On Friday,18 May 2007, the Project Director from Freedom House Southern Africa, Vukasin Petrovic, and Helen Barnes (their Senior Programme Officer) visited ACCORD House where they met with ACCORD staff headed by the Deputy Director of ACCORD, Jerome Sachane.
ACCORD Associate, Nicholas (Fink) Haysom was appointed Director of Political Affairs for United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on 17 May 2007. ACCORD has worked with Fink over many years, including having him serve as an advisor to our Constitutionalism Programme, and more recently in March 2006 when a delegation of senior Iraqi Parliamentarians visited ACCORD House as part of a study tour of South Africa.
Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow at ACCORD, will be co-facilitating an UN OCHA Humanitarian Civil-Military Coordination (UN-CMCoord) Course from 22-24 May in Starum, Norway. The UN CMCoord Course is aimed at familiarising representatives from the humanitarian and military community with UN humanitarian policies on civil-military coordination.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the United Nations’ ‘Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People’, to be a resource person at the United Nations’ ‘Public Forum in Support of Israeli-Palestinian Peace’, which was held at the University of Pretoria, in South Africa on 11 May.
On 7 and 8 May the Director of Operations from the Centre for Peace Initiatives in Africa (CPIA), Rev. Max Chigwida, visited ACCORD House accompanied by Petronella Mapfiro, the CPIA’s Culture of Peace Programme Officer and Executive Assistant.
On 8 May 2007, Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, will deliver a presentation on “the Future of Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy’s New Issues in Security Course (NISC).
Vasu Gounden, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD was in Burundi from the 11-14 May and again from the 16-18 May, where he had meetings with various role players, including President Nkurunziza, related to ACCORD’s ongoing post conflict reconstruction activities in Burundi.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will host a Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) in Pretoria, South Africa, from 21-25 May. The course will involve approximately 25 participants selected from across the continent, and is a key component of the TfP. It aims to prepare experienced civilians, working in various relevant fields of expertise in Africa, for service in peacekeeping and peace building missions.
On 8 May ACCORD hosted its inaugural trustees’ EXCOM Meeting at ACCORD House. At the ACCORD Board of Trustees Meeting held on 30 November 2006, the Board approved the creation of the EXCOM, which will meet twice a year.
On Sunday, 6 May the 3rd Annual Mahatma Gandhi Salt March was held in Durban. The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, who is a trustee of the Gandhi Development Trust, was invited to be the co-director of programmes for the event. The 22km march began at the Phoenix Settlement in Inanda and ended at Battery Beach in Durban, where Gandhi’s ashes were immersed into the sea.
ACCORD recently ran a conflict management training for diplomatic cadets at the Congolese Diplomatic Academy of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The training was run over four days from 26-29 April, and focused on conflict analysis, negotiation and mediation, and strategy design.
- ACCORD hosts opposing Sri Lankan groups
- ACCORD director visits Holland and Finland to speak on African conflict management
- Gounden attends ANC’s thinktank on international relations
- SA and Swedish police services visit ACCORD
- ACCORD to attend APSTA Training Support and Coordination workshop
- ACCORD to host dialogue session on conflict analysis and peace building in Angola
- Gounden presents at seminar on broader cooperation between South Africa and Sweden
- ACCORD, DFA & Canadian High Commission host round table on international peace and security
- Canadian High Commissioner visits ACCORD
- US Ambassador visits ACCORD
- AU African Standby Force Technical Experts Task Team Meeting, Addis Ababa
- Coordinated Approaches to Security, Development and Peacemaking
- ACCORD participates in UPEACE Africa Programme consultative meeting
- G8+ Africa Clearing House
- ACCORD participates in seminar on challenges of peacekeeping training in Africa
- Preparing the South African Army for future peace missions
- Gounden to assist South African Foreign Service Training Institute to examine diplomatic practice
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers (IAPTC) Executive Committee Meeting
- DPKO Peacekeeping Doctrine Workshop
- 2nd Annual Peacekeeping, Stability and Developmental Operations Africa 2007 Conference