The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD, in partnership with the African Union (AU) and United Nations (UN), held a consultation on the Review of Civilian Capacities for Peace Operations in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 08 December 2010.
As part of efforts to strengthen the mediation support capacity of the African Union (AU), the ACCORD Peacemaking Unit conducted Advanced Training in Mediation for AU staff from 24-26 November 2010 in Durban, South Africa. Participants represented the AU headquarters in Addis Ababa, as well as a variety of liaison offices including those in Western Sahara, the Central African Republic, Sudan, Chad, Kenya and the Ivory Coast.
Nikiwe Bikitsha, who was at the ACCORD 1325 seminar in Durban, reports in the Mail & Guardian on the state of women and Resolution 1325 on the continent of Africa...
Tor Sellström, a former Senior Advisor at ACCORD, has been awarded an honorary doctorate in Peace and Conflict Research by the University of Uppsala, Sweden.
In October, ACCORD held a training course in Burundi for a wide range of peacebuilding stakeholders. Participants at the training included representatives from the United Nations Integrated Mission in Burundi (BINUB), United Nations Country Team (UNCT), African Union (AU), Government and civil society in Burundi - all integral to the success of ongoing peacebuilding efforts in the country.
A High Level seminar on the role of women, peace and security in Africa has proposed measures to accelerate the implementation of Security Council Resolution 1325 in the context of the African Union (AU) Year of Peace and Security (YoPS), and the launch of the decade of the African Women 2010-2020. The Seminar brought together eminent practitioners, academics and policy makers from around the globe to advance an Africa-wide strategy for women in Peace and Security for the next decade (2010-2020).
The United Nations General Assembly and the Security Council simultaneously adopted Resolution 1947 on the “Review of the Peacebuilding Architecture” on 29 October 2010.
The Resolutions call on “all relevant UN actors to take forward, within their mandates and as appropriate, the recommendations of the report with the main aim of further improving the effectiveness of the Peacebuilding Commission” and also “recognizes that the peacebuilding work of the United Nations requires sustained and adequate resources to meet the challenges”.
ACCORD recently joined the United Nations (UN) to celebrate the 10th anniversary of UN Security Council Resolution 1325 (UNSCR 1325) on women in peace and security. The event provided an opportune moment for the promotion of the Durban Statement arising from the High Level Seminar on ‘UNSCR 1325 in 2020: Looking Forward…Looking Back’ hosted by ACCORD from 8-9 October 2010.
The success of peacebuilding in many countries is largely dependent on regional peace and stability. In collaboration with the Nairobi Peace Initiative-Africa (NPI) and the West African Network for Peace (WANEP), ACCORD will conduct a high-level, regional peacebuilding workshop from 27-29 October 2010 in Monrovia, Liberia. The workshop will bring together key stakeholders from the countries of Guinea-Conakry, Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone to create a clearer understanding of regional dynamics in the Mano River Region.
A delegation of Darfuri Women are now more prepared to address conflict challenges during the Doha peace process, having completed conflict resolution, negotiation and facilitation training conducted by the ACCORD Peacemaking Unit in partnership with the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) Sudan, and the African Union/United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNIMAD).
ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit conducted Advanced Training in Mediation to advance the skills of Mediation Process Experts (MPE) and building a core mediation team that can advise mediation processes on the continent.
- ACCORD Burundi marks Peace Day
- ACCORD supports the AU in charting the future of the ASF Civilian Dimension
- ACCORD presents assessment findings to UNMIS/CAD on International Peace Day
- ACCORD celebrates World Peace Day with youth
- TfP/ACCORD helps develop Senior Peacekeeping Mission Leaders for SADC
- ACCORD Burundi to review peacebuilding progress
- ACCORD researches threat of climate related conflicts in Africa
- ACCORD building peace in the DRC
- ACCORD assists development of SADC Civilian training courses
- ACCORD hosts study tour and conflict resolution training for Sudan CSOs
- ACCORD ramps up peacebuilding efforts
- ACCORD commemorates 150 years of the Indian Diaspora
- ACCORD conducts field research in Africa
- ACCORD introduces Academic Writing Workshops
- ACCORD conducts Conflict Management training for UNMIS
- ACCORD attends UN debate in New York
- ACCORD presents draft Civil Affairs Handbook in New York
- ACCORD plans Phase Four of the TfP Programme
- ACCORD papers published in online journals
- ACCORD supports UN Mission Strategies on Protection of Civilians