“The challenge for the new millennium is to harness the vast reservoir of knowledge, information, and associational energy that exist in public policy research organizations so that it supports self-sustaining economic, social, and political progress in every region of the world for public good.” 2015 Global Go To Think Tank Index report.
ACCORD is pleased to have been recognised for the sixth consecutive year as one of the top-100 Think Tanks in the world, and in the top-10 African Think Tanks, by the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) at the University of Pennsylvania, USA. The TTCSP conducts an annual survey of stakeholders and think tanks looking at Think Tank contributions and trends. The results are released as the Global Go To Think Tank Report.
In the 2015 report, released January 2016, ACCORD is proud to have been ranked as one of the world’s top Think Tanks in the following sub-categories:
- 32nd in the category ‘Top Think Tanks Worldwide (non-US)’, and highest ranked African institution in the category (page 46);
- 63rd in the category ‘Top Think Tanks Worldwide (US and non-US)’, (page 50);
- 05th in the category ‘Top Think Tanks in Sub-Saharan Africa’ (P.53), and highest ranked South African institution;
- 56th in the category ‘Top Social Policy Think Tank’ (P.101);
- 22nd in the category ‘Best Managed Think Tanks’ (P.113); and highest ranked South African institution;
- 30th in the category ‘Best Use of Social Networks’, and highest ranked African institution in the category (P.130).
The Index ranks the world’s top institutions based on responses from a pool of over 4750 academics, university administrators, journalists, policymakers, think tank practitioners and donors. Based on communication with TTCSP’s Global Think Tank Database with over 6800 Think Tanks, it is one of the largest such initiatives worldwide.
The sustainable and enduring impact of ACCORD’s work is built around its Knowledge Production and Interventions Departments, which strive to produce both experientially-based and academically rigorous knowledge, derived from over two decades of experience in the conflict management field, relevant to practitioners, governments, civil society and organisations within Africa and throughout the world. This combination of research and focused practice has allowed the institute to engage, learn, refine and contribute, influencing both policy and policy practitioners across the fields of Peacemaking, Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding
Now in its ninth year, the Global Go To Think Tank Index is one of the largest such initiatives worldwide. ACCORD, its Board of Trustees, and its staff are honoured to be ranked so highly for a sixth year running, alongside fellow African institutions and organisations.
More findings from the report as well as its methodology can be found by downloading it here.