The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was recently invited by the Dutch United Nations Student Association Utrecht (DUNSA-Utrecht), to be the Keynote speaker at their conference on international conflicts, entitled ‘A Struggle for Peace’. The conference was organized by DUNSA, in collaboration with the Netherlands United Nations Association (NVVN).
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the British High Commission to South Africa, The Rt Honourable Paul Boateng, to attended a reception to mark Her Majesty The Queen’s Birthday. The reception was held on 1 June in Pretoria and coincided with Prime Minister Tony Blair’s visit to South Africa.
ACCORD celebrated Africa Day, 25 May 2007, with a short symbolic ceremony on the Bluff Headland in Durban, future site for the Africa Peace Centre (APC), a NEPAD approved project. ACCORD's current five year vision (2007-2012) is focused on "Encouraging and consolidating dialogue towards the prevention, management and transformation of conflict" with the aim of affecting a paradigm shift towards dialogue.
A two-day dialogue session with the theme ‘Conflict Analysis and Peace Building in Angola’ was successfully hosted by ACCORD’s Angola Country programme from 2-3 May 2007 in Luanda, Angola.
ACCORD Associate, Nicholas (Fink) Haysom was appointed Director of Political Affairs for United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on 17 May 2007. ACCORD has worked with Fink over many years, including having him serve as an advisor to our Constitutionalism Programme, and more recently in March 2006 when a delegation of senior Iraqi Parliamentarians visited ACCORD House as part of a study tour of South Africa.
Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow at ACCORD, will be co-facilitating an UN OCHA Humanitarian Civil-Military Coordination (UN-CMCoord) Course from 22-24 May in Starum, Norway. The UN CMCoord Course is aimed at familiarising representatives from the humanitarian and military community with UN humanitarian policies on civil-military coordination.
Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow at ACCORD, has been invited to present the main findings of the book - Unintended Consequences of Peacekeeping - which he co-edited with Chiyuki Aoi and Ramesh Thakur, at the 9th Workshop of the Norwegian Atlantic Committee regarding civil-military cooperation on Friday 8 June, in Oslo, Norway.
On Wednesday, 23 May 2007, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Mr. Vasu Gounden, welcomed Mr. Steven Uhlfelder, the Chairman of the Fulbright Foreign Scholarships Board (FSB), to ACCORD House. Accompanying Mr. Uhlfelder was the United States Consul General in Durban, Mr. Eugene Young and Ms Lucy Hoffman, the Coordinator of Fulbright Programmes at the United States Embassy in Pretoria.
On Friday,18 May 2007, the Project Director from Freedom House Southern Africa, Vukasin Petrovic, and Helen Barnes (their Senior Programme Officer) visited ACCORD House where they met with ACCORD staff headed by the Deputy Director of ACCORD, Jerome Sachane.
Vasu Gounden, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD was in Burundi from the 11-14 May and again from the 16-18 May, where he had meetings with various role players, including President Nkurunziza, related to ACCORD’s ongoing post conflict reconstruction activities in Burundi.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will host a Civilian Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding Course (CPPC) in Pretoria, South Africa, from 21-25 May. The course will involve approximately 25 participants selected from across the continent, and is a key component of the TfP. It aims to prepare experienced civilians, working in various relevant fields of expertise in Africa, for service in peacekeeping and peace building missions.
- Gounden talks on Palestine question at UN forum
- ACCORD hosts inaugural EXCOM meeting
- Zimbabwe-based CPIA visit ACCORD
- Gounden helps direct commemorative Ghandi Salt March
- Peace Operations in Africa presentation
- ACCORD trains DRC diplomats
- ACCORD hosts opposing Sri Lankan groups
- ACCORD director visits Holland and Finland to speak on African conflict management
- Gounden attends ANC’s thinktank on international relations
- SA and Swedish police services visit ACCORD
- ACCORD to attend APSTA Training Support and Coordination workshop
- ACCORD to host dialogue session on conflict analysis and peace building in Angola
- Gounden presents at seminar on broader cooperation between South Africa and Sweden
- ACCORD, DFA & Canadian High Commission host round table on international peace and security
- Canadian High Commissioner visits ACCORD
- US Ambassador visits ACCORD
- AU African Standby Force Technical Experts Task Team Meeting, Addis Ababa
- Coordinated Approaches to Security, Development and Peacemaking
- ACCORD participates in UPEACE Africa Programme consultative meeting
- G8+ Africa Clearing House