In fulfilling its objective of providing support to the Africa Standby Force (ASF) and the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and Regional Mechanisms in Africa through policy development, the Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) participated in a validation workshop hosted by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Standby Force (ESF).
The Training for Peace in Africa (TfP) Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) was invited to participate and contribute in a workshop organised by the civilian component of Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) Standby Force, the Force Multinationale de l'Afrique Centrale (FOMAC) in French.
The ACCORD Great Lakes Project (GLP), in collaboration with the DRC National Coordination Office of the International Conference on the Great Lakes (ICGLR), has conducted a Regional Peacebuilding Training in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
In order to raise awareness about long-term peacebuilding processes, simulate dynamic conflict environments in order to learn about the effects of policies or interventions, and to simulate adaptive decision-making, the Peacebuilding Unit at ACCORD is part of a consortium of institutions working together to develop an innovative online peacebuilding computer game. This e-learning opportunity will contribute to higher learning in peacebuilding on both strategic and tactical levels.
In order to strengthen the institutional and organisational capacity for building peace, security, and gender equality across Africa, ACCORD attended a workshop hosted by the Centre for Conflict Resolution (CCR). The workshop created a space for participants to gain a better understanding of patriarchy, gender socialisation, and their effects on women and men, and how to address these both generally and in each of our institutions.
Between 14 and 15 May 2014, ACCORD hosted a two-day consultative meeting in Gaborone, Botswana, bringing together Southern African non-state actors ahead of the 10th anniversary of the African Union Peace and Security Council (PSC). Titled Southern Africa Consultation on the Occasion of the 10th Anniversary of the Peace and Security Council, the meeting was attended by 36 delegates hailing from 11 out of the 15 Southern African Development Community (SADC) member states, including representatives of civil society organisations (CSOs), think tanks, academic and research institutions, the media, as well as governments and multilateral African organisations, namely SADC and the African Union (AU). Findings and recommendations stemming from this consultation will feed into a submission of 'Perspectives of African Non-state Actors on the Work of the PSC' to be presented to the Council on Africa Day, 25 May 2014.
ACCORD, through its Peacemaking Unit, has provided technical support to a two-day joint solidarity mission to the Central African Republic (CAR). The mission, which was co-led by Mme Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, UN Under-Secretary General and Executive Director of UN Women, Mme Bineta Diop, Special Envoy of the AU on Women, Peace and Security, and Ambassador Adolphe Nahayo, ECCAS representative in CAR; aimed at drawing the attention of the international community to the situation of women and girls in CAR.
ACCORD Founder and Executive Director, Vasu Gounden, has addressed the 10th anniversary of the AU Peace and Security Council, in the Nelson Mandela Hall at the AU Headquarters in Addis Ababa.
The last issue of ACCORD's African Journal on Conflict Resolution (AJCR) of 2013 (Vol 13, No 3) was a special one on the theme Then and now: Perspectives on conflict resolution in South Africa (in honour of H.W. van der Merwe). It was launched at a small but very inspiring function held at the Quaker Peace Centre in Cape Town, South Africa on 13 May 2014. ACCORD was represented by Mr Jerome Sachane, Deputy Director, and senior researchers, Dr Candice Moore and Prof Jannie Malan. Prof Malan is also managing editor of the AJCR.
To support South-South cooperation in overcoming the challenges faced by fragile and conflict-afflicted states, ACCORD has been in continual support of the g7+. Strengthening the capacities for building resilience in countries currently on lower levels of a fragility spectrum is of utmost importance to supporting these nations in the achievement of Peace and Security Goals (PSGs) and Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
In the context of the 20th anniversary of peace in South Africa, which coincides with the country's fifth multiparty elections, ACCORD invited aspiring young African leaders to the country as election observers to the elections taking place, additionally training these individuals in conflict management.
- ACCORD hosts 9th Mediation Support Network Meeting in Durban
- ACCORD hosts training workshop for ECCAS mediation experts in Durban
- African Journal on Conflict Resolution Special Issue Launch
- African Union high level retreat at ACCORD
- ACCORD partners with Liberian Peacebuilding Office to implement Peace and Reconciliation Roadmap
- ACCORD attends TfP AGM and ECOWAS meetings in 2014
- TfP/ACCORD participates in fourth AMISOM lessons learnt conference
- ACCORD supports development of increased coherence within peacebuilding policy community
- Latest ACCORD Policy & Practice Brief provides recommendations for external peacebuilders on contributing to resilience
- ACCORD and partners launch Durban Leadership Initiative
- ACCORD support sustainability of peacebuilding projects in final African Peacebuilding Coordination Network Training in Juba
- ACCORD seminar focuses on alternate dispute resolution in run up to 4th International Africa Peace and Conflict Resolution Conference
- Application for International Training Programme on Peace and Security in Africa 2014 - 2015
- Application for International Training Programme on Peace and Security in Africa 2015 - 2016
- TfP ACCORD evaluates its Collaborative Conflict Management Training Package for UNMISS
- TfP/ACCORD conduct AMISOM Gender Mainstreaming Strategy Workshop for the development of mission-specific strategy with AU Commission
- TfP/ACCORD conduct AMISOM Protection of Civilians Strategy Implementation Plan Workshop in collaboration with AU Commission
- ACCORD participates in GPPAC International Steering Group meeting
- ACCORD publishes paper examining successes and challenge of South Africa's mediation efforts in Zimbabwe
- ACCORD Brief discusses how South Sudan can achieve reconciliation without regret