The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) and the African Union (AU) collaborated to produce the AU Mediation Support Handbook. The recently published handbook is a general reference and field study guide for mediation teams and lead mediators deployed on AU mediation missions. With mediation in Africa having moved from an ad hoc intervention to a more institutionalised approach, there is a need for further training, information gathering and dissemination, as well as strategy guidance, as covered in the handbook.
The latest publication by the African Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) articulates information and ideas generated from the proceedings of the Fourth African Union (AU) High-Level Retreat on the Promotion of Peace, Security and Stability in Africa, which was held in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, on 29 and 30 October 2013 under the theme '50 Years of peacemaking in Africa: A critical retrospective of OAU/AU peacemaking'.
ACCORD was represented in the African-European Parliamentary Dialogue on Migration and Development which was co-hosted by the Association of European Parliamentarians with Africa (AWEPA) and the Graça Machel Trust. The meeting was held on 2 and 3 October 2014 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Departing from the premise that human migration is complex, the reasons for human movement are varied, and we live in an era of unprecedented mobility of persons in ever increasing numbers, the two-day event sought to uncover the positive aspects of migration, as opposed to the overtly negative and xenophobic labels tagged on immigration and migrants.
ACCORD recently partnered with the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to provide training aimed at empowering women mediators from Sudan and South Sudan. A total of 20 Sudanese and South Sudanese women participated in the five-day training, which focused on ensuring the inclusion of women in peace processes for IGAD taskforces.
From 2 to 4 September 2014, the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD), was represented in the Experts Consultation on Reconciliation as a Mechanism for Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding, hosted by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Johannesburg, South Africa. The consultation, which was organised around the theme 'Reconciliation as a mechanism for conflict prevention and peacebuilding', brought together a large number of international civil society actors, as well as representatives of different United Nations (UN) bodies and agencies.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Programme has since 1995 contributed to the building of sustainable African civilian and police capacities for peace operations in Africa, encompassing a focus on training, rostering, policy support and applied research. In March 2013, a TfP Research Network was created to promote greater cooperation and collaboration in research on issues of common interest amongst TfP Partners. As part of the TfP Research Network, TfP/ACCORD participated in a field study on "Policing in Peace Operations in Africa: the case of UNAMID".
ACCORD has contributed to the Inaugural Meeting of the Panel of the Wise (PW) by leading an interactive session on conflict trends in Africa. The Meeting, which took place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from 16-17 September, was organised by the African Union Commission (AUC) and brought together the Incoming and Outgoing Members of the PW, representatives from the United Nations Office to the African Union (UNOAU) as well as peacemaking experts and scholars.
As part of its work on religion and conflict, ACCORD was recently represented at the Community of Sant'Egidio's peace conference, which took place from 7 to 9 September 2014 in Belgium.
In view of the upcoming 2015 elections in Burundi, and as continuation of the country's commitment to ensuring peaceful elections, ACCORD's Burundi Initiative and Training Unit has delivered two training workshops on the management of elections-related disputes for youth wings leaders of all registered political parties in Burundi's towns of Gitega and Ngozi.
On 18 and 19 August 2014, the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) was represented at a validation workshop on the Draft African Transitional Justice Policy Framework (ATJPF) held in Johannesburg, South Africa. The workshop was the final event in a series of consultations to review the draft ATJPF, a document which seeks to fill an identified normative gap in terms of a comprehensive continental policy on the responsibilities, obligations and actions of African Union (AU) member states vis-à-vis issues surrounding transitional justice.
In close partnership with ACCORD, the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) have organised a Training of Trainers (ToT) Course in International Humanitarian Law (IHL) for Somali National Army (SNA) Officers held in Kampala, Uganda, from 19-28 August 2014. The training was designed to provide understanding and compliance with IHL and International Human Rights Law (IHRL) within the Somali National Army.
- ACCORD publishes brief on Common African Position on the Post-2015 Development Agenda ahead of UN General Assembly meetings
- ACCORD trains SADC military, police and civilians in mediation, negotiation and gender in peace support operations
- ACCORD receives the Mahatma Gandhi International Award for Reconciliation and Peace
- ACCORD partners with UN Peacebuilding Fund for workshop on Political Nature of Peacebuilding
- ACCORD conducts Electoral Alternate Dispute Resolution workshop with the Electoral Commissioners Forum (ECF) of SADC
- ACCORD Celebrates Nelson Mandela Day by contributing to Abalindi Welfare Society
- TfP/ACCORD train UNMISS civil affairs officers on conflict analysis and reporting
- TfP/ACCORD serve as panelists at peace operations workshop in Malawi
- ACCORD co-hosts 4th International Africa Peace and Conflict Resolution conference in partnership with the Centre for African Peace and Conflict Resolution
- ACCORD facilitates key COMESA forum meetings in Seychelles
- ACCORD/TFP take part in 20th IAPTC annual conference and host training methodologies bilateral meeting
- ACCORD participate in Peace Capacities Network 2014 annual meeting in Istanbul
- TfP ACCORD participates in European Union Police Service Training – Exercise LOWLANDS GRENADE
- ACCORD participates in launch and Implementation Workshop of AU Gender, Peace and Security Programme
- Official visit to ACCORD by Minister of Communication and National Reconciliation of Central African Republic
- ACCORD takes part in workshop on regional and national statistical capacities for measuring peace, rule of law and governance
- ACCORD trains key Liberian peacebuilding actors in peacebuilding skills and project management
- ACCORD’s Vasu Gounden presents Perspectives of African Non-state Actors during 10th Anniversary Celebrations of the African Union Peace and Security Council in Addis Ababa
- ACCORD participates in African Union mediation support capacity strategy meeting in Addis Ababa
- ACCORD’s Peacebuilding Unit conduct research trip to better understand dynamics at play in South Sudan