On Friday, 18 July 2014, the ACCORD Staff, in partnership with the Gandhi Development Trust (GDT), celebrated the annual international Nelson Mandela Day by devoting a day of community service and volunteering in support of the Abalindi Old Age and Frail Care Home in Inanda, Durban. The ACCORD Staff spent the day painting and refurbishing the Hall of the Abalindi Old Age Home.
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at ACCORD was requested by the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) to conduct a training for its International and National Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs) on Conflict Analysis and Reporting. This training aimed at enhancing the existing skills of the twenty two (22) UNMISS Civil Affairs Officers in Conflict Analysis while further providing them with required skills to report on conflict so as to effectively contribute to the implementation of the mission's mandate focusing on the mission's five priority areas.
The recently-held Fourth International Africa Peace and Conflict Resolution Conference provided an important platform for African and American academics and practitioners working in the fields of conflict and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) to share knowledge and discuss the theory and practice of ADR in Africa. The conference, which was co-hosted by the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD), in partnership with the Center for African Peace and Conflict Resolution (CAPCR) at the California State University, Sacramento, United States of America, was organised under the theme 'Alternative dispute resolution and peace studies in Africa: Lessons, prospects and challenges'.
As a member of IAPTC, the Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) have participated at this year's IAPTC Annual Conference to further strengthen and broaden the understanding of the African peace operations issues as well as the civilian dimension of peace operations within the international peacekeeping training community.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD has participated in the 2014 European Union Police Service Training (EUPST) session which focused on the development of a rapid deployment capability of police elements in crisis management operations, and to train and evaluate the preparation, planning and Tactics, Techniques and Procedures and the conduct of all necessary activities within the scope of EUPST.
ACCORD hosted the Minister of Communication and Reconciliation from the Central African Republic (CAR), H.E. Madam Antoinette Montaigne Moussa, from 30th May-2nd June, in Durban, South Africa. The visit was intended to explore possible collaborative activities and partnership between the Ministry and ACCORD in the areas of reconciliation and nation-building in CAR.
The Training for Peace in Africa Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has participated in a 'Policy to Practice: Peace Operations in Africa Workshop' in Lilongwe, Malawi. The workshop focused on linking the expectations of United Nations (UN) chapter seven missions to strategic guidance — with specific emphasis on robust operations, which include, the protection of civilians, gender mainstreaming, challenges of transitioning African-led missions to the UN operations; and the transfer of UN peacekeeping security responsibilities to civilian authorities. The Workshop endeavoured to move the discussions and analysis forward, toward greater relevancy for peacekeepers in the field. ACCORD's expertise in peace operations in Africa strengthened the discussions during the workshop.
In recognition of the support that it has provided to the African Union and Regional Economic Communities in the last 22 years, ACCORD has continued to be invited to participate in high level forums in the continent in order to lend technical support, present topical papers and moderate sessions. This has placed the organisation at the forefront of contributing to development of policy frameworks for conflict management and implementation of peacemaking, peacekeeping, peacebuilding as well as training initiatives in the continent.
The Training for Peace (TfP) in Africa Programme and Africa Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) at ACCORD have participated in the 2014 Peace Capacities (PeaceCap) Network's Annual Partners Meeting. As the South Africa's representative in the Network, ACCORD's participation in the meeting sought to further develop and strengthen civilian capacities in peacekeeping and peacebuilding in Africa to respond to Multidimensional peace support operations.
As part of its efforts to mainstream gender into its activities, the African Union Commission Peace and Security Department (PSD) formulated and commissioned a Gender, Peace and Security Programme (GPSP) under the Peace and Security Department. The GPSP is a flagship programme for the integration of gender into the continental peace and security agenda as well as support to the implementation of global and continental framework for women's increased participation in peace and security.
Peace, rule of law and governance are measurable and a key component of development indicators in Africa. This was the conclusion of a workshop held from 11–12 June 2014 at the African Union Commission in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Hosted by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), this workshop sought to consolidate the African position on the inclusion of peace, rule of law and governance, as part of the development indicators for the post-2015 development agenda.
- ACCORD trains key Liberian peacebuilding actors in peacebuilding skills and project management
- ACCORD’s Vasu Gounden presents Perspectives of African Non-state Actors during 10th Anniversary Celebrations of the African Union Peace and Security Council in Addis Ababa
- ACCORD participates in African Union mediation support capacity strategy meeting in Addis Ababa
- ACCORD’s Peacebuilding Unit conduct research trip to better understand dynamics at play in South Sudan
- End Sexual Violence in Conflict
- TfP/ACCORD participates in Stakeholders Validation Workshop on the ECOWAS Standby Force Civilian Dimension Policy Framework
- TfP/ACCORD participate in ECCAS/FOMAC Civilian Component Workshop
- ACCORD supports Joint Solidarity Mission in Central African Republic
- ACCORD and partners in Great Lakes Project attract accolades from AU Special Envoy to the Great Lakes and North Kivu Governor for regional approach to peacebuilding
- Gounden addresses AU Peace and Security Council
- ACCORD collaborate to develop peacebuilding computer game to enhance training
- ACCORD launches special issue of African Journal on Conflict Resolution in honour of HW van der Merwe
- ACCORD attend workshop to strengthen institutional capacities for building gender equality
- ACCORD supports South-South Cooperation
- Southern Africa non-state actors reflect on the work of the African Union Peace and Security Council ahead of its 10th anniversary
- Training on elections and conflict management for African youth leaders
- ACCORD hosts 9th Mediation Support Network Meeting in Durban
- ACCORD hosts training workshop for ECCAS mediation experts in Durban
- African Journal on Conflict Resolution Special Issue Launch
- African Union high level retreat at ACCORD