The Peacekeeping Best Practices Section of the United Nations (UN) Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) and the Training for Peace (TfP) Programme at the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) will be hosting a seminar on the DPKO Capstone Doctrine from 14-15 May in Oslo, Norway.
The Senior Programme Officer for the Training for Peace (TfP) Programme, Ms. Yvonne Kasumba, is presently participating in a United Nations (UN) Civilian Staff Officer Course (UNCIVSOC) hosted by the Swedish Armed Forces International Centre (SWEDINT) in Kungsängen, Sweden.
On 21 April 2008 the High Commissioner to South Africa for the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, H.E. Anura Rajakaruna, visited ACCORD House. The High Commissioner previously visited ACCORD in April 2007 when he accompanied two political leaders from the Government of Sri Lanka, the Honourable Mr. Veerasingham Anandasangaree and the Honourable Mr. Douglas Devananda to ACCORD House.
On the 16th of April Dr. Ziad Abu-Amr, who is a member of the Palestinian Legislative Council, the founder of the Palestinian Council on Foreign Relations and a former Palestinian Foreign Minister, visited ACCORD House along with Kjell-Ake Nordquist from the Stockholm School of Theology Human Rights Programme (previously the Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University).
ACCORD’s Kemi Ogunsanya will present a paper on ‘Mitigating Election-Related Conflicts in the SADC region’ at an elections observation training workshop for SADC Members of Parliaments.
ACCORD's African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme will conduct a series of consultation meetings in Burundi from 28 April-07 May 2008. The consultations are to be with key stakeholders in the peacebuilding process, and are aimed at reflecting on the years of regional conflict that have impacted on Burundi, and at the implementation of the peacebuilding process currently underway in that country.
ACCORD is pleased to announce the recognition received by two of its Trustees by President Thabo Mbeki on 22 April 2008.
H.E. Ambassador Billy Modise, the former South African Ambassador to Canada and the former South African Chief of State Protocol, received the Order of Luthuli
ACCORD Trustee Graça Machel was awarded a Doctor Honoris Causa by the University of Barcelona, Spain, yesterday. Graça Machel is the chairperson of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (GAVI). Presenting the Award at an official ceremony, the Chancellor of the University stated that Graça Machel represents “justice, freedom and democracy.
On the 10th of April Stuart Bloomfield, a Senior Evaluation Manager in the Office of the Inspector General in the Evaluation Department at the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade in Canada, visited ACCORD House.
On 15 April Norimasa Yoshida, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) NEPAD Advisor, visited ACCORD House to discuss ACCORD’s plans for the construction of the Africa Peace Centre (APC) in order to assist with identifying possible funding opportunities from Japan. During the visit Mr. Yoshida met with ACCORD Staff and visited the site for the APC on the Bluff Headland.
- 4th Annual Mahatma Gandhi Salt March held in Durban
- ACCORD hosts first EXCOM meeting of 2008
- G8++ Africa Clearing House Conference
- ACCORD Staff and Trustees Meet Mandela
- Gounden Invited to Indian Women in Conflict Management Symposium
- Gounden Presents ACCORD at Norwegian Embassy
- Gounden Meets Finish Director General for Africa
- ACCORD holds consultations on peacebuilding process in Liberia
- Conflict Management Training for Civil Society Women Leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD to train SANDF for UN and AU deployment
- Swedish Embassy and Sida visit ACCORD
- DFID Conflict Advisor visits ACCORD
- ACCORD to train women leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD to participate in dialogue on civilian protection in Africa
- ACCORD trains Burundian civil society in conflict management
- ACCORD to host planning for African Standby Force
- ACCORD to assist with exercise scenarios for African Standby Force
- Dialogue Session and Conflict Management Training in Lubango
- CIMIC from a Norwegian Perspective: Reconciling UN, NATO & PRT Approaches
- Unintended Consequences of Peacekeeping