On South African human Rights Day, 21 March 2009, Vasu Gounden attended the launch of the book “More Footprints that shaped our world” by South African author and activist Phyllis Naidoo. Former South African First Lady, Mrs Zanele Mbeki, was the guest speaker at the event.
On 11 March 2009, ACCORD participated in a conference in Jinja, Uganda, on HIV/AIDS and the African Military that was hosted by the African Union (AU) Commission, the Uganda People’s Defence Forces and supported by the Institute for Security Studies (ISS).
TfP/ACCORD participated in an African Union (AU) – European Union (EU) Training Needs and Capabilities Workshop held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 5 and 6 March 2009. The purpose of the workshop was to deliberate on the preliminary findings of an AU – EU joint expert study undertaken to identify African training capabilities and needs.
TfP /ACCORD participated in a seminar entitled Mediating Peace in Africa: Securing Conflict Prevention hosted by the African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) at ACCORD and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 4 March 2009.
On 23 February 2009 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a Panel Discussion Moderator at a panel discussion hosted by the United States (US) Consulate in Durban on the topic “Race thinking and thinking about Race”. The discussion was arranged as part of a series of activities planned by the Consulate to mark Black History Month, which is celebrated in the US each February.
On 24 February 2009 ACCORD hosted a small group from the Swedish Defense Research Agency, who met with ACCORD to discuss mutual areas of research and collaboration on Africa’s Peace and Security Architecture.
Shauna Mottiar, Senior Researcher in ACCORD’s Knowledge Production Department, attended a workshop at the Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) in Pretoria on the 12th of March 2009. The workshop, convened by the HSRC’s Democracy and Governance Unit, aimed to design an appropriate methodology to respond to Xenophobia in South Africa.
On 4 March 2009 ACCORD and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, with the participation of the African Union, hosted a seminar in Addis Ababa entitled “Mediating Peace in Africa: Securing Conflict Prevention”. The seminar, focusing on the role of mediation in Africa and in the developing African Peace and Security Architecture, brought together representatives from the African Union, African Union Member States, civil societyl, development partner governments, and interested parties
The Training for Peace (TFP) Programme at ACCORD conducted its first specialised in mission Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders for 2009 for the United Nations Operations for Cote d’Ivoire (UNOCI) from 25-27 February 2009 in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
On 24 and 25 February 2009, ACCORD hosted H.E. Dr. Salim Salim, the former Secretary General of the Organisation of African Unity (now the African Union). Dr. Salim was in South Africa to gather information on the process leading up to the April 2009 South African elections for the African Union.
On 24 February 2009 the Hon. Commissioner Nancy Boxill, a Board member of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research’s (UNITAR) International Training Centre for Local Authorities in Atlanta (CIFAL Atlanta) visited ACCORD House. Commissioner Boxill is the County Commissioner and Chair of the UNITAR-CIFAL Atlanta Global Leadership Initiative on Gender Equality in Cities.
- ACCORD conducts training for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM)
- ACCORD researcher attends global symposium on migration
- ACCORD Conducts Training for the African Union Mission for Somalia (AMISOM)
- ACCORD hosts Proscovia Svärd of NAI
- ACCORD attends IEC 2009 elections briefing
- ACCORD re-presents APA to Mpumalanga community
- ACCORD invited to IEC briefing
- ICRC head visits ACCORD
- Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa
- ACCORD contributes to dialogue and mediation workshop in Ethiopia
- Graça Machel elected chair of ACCORD Board of Trustees
- ACCORD at launch of Governance Programme in Liberia
- Gounden attends AfAP AGM
- ACCORD presents TOPS seminar in Sweden
- ACCORD take part in Finish study programme
- Peacebuilding Stakeholders from Sudan meet in Uganda
- Norway and ACCORD sign new TfP agreement
- Lee Ann Sedowski visits ACCORD
- ACCORD discusses global developments with Burundian and Indian delegations
- ACCORD Hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in Bujumbura, Burundi