ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit recently conducted a Study Tour and Conflict Resolution Training for Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) from Sudan in Pretoria and Johannesburg, South Africa. The training aimed at enhancing the participants' understanding of conflict analysis and intervention strategies.
ACCORD's African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) will be conducting training sessions and workshops during July to September. This is tied to ACCORD’s aim of enhancing coherence and coordination of peacebuilding stakeholders through capacity-building initiatives.
ACCORD's Knowledge Production Department (KPD) - under their first thematic focus area of Peace Agreements and the second thematic area of Climate Change and Conflict - will be undertaking fieldwork in different countries during July and August 2010.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Programme conducted an in-mission Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) in Khartoum from 28 – 30 June 2010. The course included both national and international staff from the three components of the mission – civilian, police, and military.
ACCORD’s Peacekeeping Analyst, Gustavo de Carvalho, recently joined Chiefs of Civil Affairs from UN field missions to discuss and coordinate efforts aimed at improving their work at a meeting in New York.
Senior Trainer and Advisor to ACCORD, Mr Cedric de Coning. has published two new research papers exploring different aspects of peace operations. In the online journal, Global Governance, Cedric focuses on the role of the special representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) in the context of UN integrated missions. This special edition of Global Governance focuses on mediation in post-conflict peace operations and we encourage everyone to read this edition of the journal.
ACCORD hosted Professors Ajay Dubey and Aparajita Biswas from India on Wednesday 15 July 2010, as part of ACCORD’s commemoration of 150 years of Indian settlers in KwaZulu Natal. The academics are in South Africa is to look into the contribution of the Indian Diaspora to the development of South Africa over the last 150 years.
ACCORD staff recently retreated to Botha’s Hill for a two-day academic writing workshop hosted by the Knowledge Production Department (KPD). The picturesque, mid-winter environment at the Chantecler Hotel provided the perfect setting for nine ACCORD staff members to get their writing caps on and develop their academic and critiquing skills.
Peacekeeping Analyst, Gustavo de Carvalho has returned from the United Nations in New York with a fresh outlook on tackling the peackeeping challenges in Africa. Gustavo attended a thematic debate entitled "UN Peacekeeping: looking into the future" held at the UN headquarters on 22 June. The debate was called by the President of the UN General Assembly to allow all member states, academics, Non-Governmental Organisations, and other stakeholders to engage in the discussions on strengthening peacekeeping operations.
ACCORD staff recently flew to Oslo, Norway, to participate in planning the fourth phase of the Training for Peace Programme (TfP) in conjunction with our TfP partners. The meeting from 9-11 June was arranged by the Royal Norwegian Ministry for Foreign Affairs to discuss an updated strategy for the TfP Programme.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD and the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) supported the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) in a Workshop on Mission-Wide Protection Strategies on the Protection of Civilians in UN Peacekeeping Operations from 31 May – 01 June 2010 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- ACCORD provides technical assistance to IFES
- ACCORD creates dialogue between Youth Leaders and Security Forces in Burundi
- ACCORD co-hosts Africa-Wide Dialogue for United Nations Peacebuilding Commission
- Africa Peace Award 2010 Photographic Gallery
- ACCORD signs MoU with government of Sierra Leone
- AU Chair Dr Jean Ping opens new ACCORD Offices
- ACCORD holds Conflict Management Course for UNAMID Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders
- The Nation of Sierra Leone shines at ACCORD 2010 Africa Peace Award
- ACCORD to unite youth leaders and security forces in Burundi
- Image gallery from UN ToT
- ACCORD awards 2010 Africa Peace Award to the Nation of Sierra Leone
- ACCORD hosts Curriculum Development Workshop and Training Support Group Meeting on behalf of AU CMD
- ACCORD hosts project management and joint steering committee meetings for its African Union Mediation Support Project
- ACCORD brings Burundian civil society and security forces together for dialogue
- ACCORD equips UN trainers with conflict management skills
- SIDA website showcases ACCORD
- ACCORD & DIRCO to host review of UN Peacebuilding Commission
- ACCORD seconds Peacekeeping Co-ordinator to the African Union
- ACCORD to conduct dialogue session in preparation for Burundi elections
- ACCORD visit Luthuli museum