TfP/ACCORD Participated in the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Standby Force (SSF) Field Training Exercise (FTX) code-named Exercise Goldfinho which was hosted by South Africa from 1-26 September 2009 at the South Africa National Defence Force (SANDF) Combat Training Centre (CTC) in Lohatla, Northern Province.
Tor Sellström, Senior Advisor to ACCORD, was invited to speak at the celebrations for the International Day of Peace (21 September 2009) at the Luthuli Museum in Groutville, KwaZulu Natal.
On the 14th and 15th of September 2009, ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department (KPD) hosted a peace agreements workshop at the Royal Palm Conference Centre in Durban. The aim of the workshop was to examine the democratization and developmental components of African peace agreements in the light of objectives for durable peace.
On 09 September 2009 ACCORD held its sixth Trustee EXCOM Meeting at ACCORD House. This was the second meeting for 2009. The next EXCOM meeting will be held in April 2010.
Due to the relevance and success of the first TfP/ACCORD Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the African Union - United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID), held from 3 -5 June 2009, the Chief of the UNAMID Civil Affairs Division requested a second training course for the new intake of Civil Affairs Officers. The Programme thus conducted a second in-mission Conflict Management course for UNAMID Civil Affairs Officers, most of whom fall within the ‘National Professional Officers’ category, from 12-14 August 2009 in Kampala Uganda.
The Foreign Service Institute of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Liberia and ACCORD, with sponsorship from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland, in collaboration with the Angie Brooks International Centre, are hosting a one week Civilian Peacebuilding/Bridge Builders Training Course in Monrovia from 10-14 August 2009.
In late 2008 Vasu Gounden, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, was appointed onto the ICCO’s International Advisory Council. He was therefore invited to participate in an International Working Conference hosted by ICCO from 14 to 18 September 2009. The purpose of the conference was to finalize and conclude the process of dialogue of the key stakeholders regarding the preparation of ICCO’s strategic plan for 2011- 2015. The conference was find out whether there was common ground to make a shift to decentralised cooperation with Southern partners and how this transition process should be planned, taking into account that co-responsibility should be one of the key elements of the new organisation.
On 07 September 2009 Mr. Aziz Pahad visited ACCORD House where he shared his views on the current environment on the Continent with ACCORD’s Programme Staff. He also shared some of his experiences during his time as Deputy Foreign Minister.
TFP/ACCORD participated in the African Union (AU) African Standby Force (ASF) Map Exercise (MAPEX) that was conducted in Addis Abba, Ethiopia from 31 August - 4 September 2009. This is the first major practical exercise of the AMANI AFRICA Cycle. The exercise was comprised of a series of studies, discussions and exercises to practice all aspects of the deployment of an integrated AU mission.
The ACCORD Burundi Intervention conducted a capacity building training in election observation and mediation for COSOME (Coalition de la Société Civile pour le Monitoring des Elections), and ABR (Association Burundaise des Radiodiffuseurs) from 10 - 13 August 2009 in Bujumbura, Burundi. The training was observed by representatives from the National Independent Electoral Commission (CENI, who managers the electoral process in Burundi) and the National Council for Communication (who supervisors media activities in Burundi).
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at an international high level conference arranged by the Heinrich Böll Stiftung (HBS) on the topic “Climate Change, Resources, Migration: Old and New Sources of Conflict in Africa.”. The conference was held in Cape Town on 03 and 04 August 2009.
- ACCORD/SADC RPTC conducts Integrated Course for SADC Standby Force
- Filmmaker Nandita Das visits ACCORD
- ACCORD participates in ASF Evaluation Concept Workshop
- Strategic Planning Session for Office for Strategic Studies and Development in Bujumbura
- ACCORD hosts Aung San Suu Kyi delegation
- ACCORD executive in New York & Washington
- AU endorsement of Staffing Training & Rostering (STR) workshop report
- ACCORD Conducts Election-Related Conflict Management Training in Bujumbura
- ACCORD hosts peacebuilding training in collaboration with the Liberia Peacebuilding Office in Monrovia
- AU PSOD/ACCORD conducts ASF Civilian Dimension technical rostering workshop
- Gounden attends ICCO advisory board meeting
- ACCORD at 7th Oslo Forum
- ACCORD signs MoU with Government of Burundi
- First ACCORD board meeting for 2009
- Uppsala University visits ACCORD
- ACCORD participate in Cape Town Book Fair
- Gounden at Cape Town WEF
- TFP/ACCORD host Jaume Guardans from Europeaid Cooperation Office
- Gouden resource person at EU "Making a Difference" conference
- TfP/ACCORD conducts conflict management course for UNAMID