ACCORD Trustee Graça Machel was awarded a Doctor Honoris Causa by the University of Barcelona, Spain, yesterday. Graça Machel is the chairperson of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (GAVI). Presenting the Award at an official ceremony, the Chancellor of the University stated that Graça Machel represents “justice, freedom and democracy.
On the 16th of April Dr. Ziad Abu-Amr, who is a member of the Palestinian Legislative Council, the founder of the Palestinian Council on Foreign Relations and a former Palestinian Foreign Minister, visited ACCORD House along with Kjell-Ake Nordquist from the Stockholm School of Theology Human Rights Programme (previously the Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University).
ACCORD’s Kemi Ogunsanya will present a paper on ‘Mitigating Election-Related Conflicts in the SADC region’ at an elections observation training workshop for SADC Members of Parliaments.
On Sunday, 20 April 2008 the 4th Annual Mahatma Gandhi Salt March was held in Durban. The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, who is a Trustee of the Gandhi Development Trust, was the director of programmes for the event held after the march at Battery Beach, while Hayden Allen (General Manager: Corporate Affairs, ACCORD) coordinated the programme for the event.
Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow of ACCORD, has been invited to attend the 5th G8++ Africa Clearing House Conference that is taking place in Tokyo, Japan from 23-24 April.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Women in Security Conflict Management and Peace (WISCOMP), based in New Delhi, to be a resource person at their International Symposium on Dialogue Process, which was held from 15-17 March 2008.
On the 10th of April Stuart Bloomfield, a Senior Evaluation Manager in the Office of the Inspector General in the Evaluation Department at the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade in Canada, visited ACCORD House.
On 15 April Norimasa Yoshida, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) NEPAD Advisor, visited ACCORD House to discuss ACCORD’s plans for the construction of the Africa Peace Centre (APC) in order to assist with identifying possible funding opportunities from Japan. During the visit Mr. Yoshida met with ACCORD Staff and visited the site for the APC on the Bluff Headland.
On 16 April 2008 ACCORD held its third Trustee EXCOM Meeting at ACCORD House. Two EXCOM meetings are held each year and this was the first meeting for 2008. The second EXCOM meeting will be held in August 2008.
On 8 December 2007 ACCORD hosted its Annual Trustees meeting at the Polana Serena Hotel in Maputo, Mozambique. The meeting was attended by five of ACCORD’s eight Trustees, who were accompanied by their spouses. During the late morning ACCORD was honoured to have former South Africa President H. E. President Nelson Mandela meet informally with ACCORD’s Trustees and Staff.
On 6 March 2008 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to meet with Mr. Frydenlund at the Norwegian Embassy in Pretoria. Mr. Frydenlund is the Head of the Department responsible for the Horn and Central Africa (including Burundi) at the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The main focus of the meeting was ACCORD’s work in Burundi.
- Gounden Meets Finish Director General for Africa
- ACCORD holds consultations on peacebuilding process in Liberia
- Conflict Management Training for Civil Society Women Leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD to train SANDF for UN and AU deployment
- Swedish Embassy and Sida visit ACCORD
- DFID Conflict Advisor visits ACCORD
- ACCORD to train women leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD to participate in dialogue on civilian protection in Africa
- ACCORD trains Burundian civil society in conflict management
- ACCORD to host planning for African Standby Force
- ACCORD to assist with exercise scenarios for African Standby Force
- Dialogue Session and Conflict Management Training in Lubango
- CIMIC from a Norwegian Perspective: Reconciling UN, NATO & PRT Approaches
- Unintended Consequences of Peacekeeping
- Basic Conflict Management Training for media in Burundi
- SADC Workshop on Peace Operations
- Finnish government representatives visit ACCORD
- Visit to ACCORD by H.E. High Commissioner Rajiv Bhatia
- Gounden attends Brussels workshop on the EU’s role in conflict prevention
- Canadian High Commission visit ACCORD