On 8 May 2007, Cedric de Coning, a Research Fellow with ACCORD’s Peace Operations Unit, will deliver a presentation on “the Future of Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy’s New Issues in Security Course (NISC).
ACCORD recently ran a conflict management training for diplomatic cadets at the Congolese Diplomatic Academy of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The training was run over four days from 26-29 April, and focused on conflict analysis, negotiation and mediation, and strategy design.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the National Committee for International Cooperation and Sustainable Development (NCDO), who are based in Amsterdam, to be a resource person at the Dutch Africa Day, which was held on 14 April in The Hague.
On Sunday, 22 April, a delegation from the South Africa Police Services, lead by the Deputy National Commissioner of Police, Ms Mala Singh, along with representatives from the Swedish Police Services and a representative from the Swedish Embassy in Pretoria, visited ACCORD House where they met with the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Mr. Vasu Gounden.
The Angola Country Programme at ACCORD will be hosting a three day dialogue session for sixteen conflict resolution experts and practitioners in Luanda, Angola from 2-4 May 2007.
ACCORD, in partnership with the Canadian High Commission in South Africa and the South African Department of Foreign Affairs, will host a one day roundtable discussion on “The relationship between the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and Regional Organisations, in particular the Africa Union, in the maintenance of international peace and security”.
On Thursday, 26 April and Friday 27 April ACCORD hosted separate visits from parties from both sides to the conflict in Sri Lanka.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to attend the ANC’s International Relations Subcommittee Sectoral Workshop, which was held in Tshwane on 20 and 21 April.
Ms. Yvonne Kasumba, Senior Programme Officer for ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme, will participate in a “Peacekeeping Training Support and Coordination” workshop in Addis Ababa from 24-26 April, hosted by the African Peace Support Training Association (APSTA).
On 19 April, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Swedish Embassy in Pretoria to present at a one-day planning seminar on broader cooperation between South Africa and Sweden, in Gauteng. Since the end of the 1990’s South Africa and Sweden have been developing a broader cooperation based on mutual interests and shared responsibilities in a number of areas and sectors.
The Canadian High Commissioner to South Africa, Ms Ruth Archibald, along with Mr. Andras Vamos-Goldman, Political Councilor at the Canadian High Commission in Pretoria, visited ACCORD House on Tuesday, 10 April. This was the first visit to ACCORD by High Commissioner Archibald.
- US Ambassador visits ACCORD
- AU African Standby Force Technical Experts Task Team Meeting, Addis Ababa
- Coordinated Approaches to Security, Development and Peacemaking
- ACCORD participates in UPEACE Africa Programme consultative meeting
- G8+ Africa Clearing House
- ACCORD participates in seminar on challenges of peacekeeping training in Africa
- Preparing the South African Army for future peace missions
- Gounden to assist South African Foreign Service Training Institute to examine diplomatic practice
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers (IAPTC) Executive Committee Meeting
- DPKO Peacekeeping Doctrine Workshop
- 2nd Annual Peacekeeping, Stability and Developmental Operations Africa 2007 Conference
- ACCORD and partners to launch African Alliance for Peace-Building
- Indian Consul visits ACCORD
- Conflict management for peacekeepers
- ACCORD participates in Swedish security sector reform meeting
- Peace Operations in Africa
- Kamidza to speak at round table on investment in Africa
- Gounden participates in SA Presidency future scenarios exercise
- Gounden to address Catholic Relief Services
- Conflict Management Training for community leadership in Angola