ACCORD's Peacekeeping and Peacemaking Units, in partnership with the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), held an AMISOM confidence-building workshop for the current and potential troops contributing countries (TCCs) at the Speke Resort and Conference Centre in Kampala, Uganda on 2-3 December 2009.
Mr. Karanja Mbugua, an analyst in ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit, represented ACCORD at the International Sudan Studies Conference which took place at the University of South Africa (UNISA) in Pretoria on 26 November 2009. The three-day conference was organised UNISA and its theme is The Future of Sudan to 2011 and Beyond: African Dimensions of the Peace, Stability, Justice and Reconciliation.
On 30 November 2009 ACCORD, in partnership with the Gandhi Development Trust, hosted a farewell dinner for the outgoing Indian Consul General in Durban, Mr. Harsh Vardhan Shringla. Mr. Shringla was a keen supporter of ACCORD’s work and visited ACCORD on many occasions bringing with him a variety of high profile guests.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Royal Norwegian Government to be a respondent to Mr. Gahr Stores address during a seminar on "States in fragile environments: Common engagement for conflict resolution and development", that took place on 24 November 2009 at the University of Pretoria. The seminar was part of the official programme of the State Visit of Their Majesties The King and Queen of Norway, who were in attendance at the seminar. Mr. Gounden was the only respondent on the agenda for the seminar.
On 19 November 2009 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, along with the General Manager of Corporate Affairs, Hayden Allen and the Co-ordinator of ACCORD’s African Peace building Coordination Programme (APCP), Walter Lotze, met with Mr. Conmany Wesseh, the former Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Liberia (now Ambassador Designate to Belgium/the Benelux countries and the European Union), along with Mr. Dusty Wolokolie, MP, from the Pan African Parliament (and Chairman of the House Standing Committee on Good Governance and Governance Reform in Liberia).
During the April 2009 South African national and provincial elections, following a directive from the provincial legislature, ACCORD constituted an observer mission, the African Alliance for Peace (AfAP) with African partners the Nairobi Peace Initiative (NPI) and the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP).
ACCORD's Executive Director, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at the 'Joint South African-German Training Programme for Diplomats from SADC Countries' that ran from 23 November to the 1st of December 2009. The training was organised by the diplomatic academies of the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation, and the Federal Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany.
On 27 November 2009 ACCORD hosted its second Board of Trustees Meeting for 2009 at the Melrose Arch hotel in Gauteng. A Special EXCOM Meeting was held just prior to the Board meeting.
ACCORD's Executive Director was invited as a guest speaker to address a meeting of European Union (EU) Development Councilors based in South Africa, on 19 November 2009. The invitation provided an opportunity for the Executive Director to bring to the attention of the twenty four development councilors who attended the meeting the work that ACCORD undertakes on the Continent.
ACCORD's Executive Director was invited to be a resource person at the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s diplomatic training, research and analysis conference hosted by DIRCO in Pretoria from 05-06 November 2009. The theme for the conference was “Closing the Gap Between Domestic and Foreign Policies”.
Muden, Stutterheim and Mpumalanga (KZN) Coexistence launches: 27, 31 March 2009 and 7 August 2009
As part of its thematic work on Peacebuilding in South Africa, the coexistence study publication: Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa was launched in Muden on 27 March 2009, in Stutterheim on 31 March and in Mpumalanga (KwaZulu Natal) on 7 August 2009. The objectives of the launches were to thank communities for their participation in the original and follow-up studies; for Professor Jannie Malan, Senior Researcher, to share the findings of the publications in the wider community; and to provide community members the opportunity to discuss present challenges of coexistence with ACCORD staff and an external resource person. Nearly 40 community members attended each launch.
- ACCORD hosts Joint Peacebuilding Training & Study Tour
- South African DIRCO’s diplomatic Training, Research and Analysis Conference
- ACCORD hosts exploratory dialogue forum for northern Sudan CSOs
- Exploratory Dialogue Forum for Northern Sudanese Civil Society Organisations
- ACCORD meets United States Peace Corps Director
- 'Towards a More Strategic Approach in Enhancing the AU’s Capacity in Mediation' Seminar, Ethiopia
- Mediation, Conflict Resolution, and International Politics Seminar, Finland
- UN DPKO & ACCORD working together on UN Civil Affairs Handbook
- TfP/ACCORD participate in SADC standby force field training exercise after action review workshop
- ACCORD meets former DIFID Southern Africa conflict advisor
- Conflict Management Training for Norwegian Refugee Council in Bujumbura
- TFP/ACCORD participates in SADC Standby Force field training exercise
- Sellström invited to Luthuli Museum for International Peace Day
- Gounden invited to ICCO International Conference in The Netherlands
- KPD hosts Peace Agreements Workshop in Durban
- Visit by former South African Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Aziz Pahad
- ACCORD hosts Trustee EXCOM Meeting
- ACCORD participates in African Union MAPEX
- ACCORD conducts second conflict management training for UNAMID
- ACCORD conduct election observation and mediation training in Bujumbura