An ACCORD Delegation led by Mr Vasu Gounden, Founder and Executive Director, visited Khartoum in 7-10 November 2012, to open lines for fruitful engagement with actors from various levels and backgrounds in Sudan. Additionally, the Khartoum visit provided an opportunity to understand the current situation on the ground, especially following the 27 September agreements with South Sudan, and thereby consider options for responsive programme design for ACCORD's initiatives in Sudan.
ACCORD was represented by its Peacebuilding and Peacemaking Units at the Global Thematic Consultation on Conflict and Fragility and the Post-2015 Development Agenda (Monrovia Consultation) from 29-20 November 2012. The Monrovia Consultation, which was co-organized by the Governments of Liberia and Finland, was initiated to solicit diverse and multi-sectoral inputs on issues relating to conflict, disasters and security.
The Republic of South Sudan's Peace Commission and the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for partnership in peace building in South Sudan. Peace Commission chairperson, Chuol Rambang and ACCORD chairperson Vasu Gounden, sign MoU in the presence of VP Riek Machar in Juba on 28 Nov. 2012 (ST)
As a means of creating an effective platform for comprehensive dialogue to tackle regional and global challenges, and to actively shape global agendas, in October the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO), in partnership with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) hosted a' Training Programme on Managing Regional and Global Governance' (MRGG) together with other leading institutions in South Africa.
ACCORD Trustee, Professor Wiseman Nkuhlu, has been appointed as a Trustee of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) Foundation for a three year period starting on 1 January 2013.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) conducted Conflict Management Support Training for Civil Affairs Officers (CAOs) in the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) in August, September and October 2012. These initial training courses are a result of a curriculum development process, with tailoring in line with the mission mandate, CAOs roles and functions, and the present context of South Sudan.
The Training for Peace Programme at ACCORD (TfP/ACCORD) has contributed to training courses conducted by the International Peace Support Training Centre (IPSTC) on the Protection of Civilians (PoC). The courses aimed to enhance participants' capacities to plan, implement and PoC activities in Peacekeeping operations.
ACCORD extends it condolences to the Gerwel family on the death of Professor Jakes Gerwel. Professor Jakes Gerwel passed away this morning after undergoing a triple heart by-pass about a week ago. He suffered a stroke on Thursday. Professor Gerwel was one of the five founding Trustees of ACCORD. He will be sadly missed by the Trustees and Staff of ACCORD.
In an ongoing quest to support mediation activities by the African Union and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in Africa, ACCORD has participated in the 7th bi-annual Mediation Support Network (MSN) Meeting, which served as a platform for promoting exchange about planned and on-going activities in mediation on the continent of Africa. The meeting took place from 10-11 October in Accra, Ghana.
Professor Aparajita Biswas, guest presenter at an ACCORD Internal Staff Seminarwhich was held at ACCORD's office in Durban on 28 September 2012, presented a paper titled 'Changing Perspectives of India's Engagements in Africa' to an audience of ACCORD staff members.
During an Internal Staff Seminar held on 8 August 2012 at the ACCORD offices in Durban, ACCORD Peacekeeping Unit Intern Priyal Singh explored how private security companies working in sub-Saharan Africa facilitate direct foreign investment to oil-rich countries. He examined why the presence of crude oil, and not good governance, is a major factor in explaining high direct foreign investment into particular countries in the region.
- Delegates at GPPAC Southern Africa network meeting agree on regional conflict prevention priority areas
- ACCORD engages with stakeholders for sustainable peacebuilding in the DRC
- ACCORD Supports AMISOM’s security and contingency plans for civilian and police personnel
- ACCORD facilitates Africa Regional Consultation on “Strengthening Partnerships for Civilian Capacities in the Aftermath of Conflict”
- ACCORD Burundi hosts roundtable on peacebuilding in Burundi and the Great Lakes
- ACCORD analyses peacebuilding architecture in Burundi and region
- ACCORD contributes to mobilisation of civilian capacity for peace operations in the global south
- ACCORD facilitates ongoing international training programme to develop African peace and security architecture
- TfP/ACCORD supports AMISOM to mainstream protection of civilians in its operations
- ACCORD participates in GPPAC Asia-Africa Learning Exchange on gender-sensitive conflict analysis
- ACCORD addresses growing role of civilians in sustaining peace at African Regional Peace Support Operations course
- ACCORD provides expert training in conflict resolution, climate change and environment
- ACCORD convenes African women mediators
- ACCORD participates in International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations
- ACCORD presents USAID with citation of appreciation for support over 20 years
- ACCORD Trustee and EXCOM Meetings
- ACCORD supports South Africa’s Defence Review Committee with public engagement on defence and security issues
- ACCORD participates in SADC key stakeholders’ roundtable on gender and development
- ACCORD 's Mutisi presents at prestigious ISA conference on global information age
- ACCORD builds local Liberian peacebuilding expertise on justice and security