The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to attend the International Advisory Board Meeting for the Interchurch Organization for Development Cooperation (ICCO), which was held in Scheveningen, The Netherlands from the 21st to the 24th of June 2009. Mr. Gounden was appointed to the ICCO board in late 2008 after attending their regional meeting that was held in Madagascar and which aimed to investigate how to implement their new innovation process in the Southern Africa region.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at the Oslo Forum, which is co-hosted by the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue. The retreat was held from the 16th to the 18th of June 2009 in Oslo, Norway. The Oslo Forum invites senior mediators and peace process actors to reflect critically on current mediation practices and to explore innovative approaches to address the changing environment in which mediators are operating.
On 19 June 2009 ACCORD hosted its first Board of Trustees Meeting for 2009, which was held at the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Houghton, Gauteng. The second Board meeting will be held in November 2009.
ACCORD participated for the first time as an exhibitor at the recent Cape Town Book Fair that was held in Cape Town from 13-16 June 2009. The opportunity was used to market, network and expand ACCORD’s publications dissemination. Copies of eight ACCORD publications were available for distribution at the Fair.
TfP/ACCORD hosted Mr Jaume Guardans from the EuropeAid Cooperation Office in Durban, South Africa on 12 June 2009. Mr Guardans has been working on the African Union (AU) – European Union (EU) capacity-building project, and specifically, as part of a team that is assisting the AU in conducting a civilian training needs analysis project for the ASF.
The Training for Peace (TFP) Programme at ACCORD conducted a Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the African Union - United Nations Hybrid Operations in Darfur (UNAMID) from 3-5 June 2009 in Kampala, Uganda. The course was attended by twenty-four (24) participants predominantly from the Civil Affairs Section of UNAMID.
As part of ACCORD’s peace building work in Burundi ACCORD has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Government of Republic of Burundi which aims to support the establishment of an Office for Strategic Studies and Development (OSSD) in the Office of the President of Burundi.
On 10 -12 June 2009 Professor Thomas Ohlson and Stina Hoglund from the Department of Peace and Conflict Research at Uppsala University, Sweden, visited ACCORD House. Their visit formed part of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that ACCORD and the Department have entered into which aims to enhance ACCORD’s research capacity while ACCORD will provide its expertise on conflict management experience to the Department.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, attended the World Economic Forum (WEF) on Africa that was held in Cape Town from 10-12 June 2009. WEF brings together the key individuals from all levels of society and offers important discussion, information sharing and networking opportunities. The theme for this year’s summit was “Implications of the Global Economic Crisis for Africa”.
The founder and Executive director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at a conference entitled “Making the difference: Strengthening capacities to respond to crises and security threats” which was hosted by the European Union (EU) in Brussels on 03 and 04 June 2009. Every two years the EU brings together policy makers and practitioners in conflict prevention and crisis response from the international community to examine and learn from responses to crises and security threats.
On 1 June 2009, the new South African Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates, H.E. Ambassador Abba Omar, visited ACCORD House. Ambassador Omar was the former South African Ambassador to Oman. In 2006 Ambassador Omar hosted Vasu Gounden (Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD) when he visited Oman to conduct a conflict management and leadership training at the American British Academy (ABA) based in Muscat, Oman.
- ACCORD participates in APSTA – European Group On Training (EGT) consultative workshop
- TFP/ACCORD visits UN headquarters in New York
- ACCORD hosts Civil Military Relations Guidance Development Workshop in Uganda
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Africa CIMIC Directive Review Workshop
- African Alliance for Peace (AfAP) Observer Mission
- ACCORD conducts CPPC course for civilian component of SADC Standby Force
- ACCORD conducts peacebuilding training in DRC
- Vasu Gounden invited to 2009 African Mediators Retreat
- ACCORD publishes coexistence report
- ACCORD attend IEC SA elections briefing
- ACCORD at DDP political party debate over SA elections
- ACCORD hosts 1st AGM of Association of Security Sector Education & Training
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Exercise AMANI Africa Planning Meeting
- Events to promote launch of Coexistence Report
- Gounden poem included in Footprint series book
- ACCORD presents at 'HIV/AIDS and the military' conference in Uganda
- ACCORD attends HSRC Xenophobia workshop
- TFP/ACCORD participates AU–EU Training Needs & Capabilities Workshop
- ACCORD and Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs host mediation seminar in Addis Ababa
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Mediation in Africa Seminar