As part of its institutional learning and capacity-building programme, ACCORD hosted another lively Internal Staff Seminar (ISS) on 18 August 2011 at ACCORD House to engage its staff in dialogue on peacebuilding themes within current peace and security issues in Africa.
On the morning of 16 August 2011, ahead of the closed Board Meeting which took place in the afternoon, ACCORD hosted a discussion forum where the Trustees of ACCORD were briefed on the current environment on the Continent by presenters that included H.E. Ambassador Riaz (Moe) Shaik, (Director-General: Foreign Branch, Department of State Security) on the topic "Current and Future Challenges in Africa"; H.E. Ambassador Welile Nhlapo (National Security Advisor to President Zuma and Special Envoy to the Great Lakes Region) focusing on the topic "Current Political Dynamics" and Dr. Lumkile Mondi (Chief Economist, IDC) focusing on the topic "Investment in Africa: Challenges and Opportunities".
ACCORD, under its Sudan Conflict Transformation Initiative, held a three-day Peacebuilding Forum in Juba, South Sudan from 10-12 August, 2011. The Forum sought to provide a platform for sharing on current and emerging issues in South Sudan, to explore avenues for coherence and collaboration amongst the various peacebuilding stakeholders, and to make recommendations on the way forward for South Sudan.
Under its African Peacebuilding Co-ordination Programme (APCP), ACCORD is holding a Joint Peacebuilding Training and Study Tour in Durban and Johannesburg between 22 August and 2 September 2011. The training event will bring together high-level peacebuilding stakeholders from Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Liberia, Sudan and South Sudan to share their experiences and gain new insights into best practices and lessons learnt regarding the topic of "Elections, Governance and Conflict".
The Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at the 'Second Africa Governance, Leadership and Management Convention', hosted by the Kenya Institute of Management and the Africa Leadership Forum from 2-5 August 2011 in Mombasa, Kenya.
Mr Zinurine Alghali, Peacekeeping Unit Senior Programme Officer, represented TfP/ACCORD at the Joint African Union (AU) /European Union (EU) Experts Workshop and contributed to the review of activities undertaken so far with regards to the implementation of the EU support programme to African Training Centres; for the African Standby Force (ASF).
On 10-12 August 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, visited Burundi at the same time as the official visit of South African President H.E. Jacob Zuma. During the visit ACCORD signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the International Conference of the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) in order to work together to support the objectives of the ICGLR.
In early August, TfP/ACCORD participated in an African Standby Force (ASF) Civilian Focal Points Planning Workshop aimed at reviewing progress achieved thus far on the development of the ASF civilian dimension at the continental and regional levels and to develop a joint ASF work plan for the upcoming year. This is part of a deliberate effort, supported by TfP/ACCORD and following the continental exercise – Amani Africa I in 2010 – that tested the ASF and its components, to better improve on the civilian and multidimensional aspects of the ASF during this third phase of its development.
The International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) Executive Secretary, Ambassador Liberata Mulamula and the Founder and Executive Director of the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (Accord), Mr Vasu Gounden, signed this 11 August in Bujumbura a Memorendum of understanding between their two organizations, whereby the two parties are to work together to support common objectives.
ACCORD held an interactive training course for key peacebuilding actors in the DRC from 25-29 July, 2011 in Lubumbashi. The aim was to enhance understanding on the Presidential elections to be held in November 2011, to enable stakeholders to play a role in preventing and mitigating electoral violence.
On 18 July 2011 the Executive Director of ACCORD, vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at a seminar on South Africa's membership of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the period 2011-2012, hosted by the South African Department for International Relations and Co-operation (DIRCO). Gounden was asked to provide an assessment of solutions to conflicts in Africa.
- ACCORD to provide conflict management training for forestry and natural resources academics in Francophone Africa
- ACCORD conducts high-level consultative meetings in South Sudan and signs MoU
- ACCORD attend Turkish 'Preventive Diplomacy and Mediation' Retreat
- TfP/ACCORD contributes to consultation on UN Report of the Independent Review of Civilian Capacity in the Aftermath of Conflict
- ACCORD conducts tour of Nordic countries
- Senior Research Fellow Angela Ndinga-Muvumba discusses 2011 World Bank Development Report
- South Sudan: Turning hope into reality
- ACCORD recruiting for an Environment & Conflict Research Intern
- ACCORD partners in soccer for peace
- TfP/ACCORD helps UN DPKO implement civil affairs training
- ACCORD helps AU develop strategic plan for Peace and Security Department
- ACCORD hosts training in North Sudan for Diplomatic Studies
- Gounden contributes to PAX Africa symposium on integration
- ACCORD hosts Peacebuilding Workshop in Sierra Leone
- ACCORD hosts Peace Agreements Authors’ Workshop
- ACCORD Supports Local Government Election Debate in KZN
- ACCORD remembers Rwandan genocide on 17 year anniversary
- ACCORD hosts the Anointed Spiritual Leader of the African Hebrew Israelites of Jerusalem
- ACCORD to hold 'Peace Agreement and Durable Peace in Africa' workshop
- ACCORD co-hosts 'Protection of Civilians' training feedback session for UN peacekeepers