Senior ACCORD Researcher, Salome Bronkhorst, was invited by OneWorld and Adelphi, supported by the German Federal Foreign Office, to present at a regional dialogue in Pretoria which focused on the interrelationship between climate change, conflict and cooperation in Southern Africa. The dialogue, held on 23 September, brought together decision makers and experts from Southern Africa as well as from Europe to address key questions related to climate change and security. In particular, the dialogue focused on identifying potential pathways for regional cooperation and benefit sharing, related to climate change and security.
ACCORD's Knowledge Production Department recently hosted another internal staff seminar – this time with Dr William Tsuma and Dr Kwesi Sansculotte-Greenidge. In their presentation to staff from ACCORD's Interventions and Knowledge Production Department, Dr Tsuma and Dr Sansculotte-Greenidge addressed the issue of integrating conflict prevention in South Sudan's post-independence transition plan. This internal staff seminar was particularly relevant as post-conflict peacebuilding in South Sudan features high on the agenda of many international actors as well as conflict management organisations, such as ACCORD.
On the 4th and 5th of September 2011, ACCORD co-hosted a 'High Level Retreat of Envoys for Peace in Africa' in partnership with the African Union (AU) and Humanitarian Dialogue (HD), in Cairo. ACCORD's Executive Director was one of the resource persons at the retreat.
In September, ACCORD will host a two-day expert seminar on the topic 'Climate change and conflict: Where to for conflict-sensitive climate change adaptation in Africa?' that will lead to a Policy & Practice Brief to be presented at COP17 in Durban in late November. ACCORD continues to conduct activities on climate and conflict, in order to highlight the need for conflict-sensitive climate change adaptation policies, practices and funding.
On 19 and 20 August 2011, the Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC) Southern Africa Regional Steering Committee Workshop met in Durban, South Africa, to discuss developments in the Southern African countries, emerging themes, and a strategic plan for the region.
On the morning of 16 August 2011, ahead of the closed Board Meeting which took place in the afternoon, ACCORD hosted a discussion forum where the Trustees of ACCORD were briefed on the current environment on the Continent by presenters that included H.E. Ambassador Riaz (Moe) Shaik, (Director-General: Foreign Branch, Department of State Security) on the topic "Current and Future Challenges in Africa"; H.E. Ambassador Welile Nhlapo (National Security Advisor to President Zuma and Special Envoy to the Great Lakes Region) focusing on the topic "Current Political Dynamics" and Dr. Lumkile Mondi (Chief Economist, IDC) focusing on the topic "Investment in Africa: Challenges and Opportunities".
Between 22 August and 2 September 2011, ACCORD held a Joint Peacebuilding Training and Study Tour to South Africa for key peacebuilding stakeholders from five African countries. The participants exchanged professional expertise and enhanced their knowledge on the topic of "Elections, Governance and Conflict" during two weeks of conferencing in Durban and Johannesburg.
In ongoing commitment to the fulfilment of UN Resolution 1325, in late August ACCORD held a mediation training for South African women in partnership with the Progressive Women's Movement of South Africa (PWMSA). The development of skilled female mediators, who are active in their communities, is a vital component of addressing conflict within our societies and ACCORD was delighted to play a role in preparing a group of specially selected women from across the country with the skills to mediate in conflict situations.
The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD)invites academics from the social sciences, practitioners, policy makers and policy researchers to submit abstracts and subsequent papers that consider issues related to climate and conflict challenges and interventions in Africa, and the development of climate change adaptation and mitigation measures that are conflict sensitive.
As part of its institutional learning and capacity-building programme, ACCORD hosted another lively Internal Staff Seminar (ISS) on 18 August 2011 at ACCORD House to engage its staff in dialogue on peacebuilding themes within current peace and security issues in Africa.
On 10-12 August 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, visited Burundi at the same time as the official visit of South African President H.E. Jacob Zuma. During the visit ACCORD signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the International Conference of the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) in order to work together to support the objectives of the ICGLR.
- From rhetoric to action: strengthening architectures for peace in South Sudan
- TfP/ACCORD participates in African Standby Force focal points planning workshop
- ACCORD to hold Joint Peacebuilding Training and Study Tour to South Africa
- Accord grants US$30,000 to support fight against sexual gender-based violence
- Gounden presents at 'Second Africa Governance, Leadership and Management Convention'
- ACCORD trains DRC peace building actors
- TfP/ACCORD represented at the Joint AU/EU experts meeting on EU support programme to African Training Centres
- Examining South Africa's membership of the United Nations Security Council
- ACCORD to provide conflict management training for forestry and natural resources academics in Francophone Africa
- ACCORD conducts high-level consultative meetings in South Sudan and signs MoU
- ACCORD attend Turkish 'Preventive Diplomacy and Mediation' Retreat
- TfP/ACCORD contributes to consultation on UN Report of the Independent Review of Civilian Capacity in the Aftermath of Conflict
- ACCORD conducts tour of Nordic countries
- Senior Research Fellow Angela Ndinga-Muvumba discusses 2011 World Bank Development Report
- South Sudan: Turning hope into reality
- ACCORD recruiting for an Environment & Conflict Research Intern
- ACCORD partners in soccer for peace
- TfP/ACCORD helps UN DPKO implement civil affairs training
- ACCORD helps AU develop strategic plan for Peace and Security Department
- ACCORD hosts training in North Sudan for Diplomatic Studies