The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD has participated in an African Union Commission (AUC) – Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) joint consultative meeting on cooperation on human rights in peace operations. The purpose of the joint consultative meeting was to exchange ideas on common areas of engagement and develop a framework of cooperation with concrete proposals on how the OHCHR and AU will relate on human rights issues in peace operations.
The Training for Peace (TfP) programme at ACCORD participated in the Integrated Mission Planning and Mission Support (IMP & MS) Training Harmonization and Standardization Workshop from 29 September to 03 October 2014 at the SADC RPTC in Harare, Zimbabwe. The workshop, which was organized by the African Peace Support Trainers Association (APSTA) Secretariat, brought together about 30 Mission Planning and Mission Support Experts drawn from institutions such as the African Union Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD), Regional Economic Communities/Mechanisms (RECs/RMs), African Union Mission In Somalia (AMISOM), ACCORD, International Peace Support Training Centre (IPSTC), institute of security studies (ISS), Kofi Anan International Peacekeeping Training Center (KAIPTC), LECIAD, NDC Nigeria, SADC RPTC, UN DPKO, UNOAU, and the APSTA Secretariat.
In line with its objective of providing training in the skills of negotiation, conflict prevention, resolution and management, ACCORD - in partnership with the African Union (AU) and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) - has organised a capacity building workshop for senior staff of Electoral Management Bodies (EMBs) from the COMESA region. Participants from the COMESA Secretariat as well as the AU Commission Secretariat also attended.
The latest publication by the African Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) articulates information and ideas generated from the proceedings of the Fourth African Union (AU) High-Level Retreat on the Promotion of Peace, Security and Stability in Africa, which was held in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, on 29 and 30 October 2013 under the theme '50 Years of peacemaking in Africa: A critical retrospective of OAU/AU peacemaking'.
ACCORD was represented in the African-European Parliamentary Dialogue on Migration and Development which was co-hosted by the Association of European Parliamentarians with Africa (AWEPA) and the Graça Machel Trust. The meeting was held on 2 and 3 October 2014 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Departing from the premise that human migration is complex, the reasons for human movement are varied, and we live in an era of unprecedented mobility of persons in ever increasing numbers, the two-day event sought to uncover the positive aspects of migration, as opposed to the overtly negative and xenophobic labels tagged on immigration and migrants.
ACCORD recently partnered with the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to provide training aimed at empowering women mediators from Sudan and South Sudan. A total of 20 Sudanese and South Sudanese women participated in the five-day training, which focused on ensuring the inclusion of women in peace processes for IGAD taskforces.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has collaborated with AU Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD) in undertaking a study focusing on the roles of the civilian component in the African-led International Support Mission in the Central African Republic (MISCA) and in the AU Mission in Somalia (AMISOM). The study is part of a larger research that seeks to analyse all the AU peace support operations (PSOs) in Africa in this context.
The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) and the African Union (AU) collaborated to produce the AU Mediation Support Handbook. The recently published handbook is a general reference and field study guide for mediation teams and lead mediators deployed on AU mediation missions. With mediation in Africa having moved from an ad hoc intervention to a more institutionalised approach, there is a need for further training, information gathering and dissemination, as well as strategy guidance, as covered in the handbook.
ACCORD has contributed to the Inaugural Meeting of the Panel of the Wise (PW) by leading an interactive session on conflict trends in Africa. The Meeting, which took place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from 16-17 September, was organised by the African Union Commission (AUC) and brought together the Incoming and Outgoing Members of the PW, representatives from the United Nations Office to the African Union (UNOAU) as well as peacemaking experts and scholars.
As part of its work on religion and conflict, ACCORD was recently represented at the Community of Sant'Egidio's peace conference, which took place from 7 to 9 September 2014 in Belgium.
In view of the upcoming 2015 elections in Burundi, and as continuation of the country's commitment to ensuring peaceful elections, ACCORD's Burundi Initiative and Training Unit has delivered two training workshops on the management of elections-related disputes for youth wings leaders of all registered political parties in Burundi's towns of Gitega and Ngozi.
- ACCORD participates in UNDP experts consultation to critically review reconciliation as a mechanism for conflict prevention and peacebuilding
- ACCORD at validation workshop on Draft African Transitional Justice Policy Framework
- TfP/ACCORD participates in TfP field research on policing in peace operations in Africa, focussing on UNAMID
- Training of Trainers in International Humanitarian Law for Somali National Army Officers
- ACCORD publishes brief on Common African Position on the Post-2015 Development Agenda ahead of UN General Assembly meetings
- ACCORD trains SADC military, police and civilians in mediation, negotiation and gender in peace support operations
- ACCORD receives the Mahatma Gandhi International Award for Reconciliation and Peace
- ACCORD partners with UN Peacebuilding Fund for workshop on Political Nature of Peacebuilding
- ACCORD conducts Electoral Alternate Dispute Resolution workshop with the Electoral Commissioners Forum (ECF) of SADC
- ACCORD Celebrates Nelson Mandela Day by contributing to Abalindi Welfare Society
- TfP/ACCORD train UNMISS civil affairs officers on conflict analysis and reporting
- TfP/ACCORD serve as panelists at peace operations workshop in Malawi
- ACCORD co-hosts 4th International Africa Peace and Conflict Resolution conference in partnership with the Centre for African Peace and Conflict Resolution
- ACCORD facilitates key COMESA forum meetings in Seychelles
- ACCORD/TFP take part in 20th IAPTC annual conference and host training methodologies bilateral meeting
- ACCORD participate in Peace Capacities Network 2014 annual meeting in Istanbul
- TfP ACCORD participates in European Union Police Service Training – Exercise LOWLANDS GRENADE
- ACCORD participates in launch and Implementation Workshop of AU Gender, Peace and Security Programme
- Official visit to ACCORD by Minister of Communication and National Reconciliation of Central African Republic
- ACCORD takes part in workshop on regional and national statistical capacities for measuring peace, rule of law and governance