This Africa Consultation on the 2020 Review of the UN Peacebuilding Architecture aims to take stock of progress to date and to look forward, with a view to further synchronising the peacebuilding work of the UN with that of the AU, Regional Economic Communities and Mechanisms (RECs/RMs), national authorities and local peacebuilders whose approaches to consolidating peace and rebuilding countries emerging from conflict are based on the AU Post-conflict Reconstruction and Development Policy which was adopted by the AU in Banjul, The Gambia in 2006.
The UN’s sustaining peace agenda and the AU’s post-conflict reconstruction and peacebuilding efforts within the context of Agenda 2030 and in line with implementing the AU Agenda 2063, especially its flagship programme of Silencing the Guns, are thus central to achieving a peaceful, prosperous and integrated Africa. The recent relapses of several post-conflict countries into violence and instability highlight the challenge, and therefore, the imperative for a more effective UN and AU partnership, framed around the objectives of effectively sustaining long-term peacebuilding and post-conflict reconstruction and development efforts.
Drawing upon lessons in sustaining peace and rebuilding countries emerging from conflict, the Webinar will explore how UN peacebuilding has contributed to establishing effective partnerships with especially local actors, such as youth and women’s groups. It will also aim to identify and assess the factors that influence the success of peacebuilding at the local level.
The webinar will be moderated by ACCORD’s Senior Advisor, Dr Cedric de Coning. Panellists for the webinar include:
- Dr Vasu Gounden, Founder and Executive Director, ACCORD
- Ambassador Mxolisi Nkosi, Deputy Director-General: Global Governance and Continental Agenda of South Africa, Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO), South Africa
- Dr Admore Mupoki Kambudzi, Director, Peace and Security Department, African Union Commission
- Dr Sarjoh Bah, Chief Advisor, Peace, Security and Governance, African Union Permanent Observer Mission to the United Nations
- Ambassador Liberata Mulamula, Independent Eminent Persons panel, 2020 Review of UN Peacebuilding
- Oscar Fernandez-Taranco, Assistant Secretary-General for Peacebuilding Support
We look forward to an interesting and engaging discussion with our panellists. To join the webinar, write to Ms Nontobeko Gcabashe at email@example.com for registration details.