On Sunday, 20 April 2008 the 4th Annual Mahatma Gandhi Salt March was held in Durban. The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, who is a Trustee of the Gandhi Development Trust, was the director of programmes for the event held after the march at Battery Beach, while Hayden Allen (General Manager: Corporate Affairs, ACCORD) coordinated the programme for the event.
On 16 April 2008 ACCORD held its third Trustee EXCOM Meeting at ACCORD House. Two EXCOM meetings are held each year and this was the first meeting for 2008. The second EXCOM meeting will be held in August 2008.
On 8 December 2007 ACCORD hosted its Annual Trustees meeting at the Polana Serena Hotel in Maputo, Mozambique. The meeting was attended by five of ACCORD’s eight Trustees, who were accompanied by their spouses. During the late morning ACCORD was honoured to have former South Africa President H. E. President Nelson Mandela meet informally with ACCORD’s Trustees and Staff.
On 6 March 2008 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to meet with Mr. Frydenlund at the Norwegian Embassy in Pretoria. Mr. Frydenlund is the Head of the Department responsible for the Horn and Central Africa (including Burundi) at the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The main focus of the meeting was ACCORD’s work in Burundi.
ACCORD’s African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme (APCP) will conduct a series of consultation meetings in Monrovia, Liberia, from 12-19 March 2008. The consultations with key stakeholders in the peacebuilding process are aimed at reflecting on the years of regional conflict that have impacted on Liberia, and on the implementation of the peacebuilding process currently underway in that country.
ACCORD’s Training for Peace programme will hold a five-day Conflict Management Course for Peacekeepers in Pretoria from 25-29 February 2008. The training will be facilitated by Kemi Ogunsanya, ACCORD’s senior trainer, and Yvonne Kasumba, Senior Programme Officer with the Training for Peace programme, at the South African National Peace Mission Training Centre.
Cedric de Coning, Research Fellow of ACCORD, has been invited to attend the 5th G8++ Africa Clearing House Conference that is taking place in Tokyo, Japan from 23-24 April.
The Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited by the Women in Security Conflict Management and Peace (WISCOMP), based in New Delhi, to be a resource person at their International Symposium on Dialogue Process, which was held from 15-17 March 2008.
On 5 March 2008 the Founder and Executive Director of ACCORD, Vasu Gounden, was invited to meet with the Finnish Director General for Africa and the Middle East, Mr. Teemu Tanner, at the Finnish Embassy in Pretoria. Mr. Tanner was in South Africa after attending a Nordic-Africa Foreign Ministers Meeting in Gaborone, Botswana.
ACCORD’s Burundi Intervention held a conflict management training for women civil society leaders in Burundi from 18-20 February 2008 at the Sun Safari Hotel in Bujumbura, Burundi. This training was facilitated by Kemi Ogunsanya, ACCORD trainer and gender specialist, and Adelin Hatungimana, Senior Progamme Officer at the Burundi Office.
On Wednesday, 20 February 2008, Anders Rönquist (First Secretary, Deputy Head, Development Cooperation Section), from the Embassy of Sweden in Pretoria, Linnéa Ehrnst (Advisor for the Division for Peace and Security from Sida Headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden), and Kerstin Lundgren (from the Swedish Embassy in Harare) visited ACCORD House.
- DFID Conflict Advisor visits ACCORD
- ACCORD to train women leaders in Burundi
- ACCORD to participate in dialogue on civilian protection in Africa
- ACCORD trains Burundian civil society in conflict management
- ACCORD to host planning for African Standby Force
- ACCORD to assist with exercise scenarios for African Standby Force
- Dialogue Session and Conflict Management Training in Lubango
- CIMIC from a Norwegian Perspective: Reconciling UN, NATO & PRT Approaches
- Unintended Consequences of Peacekeeping
- Basic Conflict Management Training for media in Burundi
- SADC Workshop on Peace Operations
- Finnish government representatives visit ACCORD
- Visit to ACCORD by H.E. High Commissioner Rajiv Bhatia
- Gounden attends Brussels workshop on the EU’s role in conflict prevention
- Canadian High Commission visit ACCORD
- African Peacebuilding Coordination Programme Hosts Stakeholders Forum
- ACCORD conducts Civilian Peacekeeping and Peace-building Course in Ghana
- ACCORD Hosts Women in Dialogue for Peace in Africa
- ACCORD Meets Mith the South African National Office for the Coordination of Peace Missions
- ACCORD Hosts Forum on Peace Agreements in Africa