President Ernest Bai Koroma and the people of Sierra Leone were honored at the 7th Africa Peace Award celebration hosted by the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) in Durban, South Africa, on 30 April.
In preparation for elections starting 21 May, the ACCORD Burundi Intervention Unit will hold a conflict management training and dialogue session for youth leaders and security forces from the Western provinces of Burundi from 10 -13 May 2010 in Bujumbura, Burundi.
The 2010 Africa Peace Award will be presented to Sierra Leone in Durban, South Africa on the 30th of April at a gala awards ceremony hosted by the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD). President Ernest Bai Koroma will receive the award on behalf of his country at the prestigious event, which will be attended by South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma.
The ACCORD Peacemaking Unit hosted project management and joint steering committee meetings for its African Union (AU) Mediation Support Project, in Durban on 26 and 30 March 2010 respectively.
Present at the meetings were representatives from the African Union Conflict Management Division (AU CMD), the Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), and ACCORD. Representatives of the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who fund the AU Mediation Support Project, attended the joint steering committee meeting.
To meet the increased demand for training civilian peacekeepers, ACCORD, through its Peacekeeping Unit, recently hosted a Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
In recognition of South Africa’s role as co-facilitator in the review of the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission (PBC), the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) and ACCORD will be jointly hosting an Africa-wide Dialogue to review the progress of the PBC since its establishment in 2005.
View a selection of pictures from the recent ACCORD training for civilian peacekeepers: the Train-the-Trainer course in conflict management for UN peacekeeping missions with a civil affairs component. The event took place from 15-19 March 2010, in Durban.
The ACCORD Peacemaking Unit hosted a curriculum development workshop and training support group meeting in Durban from 23 - 25 March 2010. Present at the activities were representatives from the African Union Conflict Management Division (AU CMD), Crisis Management Initiative (CMI), the Folke Bernadotte Academy and ACCORD.
ACCORD'S Burundi Intervention Unit facilitated a three-day dialogue session for local civil society leaders, army and police commanders in Gitega, Burundi, from 29-31 March, in preparation for the country's 2010 local and national elections.
The Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) English website has highlighted the work of ACCORD in a feature article entitled, 'Peace Organization Emerges from the Shadow of Mandela'.
ACCORD’s Peacekeeping Co-ordinator, Yvonne Kasumba will take-up a six month secondment to the African Union (AU) as the Civilian Liason Officer in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from the 1st April 2010.
- ACCORD to conduct dialogue session in preparation for Burundi elections
- ACCORD visit Luthuli museum
- International Women Day celebration
- ACCORD hosts peacebuilding workshop in Monrovia
- ACCORD conducts election-focused conflict management training for Burundi youth
- Deputy Head of Mission from French Embassy visits ACCORD
- Gounden attends opening of Parliament dinner
- ACCORD participate in scattering of last remaining ashes of Mahatma Gandhi
- Gounden attends first IAC meeting for 2010 as ICCO board member
- ACCORD supports pre-deployment Training for Malawi Armed Forces
- ACCORD conducts consultative field mission to Sudan
- TfP hosts 7th APSTA Annual General Meeting
- ACCORD to conduct conflict management training for youth leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD hosts Sudanese Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Ambassador Ali Al Shariff
- ACCORD at ASF Training Implementation Workshop
- Gounden meets with Special Representative of Finnish Minister of Foreign Affairs
- AMISOM Visits ACCORD's Durban Offices
- Gounden acts as resource person ISLP international trade negotiation training
- Seasons Greetings!
- ACCORD hosts AMISOM confidence-building workshop for TCCs