The United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations has organised a strategy workshop with women’s constituencies from troop and police contributing countries. The workshop takes place from 7-9 February 2007 in Pretoria, South Africa.
Between January and June 2006, ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme assisted the Peace Support Operations Division of the African Union (AU-PSOD) in formulating a project document entitled a ‘Draft Framework for the Civilian Dimensions of the African Standby Force (ASF)’.
Mr. Richard Kamidza, Senior Researcher at ACCORD, will participate in the World Social Forum (WSF) events being organized by the Economic Justice Network (EJN) of the Fellowship of Christian Councils of Southern Africa (FOCCISA) from 20 January 2007.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, has been invited by the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be a resource person at a roundtable discussion entitled “Policy Coherence in the Real World,” that they will be holding tomorrow, 12 December 2006, in Stockholm. The aim of the meeting is to broaden the understanding of the new Swedish policy for global development.
On 18 November 2006, Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow in ACCORD's Peace and Security Unit, delivered two presentations on "Complex Peace Building Systems" and "South Africa: Challenges Ahead," respectively, at a seminar on Good Governance in the Horn and South Africa, organised by the Labour Party of the Greater Oslo Area. The seminar took place at Martymer in Oslo, Norway.
ACCORD’s African Civil Military Coordination Programme (ACMC) will conduct a Civil Military Coordination (CIMIC) course in Khartoum, Sudan, from 20-23 November 2006. This will be an in-mission training course for the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS). In order to strengthen the collaboration between the two peacekeeping missions, the training will also include participants from the African Union Mission in Sudan (AMIS).
The latest edition of International Peacekeeping: The Yearbook of International Peace Operations (Vol II, 2007, Koninklijke Brill N.V.) contains a chapter by Cedric de Coning, ACCORD Research Fellow, on ‘Civil-Military Coordination and UN Peacebuilding Operations’.
From 28-30 November 2006 the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) Burundi Programme conducted a basic conflict management and family law training for 20 representatives from a local Burundi coalition of youth organizations called CPAJ.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace (TfP) Programme will provide training support to the Peace Support Operations (PSO) Course coordinated by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Regional Peace Training Centre (RPTC). The course is scheduled from 13-24 November 2006 at the SADC RPTC in Harare, Zimbabwe.
On 17 November 2006, Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow in ACCORD's Peace and Security Unit, delivered a lecture on “The Dynamics of Conflict and Peace Systems in Africa” at Bjørknes College in Oslo, Norway. The lecture was part of the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) and University of Stellenbosch’s joint masters degree programme in International Studies.
ACCORD’s Programmes’ Co-ordinator, Ms. Pravina Makan-Lakha, has been invited to attend the African Feminist Forum Meeting in ACCRA, Ghana from 15-19 November. The meeting will be a historical gathering of African thinkers, practitioners and activists in the gender field. ACCORD has been involved in the gender mainstreaming process on the continent for the past few years, and has recently launched a “Women in Conflict” Project.
- ACCORD participates in executive course in management of multinational peace missions
- “Peace Operations in Africa” at the Geneva Center for Security Policy
- ‘The Future of Peacekeeping in Africa’ at the 8th Annual Seminar on Military Power
- Gounden to visit US
- Sunset on the Jordan Valley
- ACCORD Participates in ‘The Role of Leading Edge NGOs in the Next Decade’ Workshop
- ACCORD Participates in ‘Mo Ibrahim Foundation’ Launch and Roundtable Discussion
- Gounden in Amman to speak at UN International Leadership Institute
- Gounden to train diplomats at SA Foreign Service Institute
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres conference
- 35 graduate at third East African CIMIC course
- ACCORD conducts DDR Specialisation course
- Conflict management and mediation training in Angola
- The civilian dimension of the African Standby Force: Technical Experts Workshop
- 62nd United Nations Civil-Military Coordination Course
- ACCORD conducts civilian peacekeeping and peacebuilding mission preparedness course
- ACCORD Burundi participates in ‘Walk for Refugees’
- ACCORD TfP Programme conducts conflict management training for KPSTC
- Consultation on UN Peacebuilding Commission in Burundi
- ACCORD participates in DPKO gender training development workshop