ACCORD has organised a briefing session entitled "Somalia Briefing: Perspectives from the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM)" - led by Ambassador Mahamat Saleh Annadif, the Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission (SRCC) for Somalia and Head of Mission. The briefing session included reflections on AMISOM's work thus far in Somalia, highlighted the areas of priority assistance to the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), and provided insights on the political and security situation in the country.
From 26-27 June 2013, ACCORD's peacebuilding Unit, through its main programmatic engagement the African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) attended the Oxfam two day Roundtable in Nairobi, Kenya on Gender, Conflict and Masculinities: Understanding the Impact of War on Men and Gender Relations in South Sudan, Somalia and DRC.
From 9-11 July 2013, ACCORD's Peacebuilding Unit flagship program - The African Peacebuilding Coordination Program (APCP) funded by the Government of Finland - hosted 36 international participants in collaboration with the United Nations Peacebuilding Support Office (PBSO), at the 2013 Peacebuilding Fund Workshop "Programming for Peacebuilding," in Cape Town, South Africa.
A key role of ACCORD's Knowledge Production Department (KPD) is building the capacity of members of staff in various areas through organising and hosting internal capacity strengthening activities. In line with this mandate, KPD hosted the first Academic Writing Skills Workshop for 2013 at the Kingfisher Lodge in Durban, South Africa on 15 July 2013.
The Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) was requested by the Integrated Training Service (ITS), Division of Policy Evaluation and Training (DPET) of the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) and Department of Field Support (DFS) to attend the United Nations (UN) Training of Trainers (ToT) Course for Protection of Civilians (PoC). TfP/ACCORD's engagement on PoC pre-deployment training follows from the Programme's wider contribution to the development of the UN PoC Strategic Framework, the Draft African Union (AU) PoC Guidelines, and the mainstreaming of these guidelines into current AU and UN operations on the continent respectively.
As part of its Collaborative Conflict Management (CCM) training package developed for Civil Affairs Officers within United Nations (UN) missions, TfP/ACCORD conducted an Advanced Mediation Training Retreat for Senior Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs) of the United Nations Missions in South Sudan (UNMISS). The Advanced Mediation Retreat aims to provided 14 senior/experienced UNMISS Civil Affairs staff, with advanced techniques and approaches on mediation, and traditional conflict resolution mechanisms suitable for the South Sudan context.
ACCORD Senior Researcher, Professor Jannie Malan, has had his presentation on religion, conflict and peace extremely well received at the Oxford Round Table Conference on Religion held between 28 July and 1 August 2013 at Brasenose College in the University of Oxford, UK. The presentation, based on Malan's current research focus on the reasons why religious people cause conflict and how they can prevent and resolve the same.
ACCORD has published the outcomes from the inaugural High Level Retreat of the African Union Panel of the Wise on Strengthening Relations with Similar Regional Mechanisms in a report which is now available on the institution's website. The 60-page report provides information on the proceedings and outcomes from the high level retreat which was convened by the African Union Peace and Security Department, in collaboration with ACCORD on 4 and 5 June 2012 in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
In efforts to strengthen existing mediation-support capacity on the continent, and to enhance the capacities of African countries to effectively and peacefully resolve their own conflicts, ACCORD conducted a French Advanced Mediation Training for the African Union (AU). Bringing together fifteen participants, consisting of representatives from the AU Liaison Offices; Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and Civil Society. The training took place in Libreville, Gabon, from 29 – 31 July 2013.
As a partner institution of the Civilian Capacity (CIVCAP) Network which represents South Africa (SA), the Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) and SA government officials attended a workshop on Government Provided Personnel (GPP) in the Rule of Law area. The workshop aimed at enhancing the knowledge and understanding of the CIVCAP Network partner countries on the GPP modalities for the deployment of CIVCAP within the Rule of Law area. In addition, it also aimed to inform CivCap Network partners about the substantive gaps where the United Nations (UN) needs civilian capacities.
In fulfilling its objective of providing support to national, regional and continental frameworks as well as initiatives aimed at conflict prevention and mediation, ACCORD participated in continental consultations aimed at strengthening Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and African Union Commission (AUC) capacities and collaboration at regional level with civil society and member states in conflict prevention and mediation. These consultations took place at the AUC Headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from 24 – 25 June 2013.
- ACCORD supports strengthening of peacebuilding planning capacity via training in Liberia
- ACCORD pushes the envelope in "work integrated learning" curriculum development
- TfP-ACCORD takes part in AFDEM strategic planning workshop
- ACCORD co-hosts 6th Annual ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- ACCORD hosts TfP partners to examine communication strategy
- TfP Research Network meet in Oslo
- ACCORD focus on role of Nigerian youth in peacebuilding
- ACCORD, NPI-A and GPPAC collaborate on implementation of Great Lakes Project
- Third phase of PASA international training programme begins
- Internal staff seminar unpacks peace infrastructures
- ACCORD holds expert review of new Peacebuilding Handbook
- SSR strategies within Regional and sub-Regional Organisations key theme at ASSET 2013 AGM
- Outcome Statement: The Southern African Women Mediators Seminar
- Report examines approaches to strengthening partnerships for civilian capacities in the atermath of conflict
- ACCORD publishes first edition of ACCORD Peacebuilding Handbook
- ACCORD participates in youth forum in celebration of 50 years AU/OAU
- Global conference examines protection of civilians under international humanitarian law
- ACCORD supports the strengthening of fragile countries
- Alliance for Peacebuilding annual conference targets creative innovation in local initiatives
- Civilian Capacities Roundtable examines South Africa’s civilian roles in the aftermath of conflict