ACCORD hosts AMISOM confidence-building workshop for TCCs
- ACCORD attends International Sudan Studies Conference
- Joint South African-German Training Programme for Diplomats from SADC Countries
- ACCORD hosts farewell dinner for outgoing Indian Consul General
- ACCORD Board of Trustees holds final meeting for 2009