Major General JN Mutwii, Deputy Commander of the Kenyan Army, presented CIMIC certificates to 35 participants who had successful completed the third East African CIMIC course. The course was hosted by the Peace Support Training Centre (PSTC), GTZ and ACCORD, as part of the Finnish-funded African Civil-Military Coordination (ACMC) programme, from 4-15 September 2006 in Nairobi, Kenya.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme has conducted a Specialisation Course in Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR), from 18-22 September 2006. This was the second course in the Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) series that ACCORD has organised for 2006.
The African Union (AU) is hosting a Technical Experts Workshop, focussing on the Civilian Dimension of the African Standby Force (ASF), at the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Center (KAIPTC) from 29 August-1 September 2006 in Accra, Ghana.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will conduct a Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC), focusing on Mission Preparedness for a total 25 participants selected from all over Africa. The course will be held in Pretoria, South Africa from 7-18 August 2006, and aims to serve as the foundation course for civilians interested in serving in a variety of roles in United Nations (UN) or African peacekeeping or peacebuilding operations.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme was invited by the Kenya Peace Support Training Centre (KPSTC) to participate in their sixth United Nations (UN) Civilian Police training course. The training, conducted over a three week period, was held in Karen, Nairobi and the TfP Programme conducted the modules on conflict analysis, negotiation and mediation on 26 June 2006.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Senior Programme Officer, Mrs Karishma Rajoo, participated in the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) Training Development Workshop on Gender Equality in Peacekeeping in Windhoek, Namibia, from 30 June-4 July.
ACCORD’s Angola Country Programme, Building Peace and Democracy in Angola: Enhancing Capacity for Managing Conflict, will host a conflict management and mediation training in Luanda, Angola, from 16-20 October 2006. This activity is part of the overall objective of the Programme to build the capacity of civil society to respond to conflict.
ACCORD and the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) are jointly hosting the 62nd UN Civil-Military Coordination (UN CMCoord) Course in Stellenbosch, South Africa, from 21-25 August 2006. This course is aimed at strengthening the capacity of various governments, NGOs and UN Agencies in the southern African region to respond to natural disasters, and focuses on the appropriate use of military and civil defence assets in support of humanitarian action.
On Saturday 17 June 2006 ACCORD’s Burundi Programme staff participated in a ‘Walk for Refugees’ in Bujumbura, Burundi. This walk was organized by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Bujumbura, Burundi to create awareness regarding refugees. Following democratic elections in 2005, Burundian refugees are returning to Burundi with hope of a new life.
The ACCORD Burundi office will be hosting a consultative workshop on the United Nation’s Peace Building Commission (UNPBC) with a selection of civil society organisations (CSO’s) in Bujumbura, Burundi on 22 July 2006. The PBC is the first body in the UN’s 60 year history to focus on peace-building and conflict prevention, and was established to address a critical gap within the United Nations and the global system
ACCORD’s Research Unit will host an experts’ workshop on ‘Peace Agreements in Southern Africa’ from 3-5 May 2006 at the Burgers Park Hotel, Pretoria. The workshop will host peace processes facilitators and mediators as well as diplomats, scholars, researchers, and policy makers. Institutions represented will range from governments, academic institutions to civil society organisations.
- Gounden's speech at the 2006 Africa Peace Award
- Burundi wins 2006 Africa Peace Award
- ACCORD wins Tombouctou Award
- Swedish consultation on poverty and regional cooperation
- Training for Angolan electoral stakeholders
- “Peacekeeping - Peacebuilding: Preparing for the Future” conference
- ACCORD training in Civil-Military Coordination
- Interrogating theories of transitional frameworks
- Privatized military operations study
- African Peace Support Trainers Association launches new website
- ACCORD joins international disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration training group
- ACCORD conducts international trade negotiation workshop in Botswana
- Black intelligencia at the Natives Club
- Civil-Military Coordination training in Sudan
- ACCORD participates in UPEACE conflict prevention, management & resolution course
- Gounden attends Sri Lankan peace seminar
- ACCORD re-launches Occasional Paper Series
- ACCORD at in ‘Peacekeeping, Reconstruction & Stability Operations in Africa’ conference
- ACCORD to host Swedish development conference
- ACCORD trains military observers in Kenya