On 8 December 2007 ACCORD hosted its Annual Trustees meeting at the Polana Serena Hotel in Maputo, Mozambique. The meeting was attended by five of ACCORD’s eight Trustees, who were accompanied by their spouses. During the late morning ACCORD was honoured to have former South Africa President H. E. President Nelson Mandela meet informally with ACCORD’s Trustees and Staff.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Women in Security Conflict Management and Peace (WISCOMP), based in New Delhi, to be a resource person at their International Symposium on Dialogue Process, which was held from 15-17 March 2008.
On 5 March 2008 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to meet with the Finnish Director General for Africa and the Middle East, Mr. Teemu Tanner, at the Finnish Embassy in Pretoria. Mr. Tanner was in South Africa after attending a Nordic-Africa Foreign Ministers Meeting in Gaborone, Botswana.
ACCORD’s Burundi Intervention held a conflict management training for women civil society leaders in Burundi from 18-20 February 2008 at the Sun Safari Hotel in Bujumbura, Burundi. This training was facilitated by Kemi Ogunsanya, ACCORD trainer and gender specialist, and Adelin Hatungimana, Senior Progamme Officer at the Burundi Office.
On Wednesday, 20 February 2008, Anders Rönquist (First Secretary, Deputy Head, Development Cooperation Section), from the Embassy of Sweden in Pretoria, Linnéa Ehrnst (Advisor for the Division for Peace and Security from Sida Headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden), and Kerstin Lundgren (from the Swedish Embassy in Harare) visited ACCORD House.
ACCORD’s Burundi Programme will hold a conflict management training for women leaders in Burundi from 18-20 February 2008 in Bujumbura. This training will be facilitated by Kemi Ogunsanya, ACCORD trainer and gender specialist, and Adelin Hatungimana, Senior Progamme Officer at the Burundi Office.
On 6 March 2008 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to meet with Mr. Frydenlund at the Norwegian Embassy in Pretoria. Mr. Frydenlund is the Head of the Department responsible for the Horn and Central Africa (including Burundi) at the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The main focus of the meeting was ACCORD’s work in Burundi.
ACCORD’s African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) will conduct a series of consultation meetings in Monrovia, Liberia, from 12-19 March 2008. The consultations with key stakeholders in the peacebuilding process are aimed at reflecting on the years of regional conflict that have impacted on Liberia, and on the implementation of the peacebuilding process currently underway in that country.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace programme will hold a five-day Conflict Management Course for Peacekeepers in Pretoria from 25-29 February 2008. The training will be facilitated by Kemi Ogunsanya, ACCORD’s senior trainer, and Yvonne Kasumba, Senior Programme Officer with the Training for Peace programme, at the South African National Peace Mission Training Centre.
On 7 February Jeremy Astil Brown, who is one of five Conflict Advisors at the British Department for International Development (DFID) for the Africa region, visited ACCORD House. DFID is currently funding ACCORD’s Angola Country Programme.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD’s Senior Programme Officer, Yvonne Kasumba, will participate in a meeting entitled “Civilian Protection in Africa: A Dialogue” from 13-14 February 2007. The meeting will be hosted by the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (CHD) in Nairobi, Kenya.
- ACCORD trains Burundian civil society in conflict management
- ACCORD to host planning for African Standby Force
- ACCORD to assist with exercise scenarios for African Standby Force
- Dialogue Session and Conflict Management Training in Lubango
- CIMIC from a Norwegian Perspective: Reconciling UN, NATO & PRT Approaches
- Unintended Consequences of Peacekeeping
- Basic Conflict Management Training for media in Burundi
- SADC Workshop on Peace Operations
- Finnish government representatives visit ACCORD
- Visit to ACCORD by H.E. High Commissioner Rajiv Bhatia
- Gounden attends Brussels workshop on the EU’s role in conflict prevention
- Canadian High Commission visit ACCORD
- African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme Hosts Stakeholders Forum
- ACCORD conducts Civilian Peacekeeping and Peace-building Course in Ghana
- ACCORD Hosts Women in Dialogue for Peace in Africa
- ACCORD Meets Mith the South African National Office for the Coordination of Peace Missions
- ACCORD Hosts Forum on Peace Agreements in Africa
- Training of Trainers for Civil Society Members in Angola
- Conflict Management Training for Angolan Government Officials
- OECD/DAC Experts Meeting on Developing Practical Guidance on Armed Violence Reduction in Nairobi