The Training for Peace (TFP) Programme at ACCORD conducted its first specialised in mission Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders for 2009 for the United Nations Operations for Cote d’Ivoire (UNOCI) from 25-27 February 2009 in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
On 23 February 2009 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a Panel Discussion Moderator at a panel discussion hosted by the United States (US) Consulate in Durban on the topic “Race thinking and thinking about Race”. The discussion was arranged as part of a series of activities planned by the Consulate to mark Black History Month, which is celebrated in the US each February.
On 24 February 2009 ACCORD hosted a small group from the Swedish Defense Research Agency, who met with ACCORD to discuss mutual areas of research and collaboration on Africa’s Peace and Security Architecture.
The Training for Peace (TFP) Programme at ACCORD conducted a Mission Preparedness Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) and an Admin and Finance Specialisation Course for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM) from 9-13 February 2009 and 16-18 February 2009, respectively, in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Training for Peace (TFP) Programme at ACCORD conducted a Mission Preparedness Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) and an Admin and Finance Specialisation Course for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM) from 9 - 13 February 2009 and 16 - 18 February 2009, respectively, in Nairobi, Kenya.
Shauna Mottiar researcher at ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department attended the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) 2009 elections briefing. The briefing was held in Pretoria on the 21st of January. Its objectives were to update civil society on the IEC’s election preparations as well as to explore how faith based and non governmental organizations can partner with the IEC to uphold the constitutional principles inherent in the electoral process and encourage the communities in which they work to do the same.
On 24 and 25 February 2009, ACCORD hosted H.E. Dr. Salim Salim, the former Secretary General of the Organisation of African Unity (now the African Union). Dr. Salim was in South Africa to gather information on the process leading up to the April 2009 South African elections for the African Union.
On 24 February 2009 the Hon. Commissioner Nancy Boxill, a Board member of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research’s (UNITAR) International Training Centre for Local Authorities in Atlanta (CIFAL Atlanta) visited ACCORD House. Commissioner Boxill is the County Commissioner and Chair of the UNITAR-CIFAL Atlanta Global Leadership Initiative on Gender Equality in Cities.
On 19 February 2009 Salomé van Jaarsveld, ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Officer, attended a symposium on Global Migration and its Impacts on Human Rights, Development and Security.
On 29 January 2009 Proscovia Svärd visited ACCORD House as part of ACCORD’s partnership with the Nordic Africa Institute (NAI). Ms Svärd was in South Africa to attend a conference in Johannesburg.
On Sunday, 18 January 2009 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to participate in the celebrations marking the 40th Anniversary of the community of Mpumalanga in KwaZulu Natal.
- ACCORD invited to IEC briefing
- ICRC head visits ACCORD
- Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa
- ACCORD contributes to dialogue and mediation workshop in Ethiopia
- Graça Machel elected chair of ACCORD Board of Trustees
- ACCORD at launch of Governance Programme in Liberia
- Gounden attends AfAP AGM
- ACCORD presents TOPS seminar in Sweden
- ACCORD take part in Finish study programme
- Peacebuilding Stakeholders from Sudan meet in Uganda
- Norway and ACCORD sign new TfP agreement
- Lee Ann Sedowski visits ACCORD
- ACCORD discusses global developments with Burundian and Indian delegations
- ACCORD Hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in Bujumbura, Burundi
- Peacebuilding Programme Participates in NUPI R2P Seminar
- NUPI director Jan Egeland visits ACCORD
- ACCORD trains peacebuilders in Liberia
- Former US Ambassador to Burkina Faso visits ACCORD
- ACCORD host new Swedish Ambassador to SA
- ACCORD trains Somali Joint Security Committee