ACCORD has conducted field research in Sudan to investigate the increasing threat of climate related conflicts in Africa. The research findings will inform the work of policy makers and the NGO sector to deal with and prevent climate related conflicts.
Following the changed mandate of the UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), ACCORD has recently engaged with key peacebuilding stakeholders to consolidate sustainable peace efforts in the country.
ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit recently conducted a Study Tour and Conflict Resolution Training for Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) from Sudan in Pretoria and Johannesburg, South Africa. The training aimed at enhancing the participants' understanding of conflict analysis and intervention strategies.
ACCORD hosted Professors Ajay Dubey and Aparajita Biswas from India on Wednesday 15 July 2010, as part of ACCORD’s commemoration of 150 years of Indian settlers in KwaZulu Natal. The academics are in South Africa is to look into the contribution of the Indian Diaspora to the development of South Africa over the last 150 years.
ACCORD staff recently retreated to Botha’s Hill for a two-day academic writing workshop hosted by the Knowledge Production Department (KPD). The picturesque, mid-winter environment at the Chantecler Hotel provided the perfect setting for nine ACCORD staff members to get their writing caps on and develop their academic and critiquing skills.
Peacekeeping Analyst, Gustavo de Carvalho has returned from the United Nations in New York with a fresh outlook on tackling the peackeeping challenges in Africa. Gustavo attended a thematic debate entitled "UN Peacekeeping: looking into the future" held at the UN headquarters on 22 June. The debate was called by the President of the UN General Assembly to allow all member states, academics, Non-Governmental Organisations, and other stakeholders to engage in the discussions on strengthening peacekeeping operations.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD participated in a Southern African Development Community (SADC) - Regional Peacekeeping Training Centre (RPTC) 'Content Development Workshop’, held from 28 – 30 July 2010 in Harare, Zimbabwe.
ACCORD's African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) will be conducting training sessions and workshops during July to September. This is tied to ACCORD’s aim of enhancing coherence and coordination of peacebuilding stakeholders through capacity-building initiatives.
ACCORD's Knowledge Production Department (KPD) - under their first thematic focus area of Peace Agreements and the second thematic area of Climate Change and Conflict - will be undertaking fieldwork in different countries during July and August 2010.
ACCORD's Training for Peace (TfP) Programme conducted an in-mission Conflict Management for Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders Course for the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) in Khartoum from 28 – 30 June 2010. The course included both national and international staff from the three components of the mission – civilian, police, and military.
ACCORD’s Peacekeeping Analyst, Gustavo de Carvalho, recently joined Chiefs of Civil Affairs from UN field missions to discuss and coordinate efforts aimed at improving their work at a meeting in New York.
- ACCORD plans Phase Four of the TfP Programme
- ACCORD papers published in online journals
- ACCORD supports UN Mission Strategies on Protection of Civilians
- ACCORD provides technical assistance to IFES
- ACCORD creates dialogue between Youth Leaders and Security Forces in Burundi
- ACCORD co-hosts Africa-Wide Dialogue for United Nations Peacebuilding Commission
- Africa Peace Award 2010 Photographic Gallery
- ACCORD signs MoU with government of Sierra Leone
- AU Chair Dr Jean Ping opens new ACCORD Offices
- ACCORD holds Conflict Management Course for UNAMID Peacekeepers and Peacebuilders
- The Nation of Sierra Leone shines at ACCORD 2010 Africa Peace Award
- ACCORD to unite youth leaders and security forces in Burundi
- Image gallery from UN ToT
- ACCORD awards 2010 Africa Peace Award to the Nation of Sierra Leone
- ACCORD hosts Curriculum Development Workshop and Training Support Group Meeting on behalf of AU CMD
- ACCORD hosts project management and joint steering committee meetings for its African Union Mediation Support Project
- ACCORD brings Burundian civil society and security forces together for dialogue
- ACCORD equips UN trainers with conflict management skills
- SIDA website showcases ACCORD
- ACCORD & DIRCO to host review of UN Peacebuilding Commission