ACCORD Trustee Madam Graça Machel was elected as the Chair of ACCORD’s Board of Trustees at ACCORD’s Trustees Meeting that was held on 3 December 2008. Madam Machel took over the Chair from H.E. Ambassador Sibusiso Bengu.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI) to travel with the former President of Finland, and 2008 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, H.E. President Marti Ahtisaari, to Liberia for the launch of the “Governance out of the box” programme on 27-28 November 2008, in Monrovia. Discussions were also held on a working partnership between ACCORD and CMI on the above programme.
Within the framework of its partnership with the Department of Peace and Conflict Research (DPCR) at the University of Uppsala, Sweden, twice a year ACCORD co-organizes international Top-Level Seminars on Peace and Security (TOPS). Under the theme 'Challenges to Durable Peace', the second TOPS seminar for 2008 was held in Uppsala from 25 November until 5 December 2008.
The African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme at ACCORD hosted a Consultative Workshop in Kampala, Uganda, bringing together stakeholders to the peacebuilding process in Sudan from 20-21 November 2008.
On 10 November 2008 Lee Ann Sedowski, Research Associate on the Global Development Programme, from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation in the United States visited ACCORD House. Ms Sedowski visited ACCORD to learn more about its trade negotiation trainings which it has conducted on the Continent as part of its partnership with the International Senior Lawyers Programme (ISLP), based in Washington in the United States.
From 3-4 November 2008 the African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme at ACCORD hosted a Peacebuilding Consultative Workshop in Bujumbura, Burundi for stakeholders to the peacebuilding process in that country.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, attended the second annual general meeting of AfAP, from 20-21 November 2008, in Nairobi, Kenya. AfAP which is a tripartite partnership agreement between ACCORD, the Nairobi Peace Initiative-Africa (NPI-Africa) and the West Africa Network for Peace-building (WANEP). The aim of the partnership is to share experiences and lessons learnt in the field of peacebuilding.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to be a resource person at a workshop hosted by the Embassy of Finland in honour of a delegation of eleven individuals on a study tour of South Africa on 17 November in Pretoria. The Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs has launched a programme to familiarize top Finnish decision-makers with global development issues and the practices of development cooperation.
On 11 November 2008 May-Elin Stene, Minister Councilor at the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Pretoria, visited ACCORD House where she and the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, signed a new grant agreement for the Training for Peace (TfP) programme. The TfP programme has been running at ACCORD since 1995.
On 12 November 2008 the Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, provided a presentation on current global developments and their impact on Africa to a delegation of senior members from the Government of Burundi and senior officers from the College of Defence Management (CDM) from Secunderabad in India.
The Senior Programme Officer of the African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme, Mr. Walter Lotze, participated in a seminar hosted by the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) on the Responsibility to Protect (R2P) in Oslo, Norway, from 29-30 October 2008.
- NUPI director Jan Egeland visits ACCORD
- ACCORD trains peacebuilders in Liberia
- Former US Ambassador to Burkina Faso visits ACCORD
- ACCORD host new Swedish Ambassador to SA
- ACCORD trains Somali Joint Security Committee
- Gounden attends dinner with new Swedish Ambassador to SA
- Co-operation between government and NGO’s in Angola
- Study tour and training for Southern Sudan Legislative Assembly
- Gounden resource person at Folke Bernadotte Academy's mediation workshop
- APCP conducts peacebuilding training in DRC
- Gounden contributes to SA Government scenarios 2025 process
- Gounden attends Indian Consul reception dinner
- Peacebuilding Programme hosts Curriculum Development Workshop
- Burundi work featured in Guardian newspaper
- ACCORD train SA foreign service cadets
- Gounden attends state banquet for Venezuelan president
- ACCORD'S Board of Trustees meet
- EXCOM Board Meet at ACCORD
- Senior ABSA Executives visit ACCORD
- ACCORD train SA foreign service