The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Royal Norwegian Government to be a respondent to Mr. Gahr Stores address during a seminar on "States in fragile environments: Common engagement for conflict resolution and development", that took place on 24 November 2009 at the University of Pretoria. The seminar was part of the official programme of the State Visit of Their Majesties The King and Queen of Norway, who were in attendance at the seminar. Mr. Gounden was the only respondent on the agenda for the seminar.
ACCORD's Executive Director was invited as a guest speaker to address a meeting of European Union (EU) Development Councilors based in South Africa, on 19 November 2009. The invitation provided an opportunity for the Executive Director to bring to the attention of the twenty four development councilors who attended the meeting the work that ACCORD undertakes on the Continent.
ACCORD's Executive Director was invited to be a resource person at the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s diplomatic training, research and analysis conference hosted by DIRCO in Pretoria from 05-06 November 2009. The theme for the conference was “Closing the Gap Between Domestic and Foreign Policies”.
Muden, Stutterheim and Mpumalanga (KZN) Coexistence launches: 27, 31 March 2009 and 7 August 2009
As part of its thematic work on Peacebuilding in South Africa, the coexistence study publication: Views and Visions of Coexistence in South Africa was launched in Muden on 27 March 2009, in Stutterheim on 31 March and in Mpumalanga (KwaZulu Natal) on 7 August 2009. The objectives of the launches were to thank communities for their participation in the original and follow-up studies; for Professor Jannie Malan, Senior Researcher, to share the findings of the publications in the wider community; and to provide community members the opportunity to discuss present challenges of coexistence with ACCORD staff and an external resource person. Nearly 40 community members attended each launch.
Vasu Gounden, the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD was invited to be a resource person at the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s (DIRCO’s) diplomatic Training, Research and Analysis Conference, hosted by DIRCO in Pretoria from 05-06 November 2009. The theme for the conference was “Closing the gap between Domestic and foreign Policies”. The conference presented an opportunity to exchange ideas and address emerging issues and scenarios around South Africa’s Domestic and Foreign Policy.
ACCORD's Executive Director was a resource person at the 'Exploratory Dialogue Forum for Northern Sudanese Civil Society Organisations' workshop hosted by ACCORD in Pretoria from 26-28 October 2009.
On 19 November 2009 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, along with the General Manager of Corporate Affairs, Hayden Allen and the Co-ordinator of ACCORD’s African Peace building Coordination Programme (APCP), Walter Lotze, met with Mr. Conmany Wesseh, the former Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Liberia (now Ambassador Designate to Belgium/the Benelux countries and the European Union), along with Mr. Dusty Wolokolie, MP, from the Pan African Parliament (and Chairman of the House Standing Committee on Good Governance and Governance Reform in Liberia).
During the April 2009 South African national and provincial elections, following a directive from the provincial legislature, ACCORD constituted an observer mission, the African Alliance for Peace (AfAP) with African partners the Nairobi Peace Initiative (NPI) and the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP).
The African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) hosted a two-week Joint Peacebuilding Training and Study Tour in South Africa from 19 – 30 October 2009. The 18 participants who attended the training were high-level government and civil society representatives from the four focus countries of the Programme (Burundi, DRC, Liberia and Sudan), as well as Mr Moshood Olatokunbo, the African Union Expert on Peacebuilding and Post-Conflict Reconstruction.
ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit hosted a three day Exploratory Dialogue Forum for Northern Sudanese Civil Society Organisations (CSOs). The Dialogue took place from 26-28 October 2009 at Burgers Park Hotel in Pretoria. Participants at the forum were prominent academics and civil society actors who have been involved in peacemaking interventions in all regions of Sudan.
On 26 October 2009 ACCORD's Executive Director met with Aaron Williams, the newly appointed United States Peace Corps Director. Mr. Williams was in South Africa as part of a world-wide tour that saw him visit country directors of the Peace Corps in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Mr. Williams is a former USAID Mission Director who was based in South Africa in the early 1990’s. As one of ACCORD’s larger donors, ACCORD worked closely with Mr. Williams when he worked for USAID.
- 'Towards a More Strategic Approach in Enhancing the AU’s Capacity in Mediation' Seminar, Ethiopia
- Mediation, Conflict Resolution, and International Politics Seminar, Finland
- UN DPKO & ACCORD working together on UN Civil Affairs Handbook
- TfP/ACCORD participate in SADC standby force field training exercise after action review workshop
- ACCORD meets former DIFID Southern Africa conflict advisor
- Conflict Management Training for Norwegian Refugee Council in Bujumbura
- TFP/ACCORD participates in SADC Standby Force field training exercise
- Sellström invited to Luthuli Museum for International Peace Day
- Gounden invited to ICCO International Conference in The Netherlands
- KPD hosts Peace Agreements Workshop in Durban
- Visit by former South African Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Aziz Pahad
- ACCORD hosts Trustee EXCOM Meeting
- ACCORD participates in African Union MAPEX
- ACCORD conducts second conflict management training for UNAMID
- ACCORD conduct election observation and mediation training in Bujumbura
- ACCORD run civilian peacebuilding training in Monrovia
- Gounden resource person at Heinrich Böll Stiftung conference
- ACCORD/SADC RPTC conducts Integrated Course for SADC Standby Force
- Filmmaker Nandita Das visits ACCORD
- ACCORD participates in ASF Evaluation Concept Workshop