ACCORD'S Burundi Intervention Unit facilitated a three-day dialogue session for local civil society leaders, army and police commanders in Gitega, Burundi, from 29-31 March, in preparation for the country's 2010 local and national elections.
To meet the increased demand for training civilian peacekeepers, ACCORD, through its Peacekeeping Unit, recently hosted a Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
In recognition of South Africa’s role as co-facilitator in the review of the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission (PBC), the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) and ACCORD will be jointly hosting an Africa-wide Dialogue to review the progress of the PBC since its establishment in 2005.
ACCORD's Burundi Intervention will conduct a dialogue session for local civil society organizations and security forces as part of a series of initiatives to contribute to peace efforts in Burundi before, during and after the May to September 2010 elections.
In celebration of International Women Day the 8th March, the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) Ms Maite Nkoana-Mashabane hosted a Banquet Dinner at the Presidential Guest house and seminar at DIRCO
As part of a series of initiatives planned by ACCORD to promote and sustain peace in Burundi before, during and after the upcoming elections, the Burundi Intervention conducted a conflict management training session for youth leaders from 21-26 February 2010 in Ngozi.
The Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) English website has highlighted the work of ACCORD in a feature article entitled, 'Peace Organization Emerges from the Shadow of Mandela'.
ACCORD’s Peacekeeping Co-ordinator, Yvonne Kasumba will take-up a six month secondment to the African Union (AU) as the Civilian Liason Officer in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from the 1st April 2010.
ACCORD's Knowledge Production Department together with staff from the Interventions Department, paid a visit to the Luthuli Museum in Groutville on 12 March. The visit was as part of ACCORD’s mandate to build Fellows’ networks and capacity under the organisation’s Junior Fellowship Programme.
The ACCORD Peacebuilding Unit’s African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) recently organized and conducted a Peacebuilding Workshop in collaboration with the Liberia Peacebuilding Office under the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Liberia. The activity took place from 1-5 March 2010 and brought together a cross section of 26 participants from key regions in Liberia.
On Monday, 01 March 2010, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, met with Philippe Orliange, the Deputy Head of Mission from the French Embassy in Pretoria. This is the first official visit to ACCORD House by a representative from the French Embassy. Mr. Orliange’s visit was to learn more about ACCORD and its activities.
- Gounden attends opening of Parliament dinner
- ACCORD participate in scattering of last remaining ashes of Mahatma Gandhi
- Gounden attends first IAC meeting for 2010 as ICCO board member
- ACCORD supports pre-deployment Training for Malawi Armed Forces
- ACCORD conducts consultative field mission to Sudan
- TfP hosts 7th APSTA Annual General Meeting
- ACCORD to conduct conflict management training for youth leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD hosts Sudanese Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Ambassador Ali Al Shariff
- ACCORD at ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- Gounden meets with Special Representative of Finnish Minister of Foreign Affairs
- AMISOM Visits ACCORD's Durban Offices
- Gounden acts as resource person ISLP international trade negotiation training
- Seasons Greetings!
- ACCORD hosts AMISOM confidence-building workshop for TCCs
- ACCORD attends International Sudan Studies Conference
- Joint South African-German Training Programme for Diplomats from SADC Countries
- ACCORD hosts farewell dinner for outgoing Indian Consul General
- ACCORD Board of Trustees holds final meeting for 2009
- Gounden responds to address by Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- ACCORD addresses EU Development Councilors