ACCORD hosted the first Annual General Meeting of the Association of Security Sector Education and Training (ASSET), which was held in Durban from 4-6 March 2009. The meeting brought together a variety of institutions from across the continent involved in SSR training and education to engage and share information and ideas on the challenges encountered in current Security Sector Reform (SSR) agendas and avenues of moving forward to address these challenges.
On request by the African Union (AU) Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD), TfP/ACCORD participated and represented the civilian dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF), in a planning meeting for Exercise AMANI Africa from 12 – 13 March 2009 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
On South African human Rights Day, 21 March 2009, Vasu Gounden attended the launch of the book “More Footprints that shaped our world” by South African author and activist Phyllis Naidoo. Former South African First Lady, Mrs Zanele Mbeki, was the guest speaker at the event.
Shauna Mottiar, Senior Researcher in ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department, attended a workshop at the Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) in Pretoria on the 12th of March 2009. The workshop, convened by the HSRC’s Democracy and Governance Unit, aimed to design an appropriate methodology to respond to Xenophobia in South Africa.
On 4 March 2009 ACCORD and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, with the participation of the African Union, hosted a seminar in Addis Ababa entitled “Mediating Peace in Africa: Securing Conflict Prevention”. The seminar, focusing on the role of mediation in Africa and in the developing African Peace and Security Architecture, brought together representatives from the African Union, African Union Member States, civil societyl, development partner governments, and interested parties
The Training for Peace (TFP) Programme at ACCORD conducted its first specialised in mission Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders for 2009 for the United Nations Operations for Cote d’Ivoire (UNOCI) from 25-27 February 2009 in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
ACCORD is to host a number of events to celebrate the launch of a study on coexistence titled Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa. The publication is the result of a study undertaken in partnership with the New York-based Coexistence Initiative (TCI) in 2003 and again in 2008.
On 11 March 2009, ACCORD participated in a conference in Jinja, Uganda, on HIV/AIDS and the African Military that was hosted by the African Union (AU) Commission, the Uganda People’s Defence Forces and supported by the Institute for Security Studies (ISS).
TfP/ACCORD participated in an African Union (AU) – European Union (EU) Training Needs and Capabilities Workshop held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 5 and 6 March 2009. The purpose of the workshop was to deliberate on the preliminary findings of an AU – EU joint expert study undertaken to identify African training capabilities and needs.
TfP /ACCORD participated in a seminar entitled Mediating Peace in Africa: Securing Conflict Prevention hosted by the African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) at ACCORD and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 4 March 2009.
On 23 February 2009 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a Panel Discussion Moderator at a panel discussion hosted by the United States (US) Consulate in Durban on the topic “Race thinking and thinking about Race”. The discussion was arranged as part of a series of activities planned by the Consulate to mark Black History Month, which is celebrated in the US each February.
- Salim A. Salim visits ACCORD to gather information on election process
- Swedish Defense Research Agency visit ACCORD
- Hon. Commissioner Nancy Boxill visits ACCORD
- ACCORD conducts training for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM)
- ACCORD researcher attends global symposium on migration
- ACCORD Conducts Training for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM)
- ACCORD hosts Proscovia Svärd of NAI
- ACCORD attends IEC 2009 elections briefing
- ACCORD re-presents APA to Mpumalanga community
- ACCORD invited to IEC briefing
- ICRC head visits ACCORD
- Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa
- ACCORD contributes to dialogue and mediation workshop in Ethiopia
- Graça Machel elected chair of ACCORD Board of Trustees
- ACCORD at launch of Governance Programme in Liberia
- Gounden attends AfAP AGM
- ACCORD presents TOPS seminar in Sweden
- ACCORD take part in Finish study programme
- Peacebuilding Stakeholders from Sudan meet in Uganda
- Norway and ACCORD sign new TfP agreement