ACCORD, in its 18 years of finding African solutions to African challenges has moved from experience to excellence in being one of the first Non-Government Organisations to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of Sierra Leone.
Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Dr Jean Ping, officially opened a new wing of ACCORD offices on Friday 30 April 2010. Dr Ping was visiting Durban as the Keynote speaker at the Africa-Dialogue review of the UN Peace building Commission hosted by ACCORD. He later addressed the gala ceremony to honor Sierra Leone with the 2010 Africa Peace Award.
President Ernest Bai Koroma and the people of Sierra Leone were honored at the 7th Africa Peace Award celebration hosted by the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) in Durban, South Africa, on 30 April.
View a selection of pictures from the recent ACCORD training for civilian peacekeepers: the Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
The ACCORD Peacemaking Unit hosted a curriculum development workshop and training support group meeting in Durban from 23 - 25 March 2010. Present at the activities were representatives from the African Union Conflict Management Division (AU CMD), Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), the Folke Bernadotte Academy and ACCORD.
ACCORD'S Burundi Intervention Unit facilitated a three-day dialogue session for local civil society leaders, army and police commanders in Gitega, Burundi, from 29-31 March, in preparation for the country's 2010 local and national elections.
ACCORD's Training for Peace Programme (TfP) Programme conducted a three day Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the African Union / United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID) from 26 – 28 April 2010 in Kampala, Uganda.
In preparation for elections starting 21 May, the ACCORD Burundi Intervention Unit will hold a conflict management training and dialogue session for youth leaders and security forces from the Western provinces of Burundi from 10 -13 May 2010 in Bujumbura, Burundi.
The 2010 Africa Peace Award will be presented to Sierra Leone in Durban, South Africa on the 30th of April at a gala awards ceremony hosted by the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD). President Ernest Bai Koroma will receive the award on behalf of his country at the prestigious event, which will be attended by South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma.
The ACCORD Peacemaking Unit hosted project management and joint steering committee meetings for its African Union (AU) Mediation Support Project, in Durban on 26 and 30 March 2010 respectively.
Present at the meetings were representatives from the African Union Conflict Management Division (AU CMD), the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), and ACCORD. Representatives of the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who fund the AU Mediation Support Project, attended the joint steering committee meeting.
To meet the increased demand for training civilian peacekeepers, ACCORD, through its Peacekeeping Unit, recently hosted a Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
- SIDA website showcases ACCORD
- ACCORD & DIRCO to host review of UN Peacebuilding Commission
- ACCORD seconds Peacekeeping Co-ordinator to the African Union
- ACCORD to conduct dialogue session in preparation for Burundi elections
- ACCORD visit Luthuli museum
- International Women Day celebration
- ACCORD hosts peacebuilding workshop in Monrovia
- ACCORD conducts election-focused conflict management training for Burundi youth
- Deputy Head of Mission from French Embassy visits ACCORD
- Gounden attends opening of Parliament dinner
- ACCORD participate in scattering of last remaining ashes of Mahatma Gandhi
- Gounden attends first IAC meeting for 2010 as ICCO board member
- ACCORD supports pre-deployment Training for Malawi Armed Forces
- ACCORD conducts consultative field mission to Sudan
- TfP hosts 7th APSTA Annual General Meeting
- ACCORD to conduct conflict management training for youth leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD hosts Sudanese Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Ambassador Ali Al Shariff
- ACCORD at ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- Gounden meets with Special Representative of Finnish Minister of Foreign Affairs
- AMISOM Visits ACCORD's Durban Offices