On 27 and 28 February ACCORD Senior Researcher, Richard Kamidza, will participate in the “Africa Round Table on Investment in Africa” focusing on the role of South Africa’s corporates in host countries. Mr. Kamidza is expected to present a paper on “South Africa: A Willing Hegemony?”
From 22 -23 February Vasu Gounden, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, participated in a scenarios workshop hosted by the South African Presidency.
The Angola Country Programme at ACCORD will be hosting a conflict management training for twenty community leadership representative in the province of Huambo from 13 - 15 February 2007. The objectives of the training are to provide community leaders with the necessary skills to resolve conflict at a community level, and to enhance their leadership skills.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, has been invited to be the key note speaker at the 4th Annual Sub Saharan African Policy & Defence Relations Seminar, which will be held in Cape Town from the 5-8 February. The seminar is hosted by the British Ministry of Defence.
Between January and June 2006, ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme assisted the Peace Support Operations Division of the African Union (AU-PSOD) in formulating a project document entitled a ‘Draft Framework for the Civilian Dimensions of the African Standby Force (ASF)’.
Mr. Richard Kamidza, Senior Researcher at ACCORD, will participate in the World Social Forum (WSF) events being organized by the Economic Justice Network (EJN) of the Fellowship of Christian Councils of Southern Africa (FOCCISA) from 20 January 2007.
On 26 February Vasu Gounden, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, has been invited to address the annual gathering of the Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Regional Technical Advisors for peace building. Every year the CRS’ peace building regional technical advisors meet to share experiences, to analyse trends in the field of peace building, to explore new approaches and tools, and to improve their own internal communication and collaboration.
ACCORD’s Angola Country Programme will be hosting an advanced conflict management training for civil society in the province of Huambo from 6 -10 February 2007. Participants attending the course have been selected from the provinces of Huambo, Bié, Huila, and Cuenene.
The United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations has organised a strategy workshop with women’s constituencies from troop and police contributing countries. The workshop takes place from 7-9 February 2007 in Pretoria, South Africa.
The latest edition of International Peacekeeping: The Yearbook of International Peace Operations (Vol II, 2007, Koninklijke Brill N.V.) contains a chapter by Cedric de Coning, ACCORD Research Fellow, on ‘Civil-Military Coordination and UN Peacebuilding Operations’.
From 28-30 November 2006 the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) Burundi Programme conducted a basic conflict management and family law training for 20 representatives from a local Burundi coalition of youth organizations called CPAJ.
- Gounden gives South perspective on Swedish Policy for Global Development
- ACCORD conducts training for SADC RPTC
- Oslo seminar on good governance in the Horn and South Africa
- Lecture on 'The Dynamics of Conflict and Peace Systems in Africa'
- UNMIS CML/AMIS CIMIC course programme
- ACCORD participates in African Feminist Forum, Ghana
- ACCORD participates in executive course in management of multinational peace missions
- “Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy
- ‘The Future of Peacekeeping in Africa’ at the 8th Annual Seminar on Military Power
- Gounden to visit US
- Sunset on the Jordan Valley
- ACCORD Participates in ‘The Role of Leading Edge NGOs in the Next Decade’ Workshop
- ACCORD Participates in ‘Mo Ibrahim Foundation’ Launch and Roundtable Discussion
- Gounden in Amman to speak at UN International Leadership Institute
- Gounden to train diplomats at SA Foreign Service Institute
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres conference
- 35 graduate at third East African CIMIC course
- ACCORD conducts DDR Specialisation course
- Conflict management and mediation training in Angola
- The civilian dimension of the African Standby Force: Technical Experts Workshop