The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, accompanied by Hayden Allen (General Manager: Corporate Affairs, ACCORD) and Sunitha Singh (General Manager: Finance and Administration, ACCORD) traveled to New York and Washington between the 8th and 14th of July 2009. While in New York Mr. Gounden had a series of meetings with various United Nations (UN) departments as ACCORD works closely with many UN agencies such as the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (UNDPKO) on ACCORD’s Peacekeeping programme and the UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) on land mediation in Burundi.
A significant outcome of the policy development work of TfP/ACCORD was the adoption of the recommendations in a report of the African Union (AU) African Standby Force (ASF) Civilian Dimension Staffing, Training Rostering and Recruitment (STR) Workshop in the May 2009 meetings of the African Ministers of Defence and Security (AMDS) and the African Chiefs of Defence and Security (ACDS).
ACCORD’s African Peace building Coordination Programme (APCP), in collaboration with the Peace building Office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Republic of Liberia, hosted a Peace building training from 6-10 July 2009 at the Mamba Point Hotel in Monrovia, Liberia.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to attend the International Advisory Board Meeting for the Interchurch Organization for Development Cooperation (ICCO), which was held in Scheveningen, The Netherlands from the 21st to the 24th of June 2009. Mr. Gounden was appointed to the ICCO board in late 2008 after attending their regional meeting that was held in Madagascar and which aimed to investigate how to implement their new innovation process in the Southern Africa region.
As part of ACCORD’s peace building work in Burundi ACCORD has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Government of Republic of Burundi which aims to support the establishment of an Office for Strategic Studies and Development (OSSD) in the Office of the President of Burundi.
On 10 -12 June 2009 Professor Thomas Ohlson and Stina Hoglund from the Department of Peace and Conflict Research at Uppsala University, Sweden, visited ACCORD House. Their visit formed part of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that ACCORD and the Department have entered into which aims to enhance ACCORD’s research capacity while ACCORD will provide its expertise on conflict management experience to the Department.
ACCORD’s Burundi Office conducted a capacity-building training in election-related conflict management for COSOME (Coalition de la Société Civile pour le Monitoring des Elections) and ABR (Association Burundaise des Radiodiffuseurs) from 8-10 July 2009 in Bujumbura, Burundi.
The African Union Peace Support Operations Division (AU - PSOD) in collaboration with ACCORD conducted an African Standby Force (ASF) Civilian Dimension Technical Rostering Workshop from 1 - 3 July 2009 in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at the Oslo Forum, which is co-hosted by the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue. The retreat was held from the 16th to the 18th of June 2009 in Oslo, Norway. The Oslo Forum invites senior mediators and peace process actors to reflect critically on current mediation practices and to explore innovative approaches to address the changing environment in which mediators are operating.
On 19 June 2009 ACCORD hosted its first Board of Trustees Meeting for 2009, which was held at the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Houghton, Gauteng. The second Board meeting will be held in November 2009.
ACCORD participated for the first time as an exhibitor at the recent Cape Town Book Fair that was held in Cape Town from 13-16 June 2009. The opportunity was used to market, network and expand ACCORD’s publications dissemination. Copies of eight ACCORD publications were available for distribution at the Fair.
- Gounden at Cape Town WEF
- TFP/ACCORD host Jaume Guardans from Europeaid Cooperation Office
- Gouden resource person at EU "Making a Difference" conference
- TfP/ACCORD conducts conflict management course for UNAMID
- South African Ambassador to the UAE visits ACCORD
- ACCORD participates in APSTA – European Group On Training (EGT) consultative workshop
- TFP/ACCORD visits UN headquarters in New York
- ACCORD hosts Civil Military Relations Guidance Development Workshop in Uganda
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Africa CIMIC Directive Review Workshop
- African Alliance for Peace (AfAP) Observer Mission
- ACCORD conducts CPPC course for civilian component of SADC Standby Force
- ACCORD conducts peacebuilding training in DRC
- Vasu Gounden invited to 2009 African Mediators Retreat
- ACCORD publishes coexistence report
- ACCORD attend IEC SA elections briefing
- ACCORD at DDP political party debate over SA elections
- ACCORD hosts 1st AGM of Association of Security Sector Education & Training
- TFP/ACCORD participates in Exercise AMANI Africa Planning Meeting
- Events to promote launch of Coexistence Report
- Gounden poem included in Footprint series book